Kids

Coffee talk.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Kids

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:13 am
pdub wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:44 pm Kids can be tough.
But a good partner would understand their significant other deserves some time off without any guilt.
Pretty much this.
Mrs. Newton has a big problem with this. I get out for a golf thing once a week for a few hours. But she feels really guilty if she leaves her kids. She's an overprotective mom. She tries, just can't do it long. Maybe once a month at the most is what she can stand. Trying to get her to branch out a bit more.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

How did she handle travelling nurse stuff? Must have been hard on her.
Defense. Rebounds.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

This could go in the covid thread too, but i settled on here....

To the parents out there....how are your children doing throughout the pandemic? In all aspects. Not just schooling.

Lots of concern out there about significant and irreversible damage being done to younger generations due to the covid situation the last year + (and counting)...just curious on how things are actually going instead of media talking points...

In my experience: kids are so damn adaptable and resilient. My kids have thrived during the pandemic so far (4 and 7). Obviously for a while things they liked were closed, but we managed. My daughter loved being home with my wife and i doing homeschooling and did a good job continuing to learn. My son even got to experience a little of that because we tried to include him in his own pre school type homeschool program. They are as close as they have ever been. Had to learn to play together better than they would have if they could do their own things. They aren't bothered by masks. Daughter transitioned back into in person learning towards the end of last year rather seamlessly (just to be safe we held her out longer than most parents did in her school district). Obviously none of it is ideal, but most kids i know have done (and are doing) better than a lot of adults have (obviously WAY different levels of stress and different kinds of stress)...

I just want to know do people think the worry warranted and/or is damage being done? Not in the extreme cases where other factors are at play (because the pandemic made those WAY worse), but for the poeple around here who i would imagine represent a decent segment of Americans.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Oh man, left wide open for a comment about illys kids. I'm gonna pass though.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:15 pm Oh man, left wide open for a comment about illys kids. I'm gonna pass though.
🤣🤣🤣

🎣🎣🎣
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

my kids are all encrusted on a towel I keep under the bed…
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the demographic least at risk of the fungus, is the one most screwed over by the decision makers.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Young folks can get the fungus too. My granddaughter did.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:27 pm Young folks can get the fungus too. My granddaughter did.
doesn’t matter, cuz it doesn’t affect mich
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Has anyone had success getting their kids to not be afraid of the basketball?

Google results for this suck.

My eight year old isn't going to be a great shooter or ball handler anytime soon, so I'm having her focus on defense and rebounding - the rebounds are there for anyone who's aggressive regardless of size or athleticism at that age.

I talked to her about having a mindset that every rebound belongs to her and she's going to go after it with two hands and her whole body. I set a 3-rebound goal one game and she got it - but the next she was back to running away from them.

She says she wants to play - we don't force her to. But I don't see how it can be fun when you're afraid of the ball.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Man sometimes it's tough when you have to wait for them to gain a comfort level. My oldest was scared of contact in football as he was 8 and 9. Then this past year as he's 10, he became comfortable and an absolute physical kid.

It just takes time.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

My son tried and hated every sport, until lacrosse, which he loves. So now that’s year round for him.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Mjl wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:51 pm Has anyone had success getting their kids to not be afraid of the basketball?

Google results for this suck.

My eight year old isn't going to be a great shooter or ball handler anytime soon, so I'm having her focus on defense and rebounding - the rebounds are there for anyone who's aggressive regardless of size or athleticism at that age.

I talked to her about having a mindset that every rebound belongs to her and she's going to go after it with two hands and her whole body. I set a 3-rebound goal one game and she got it - but the next she was back to running away from them.

She says she wants to play - we don't force her to. But I don't see how it can be fun when you're afraid of the ball.
maybe have her try passes to herself against a wall…bounce pass, so that it goes ground -> wall -> her
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Eh, teach your kids art and music instead. Much better for the mind in the long run.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Tell us that you're white and affluent without telling us that you're white and affluent:
jfish26 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:25 pm My son tried and hated every sport, until lacrosse, which he loves. So now that’s year round for him.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:34 pm Tell us that you're white and affluent without telling us that you're white and affluent:
jfish26 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:25 pm My son tried and hated every sport, until lacrosse, which he loves. So now that’s year round for him.
lol, you're not wrong
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:34 pm Tell us that you're white and affluent without telling us that you're white and affluent:
Yeah, I was wondering if he didn’t warm up to polo because of horse poop
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:48 pm
lol, you're not wrong
Like most stereotypes, there’s some roots in truth here!

I can tell you though that the cost isn’t different, and is in many cases less, than other “club” travel sports. Baseball and hockey cost more. Gymnastics costs materially more. Even soccer is creeping way up there.

People are really good about handing gear down, which blunts the cost significantly.

It’s an entire industrial construct to itself.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:02 am
Cascadia wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:48 pm

lol, you're not wrong
Like most stereotypes, there’s some roots in truth here!

I can tell you though that the cost isn’t different, and is in many cases less, than other “club” travel sports. Baseball and hockey cost more. Gymnastics costs materially more. Even soccer is creeping way up there.

People are really good about handing gear down, which blunts the cost significantly.

It’s an entire industrial construct to itself.
Obviously your post primarily focuses on money/cost - and not race.

Meanwhile, I am somewhat ashamed to say my parents had no problem letting me play organized hockey as a kid. A sport in which if I am not mistaken, there was a grand total of one African American kid who was my age that played in our community.

Sorry folks, maybe I am putting too much in to racial diversity and maybe it's a lot easier said than done but if I had a kid I would probably prefer he/she participated in sports that are not dominated by/with wealthy white people. Then again, of course where I chose to live might have a strong bearing on that.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.