Texas Tech Official Gamethread

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Texas Tech Official Gamethread

Post by pdub »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:59 am
Mjl wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:53 am Ochai and Jalen both were beating their guys off the dribble last night in OT.

If last night were the norm, then yeah, of course Remy should play way more than Juan. But we have enough offensive firepower that, as of this moment, I am with Self in going the lower ceiling/higher floor route. Another night or two like last night would probably swing the odds on that.
I have no evidence for this other than anecdotes.

But I wonder if the other 4 guys play better offensively with DH than with Remy. Remy disrupts the flow and I think guys might stand around watching to see what he does.
Right.
You can predict what Dejuan is going to do - which is a good thing and a bad thing.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:59 am
Mjl wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:53 am Ochai and Jalen both were beating their guys off the dribble last night in OT.

If last night were the norm, then yeah, of course Remy should play way more than Juan. But we have enough offensive firepower that, as of this moment, I am with Self in going the lower ceiling/higher floor route. Another night or two like last night would probably swing the odds on that.
I have no evidence for this other than anecdotes.

But I wonder if the other 4 guys play better offensively with DH than with Remy. Remy disrupts the flow and I think guys might stand around watching to see what he does.
I sense this too. Remy plays differently and it sometimes looks like he's thinking a step ahead of some of our other guys.

But, the only fix there is reps.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:00 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:57 am
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:48 am

Part of getting Remy ready though might be only playing him 20 mpg and allowing that knee to completely heal.
I also thought about this last night, but you don't stop short of playing him an extra 2-4 if you think it's going to win you a big game.
Yeah, the fact that he sat for SO LONG, the entirety of both OTs AND most of the end of regulation seemed weird.

But, I can't argue with the ultimate result. We got the W.
Choke away an 8 point lead, and need 2 overtimes and a 15%ish 3 pointer from Och. Just like we drew it up!
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:03 am
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:00 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:57 am

I also thought about this last night, but you don't stop short of playing him an extra 2-4 if you think it's going to win you a big game.
Yeah, the fact that he sat for SO LONG, the entirety of both OTs AND most of the end of regulation seemed weird.

Choke away an 8 point lead, and need 2 overtimes and a 15%ish 3 pointer from Och. Just like we drew it up!
True, but this isn't a situation where hindsight is 20/20 either.

This team needs to find ways to put teams away. The Big 12 is really good, but we should be beating these teams by 7-12 points, not 2.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, throwing a bunch of minutes at a low ceiling guy IS the gamble.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:03 am Choke away an 12 point lead, and need 2 overtimes and a 100%ish 3 pointer from Och. Just like we drew it up!
fyp
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:07 am Well, throwing a bunch of minutes at a low ceiling guy IS the gamble.
Yeah, but Pettiford and Yesefu both have the capability of having a stretch that looses a game for you, Remy to a lesser extent. I don't think Harris has that.

I get what you're saying he's also likely not going to be the reason you WIN a game either, but with the other guys we play, do we NEED that?

I mean game on the line last night and Och was the guy with Braun and Wilson as 2nd and 3rd options.
Last edited by PhDhawk on Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:05 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:03 am
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:00 am Yeah, the fact that he sat for SO LONG, the entirety of both OTs AND most of the end of regulation seemed weird.

True, but this isn't a situation where hindsight is 20/20 either.

This team needs to find ways to put teams away. The Big 12 is really good, but we should be beating these teams by 7-12 points, not 2.
Agreed. We were never going to be able to flesh this rotation out until Remy got right and, to a much smaller extent, if we knew if one of Adams or Clemence would emerge.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The Yesufu and Pettiford stuff almost has to be retired.

If Remy, a 2nd team, and two time 1st team All-P5 super senior takes this long to get comfortable in Self's system, Yesufu and Pettiford have no shot to do so by the end of February.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Playing Dejuan is like getting dealt a 10 with the dealer showing a 6 and not doubling down.
You're gonna be fine.
But you might do even better.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Perhaps it can debated whether the other guys played better with Remy in there.

There seemed to be more open looks for others created by a ballhandler defenses actually have to check on the perimeter.

What good is playing Dajuan for his PG skills if it’s still up to guys like Och and Jalen to beat their guy 1 on 1 anyway?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:13 am The Yesufu and Pettiford stuff almost has to be retired.

If Remy, a 2nd team, and two time 1st team All-P5 super senior takes this long to get comfortable in Self's system, Yesufu and Pettiford have no shot to do so by the end of February.
It’s not entirely out of the question one of those dudes checks in after a month on the bench and looks like some missing piece for even a few possessions.

Stranger things have happened.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:15 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:13 am The Yesufu and Pettiford stuff almost has to be retired.

It’s not entirely out of the question one of those dudes checks in after a month on the bench and looks like some missing piece for even a few possessions.

Stranger things have happened.
I think we have yet to see that from a guard in Bill's 2 decades here.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dangit.

Yeah maybe.

At least we can still ride Dajuan off into the sunset.

And by into the sunset I mean, another early exit in March while more talented guys have been riding pine and counting down the days til the transfer portal.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Juan had one turnover in the last two games combined, playing over 30 minutes against really good, pressure defenses, usually as the primary ball handler. That's why he plays.

Remy for that matter only has one TO also in those games, but 60% of the minutes. If he can keep that up he'll become the one that gets more minutes.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

JFC step away from the ledge Ous.....that or hurry up and jump.

We are a top 5 team in the country. NPOY candidate. CoY candidate. And have all of 2 losses.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And one of those was bc largely bc the official doesn't know what an offensive foul is.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:13 am Perhaps it can debated whether the other guys played better with Remy in there.

There seemed to be more open looks for others created by a ballhandler defenses actually have to check on the perimeter.

What good is playing Dajuan for his PG skills if it’s still up to guys like Och and Jalen to beat their guy 1 on 1 anyway?
I think you're creating a false assumption.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Mjl wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:20 am Juan had one turnover in the last two games combined, playing over 30 minutes against really good, pressure defenses, usually as the primary ball handler. That's why he plays.

Remy for that matter only has one TO also in those games, but 60% of the minutes. If he can keep that up he'll become the one that gets more minutes.
This is where I'm at.

Harris is our baseline. Remy needs to earn more minutes. Harris isn't doing things to loose them. I think Remy is and will continue to earn those minutes. And I think he's our best bet at PG to have our most success.

NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:33 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:13 am Perhaps it can debated whether the other guys played better with Remy in there.

I think you're creating a false assumption.
It may not lead to direct assists, but the eye test also seems like the ball just moves better when Harris is in there. Not that Remy doesn't move it, but he takes a split second longer to look at what's going on when he gets the ball. That's probably still the score first mentality he's played with his whole life.