Royals

Other Sports.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Royals

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:58 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:35 pm Melendez is going to be really nice when Salvy moves to 1B/DH full time in a year or so.
Why not just let Perez and Melendez rotate between DH and C with Salvy getting less C reps as he ages.
If they both hit enough to justify DH (or even 1b) this works. Odds of that are still not strong. Which is why I’d be quietly finding a challenge trade for Melendez. Some other really good prospect who is blocked.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Ideally an outfielder.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I keep Melendez and share DH. A catcher like that is hard to replace. Salvy is on the downswing side and I value his bat more now.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Sparko wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:55 pm I keep Melendez and share DH. A catcher like that is hard to replace. Salvy is on the downswing side and I value his bat more now.
Agree completely. If you have a good catcher prospect, you have to keep him. Let Salvy play 1B and DH more. Especially if Santana's market is going to increase because of universal DH.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Yay!!! Still locked out.

I hate the business side of baseball so freaking much.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:54 am
Sparko wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:55 pm I keep Melendez and share DH. A catcher like that is hard to replace. Salvy is on the downswing side and I value his bat more now.
Agree completely. If you have a good catcher prospect, you have to keep him. Let Salvy play 1B and DH more. Especially if Santana's market is going to increase because of universal DH.
I don't think Santana has positive trade value.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Sparko wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:55 am Yay!!! Still locked out.

Yes, but let's stop any narrative that this is a "Rich vs. Rich" battle.

The owners continue to try and jam (b)(m)illions of profits into their pockets which the players will never be able to negotiate back.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:38 pm

The owners continue to try and jam (b)(m)illions of profits into their pockets which the players will never be able to negotiate back.
The concept of "owner" is cringe-worthy. Hoping there is competitive balance and maybe some money clawed back from the space traveling set.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:54 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:38 pm

The concept of "owner" is cringe-worthy. Hoping there is competitive balance and maybe some money clawed back from the space traveling set.
Short of ending the antitrust exemption (which will not happen), the only ways to really "claw anything back" from the owners is (1) governments at every level stop subsidizing stadiums, and (2) players get more of the pot (and the pot is comprehensive and includes things like Ballpark Village (St. Louis) and The Battery (Atlanta).
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

MLB is broken and has been for a long time now. Players want more money but essentially refuse to give anything back to the owners.

I'm not on either side
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:23 am MLB is broken and has been for a long time now. Players want more money but essentially refuse to give anything back to the owners.

I'm not on either side
What exactly should players be giving back to the owners?

The fact is that the players got trampled in the last round of CBA negotiations, because they used players and former players as negotiators. You know how giddy the owners were to get gobs and gobs and gobs of money in exchange for trivial shit like veterans getting hotel suites on the road?

My god.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:36 am
Cascadia wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:23 am MLB is broken and has been for a long time now. Players want more money but essentially refuse to give anything back to the owners.

I'm not on either side

The fact is that the players got trampled in the last round of CBA negotiations, because they used players and former players as negotiators. You know how giddy the owners were to get gobs and gobs and gobs of money in exchange for trivial shit like veterans getting hotel suites on the road?

My god.

That one thing that nearly every other professional sports league has.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:37 am

I'm not on either side

My god.

Which is all well and good, except that all a cap does is shove more money to the owners.

If a cap would result in lower ticket prices, no more public stadium funding, free and universal streaming, meaningful community initiatives, treating minor leaguers like humans, and so on, I'd be all about it.

But it'd just be more yachts and Citations, more Yellowstone Club hideaways, and so on. So, fuck that.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:41 am

My god.

Which is all well and good, except that all a cap does is shove more money to the owners.

If a cap would result in lower ticket prices, no more public stadium funding, free and universal streaming, meaningful community initiatives, treating minor leaguers like humans, and so on, I'd be all about it.

But it'd just be more yachts and Citations, more Yellowstone Club hideaways, and so on. So, fuck that.
That's not the point.

The point is the players always refuse to give anything so we play this same game ever 10 years or so.

I get that you're anti-owner but that doesn't change this situation any.

I guess I've never fundamentally understood why people think players should get more money
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:44 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:41 am

That's not the point.

The point is the players always refuse to give anything so we play this same game ever 10 years or so.

I get that you're anti-owner but that doesn't change this situation any.

I guess I've never fundamentally understood why people think players should get more money
Because it's a two-sided, zero-sum game.

The money goes to either the players, or the owners. That's it.

Yes, you can find examples of players who end up making fuck you money, but the vast majority of them don't (particularly with the owners figuring out how to maximize the value (to them) of the service time construct).

What you can't find an example of is an owner who ever lost money on buying a team. Even the shittiest, grossest, most incompetent ones make hundreds of millions (or in excess of a billion) on their investments. It's riskless.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yeah, this is one of those "you're either with us or with the terrorists" deals.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I understand all that, but why should the players get more money?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Maybe fans need a seat at the table for these negotiations. Cause fans are REALLY the only ones getting fucked here.

Maybe there should be a hotdog and beer price cap. Maybe revenue sharing of parking that goes to the fans. Ticket prices are subsidized by t-shirt and cap sales.
Last edited by PhDhawk on Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:01 am Maybe fans need a seat at the table for these negotiations. Cause fans are REALLY the only ones getting fucked here.

Maybe their should be a hotdog and beer price cap. Maybe revenue sharing of parking that goes to the fans. Ticket prices are subsidized by t-shirt and cap sales.
This right here.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:14 am
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:01 am Maybe fans need a seat at the table for these negotiations. Cause fans are REALLY the only ones getting fucked here.

Maybe their should be a hotdog and beer price cap. Maybe revenue sharing of parking that goes to the fans. Ticket prices are subsidized by t-shirt and cap sales.
This right here.
Ok, but this is wishcasting. The owners don't even really need fans to go to games anymore, and that's only getting worse as legalized gambling comes into the picture.

Literally the only power "people" really have here is (1) to stop watching/gambling, etc., and (2) stop funding stadiums.

If you could promise me that "owners" winning any part of these negotiations would be good for fans, I'd be all ears. But that's not how it works. Two-sided, zero sum game.