March Madness 2022

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: March Madness 2022

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:37 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:34 am I will say this, if Yesufu sticks it out, an offseason with our staff and the other trainers our guys go to work with could prove to be a huge benefit to Yesufu. Maybe he will look like a totally different guy next year. I want him to succeed here, i just don't hate DH as much as some of you.
No one hates Dajuan Harris. Everything is so zero-sum around here.
Someone just said that DH, a sophomore, is done improving. That's just dumb.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:27 am
Sparko wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:25 am Illy going full contrarian is like the sun rising in the east. Yes is faster, stronger and has a better shot. He has really shown flashes of tremendous skill. DH is about where he will stay. He is a complementary guard and great as backup. Remy is back and it has really helped.
If Harris had a high ceiling, we would not be discussing Remy or Yesufu today or at any point this season.
And yet, there is always an argument to be had. Even though I contend it is really just contradiction. Abuse is in the game thread across the hall. : )
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:35 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:32 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:27 am

And yet his 3pt % is higher than Yesufu's.
He plays 9 minutes a game. I dont care what his stats are in 9 minutes a game with the rest of the bench guys. When Yesefu was playing 22 minutes a game he shot 38%. I assume that if he was playing 22+mpg here and on the floor with the starters more that he would shoot closer to that 38%.
Much easier to score against Drake level competition. Agree? Defense impacts shooting %.

He plays with our starters plenty. Stop it.
He also scored 26 points with 5 rebounds and 2 assists and just 2 turnovers against USC last year. 6-11 from 3. The rest of his team was 1-12.

Give him minutes and a free mind to make some little mistakes here and there, Yes can be really damn good. Better than Bobby and it's not close either, IMO.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:39 am
He plays 9 minutes a game. I dont care what his stats are in 9 minutes a game with the rest of the bench guys. When Yesefu was playing 22 minutes a game he shot 38%. I assume that if he was playing 22+mpg here and on the floor with the starters more that he would shoot closer to that 38%.
Much easier to score against Drake level competition. Agree? Defense impacts shooting %.
It would make sense for Yesufu's points per possession, FTA's, and 2P% to decrease after coming to Kansas, but not necessarily his 3P%.
Why not 3pt? You don't think he's facing longer taller more athletic defensive players at KU than Drake? They aren't even comparable based on the game logs of opponents I am seeing for his time at Drake.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

it must be satisfying. dedicating your morning to convincing the malcontents that our current starting pg is the worst in the last 20 years. how satisfying that must be.

i wonder if this is the kind of stuff HCBW was talking about when he said the kids should stay away from the social medias.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

It would make sense for Yesufu's points per possession, FTA's, and 2P% to decrease after coming to Kansas, but not necessarily his 3P%.
It's called pressing when you know you are only going to get a few minutes to impact the game.
Deleted User 863

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:41 am

He also scored 26 points with 5 rebounds and 2 assists and just 2 turnovers against USC last year. 6-11 from 3. The rest of his team was 1-12.

Give him minutes and a free mind to make some little mistakes here and there, Yes can be really damn good. Better than Bobby and it's not close either, IMO.
He did have good individual stats in the USC game where his team was not really competitive. I just don't think that's worth that much now that we've seen him at KU.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:42 am it must be satisfying. dedicating your morning to convincing the malcontents that our current starting pg is the worst in the last 20 years. how satisfying that must be.

i wonder if this is the kind of stuff HCBW was talking about when he said the kids should stay away from the social medias.
It's called having a discussion and evaluating the performance of players. Adults do it all the time. And yes, if players are the type to get their feelings hurt or their confidence shaken by reading negative comments about them and their play then they should stay off social media.
Last edited by twocoach on Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:42 am

Why not 3pt? You don't think he's facing longer taller more athletic defensive players at KU than Drake? They aren't even comparable based on the game logs of opponents I am seeing for his time at Drake.
Just look at CB's roller coaster his entire career from the perimeter. It depends so much on streaks, shot quality that can be based on how good the rest of your team is, a little luck, etc.

Over 100's 3 pt shots at Drake vs. KU or wherever, I think you mostly are what your percentage says. Much more concerning to me is that Yesufu had a ton of FT attempts in his big scoring games. That's not happening here.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:43 am

It's called pressing when you know you are only going to get a few minutes to impact the game.
LOL

All the excuses in the world for Yesufu. All things like "pressing" and "ceilings". Stuff that can't truly be measured. Especially only watching games and not knowing the players.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:40 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:37 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:34 am I will say this, if Yesufu sticks it out, an offseason with our staff and the other trainers our guys go to work with could prove to be a huge benefit to Yesufu. Maybe he will look like a totally different guy next year. I want him to succeed here, i just don't hate DH as much as some of you.
No one hates Dajuan Harris. Everything is so zero-sum around here.
Someone just said that DH, a sophomore, is done improving. That's just dumb.
Sparko said that DH is about where he will end up. And, he's really a junior right?

I think Zack Greinke is certainly done improving, and I don't hate him either.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:46 am

LOL

All the excuses in the world for Yesufu. All things like "pressing" and "ceilings". Stuff that can't truly be measured. Especially only watching games and not knowing the players.
We haven't seen Yesefu play in that type of role yet while at Kansas so we are left to speculate about what might happen if given the chance. It's no different than "he isn't a guy who can get 20". Maybe he will improve over the offseason enough to get those types of opportunities so he can prove what he can do, maybe he won't who knows.

Honestly, I hope KU has enough talent on their roster next year that Yesefu is still coming off the bench for another season. Harris or a transfer PG, Braun, Dick, Wilson and whoever starts at center.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:53 am
LOL

We haven't seen Yesefu play in that type of role yet while at Kansas so we are left to speculate about what might happen if given the chance. It's no different than "he isn't a guy who can get 20". Maybe he will improve over the offseason enough to get those types of opportunities so he can prove what he can do, maybe he won't who knows.

Honestly, I hope KU has enough talent on their roster next year that Yesefu is still coming off the bench for another season. Harris or a transfer PG, Braun, Dick, Wilson and whoever starts at center.
Yesufu is never going to play the "take 20 shots per game" role at KU thay he did at Drake.

Och is 1st team AA and doesn't take as many shots per game as Yesufu did during his hot streak at Drake the 2nd half of last season.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:56 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:53 am
LOL

Yesufu is never going to play the "take 20 shots per game" role at KU thay he did at Drake.

Och is 1st team AA and doesn't take as many shots per game as Yesufu did during his hot streak at Drake the 2nd half of last season.
I just mean being in the role of being a regular rotation guy who is a regular contributor to the offense and not worried about when or if he will play again if he doesn't do something good ASAP.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:44 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:41 am

He did have good individual stats in the USC game where his team was not really competitive. I just don't think that's worth that much now that we've seen him at KU.
I mean, shit. We've talked about this before.

His last 9 games were something like 23 ppg, 2 apg and 2 rpg. Dajuan only beats him in assists per game over that span. Yes far better ceiling and it's not close.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Bill will never let Yesufu play the way DeVries let him play towards the end of his time at Drake...where they basically let him ball-out however he wanted after Roman Penn got hurt.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Yesefu is an example of how having a ton of depth can hurt an individuals play because he is always looking over his shoulder knowing he's on a short leash and one bad pass or shot and hes back on the bench. Its a tough role to play well in.

But for a program its a great problem to have
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the counter point to that though, is that it forces guys to do what Self wants (otherwise they get pulled)

it would seem like they would do better taking care of the ball, and then run the offense the way their coach wants…both sooner than if they had no fear/worries about getting pulled
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

InfiniteJ wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:45 am Bill will never let Yesufu play the way DeVries let him play towards the end of his time at Drake...where they basically let him ball-out however he wanted after Roman Penn got hurt.
Correction... Yesefu will never be on a roster at Kansas so devoid of other options like he was at the end of that season at Drake. Quite frankly, Remy Martin had the same problem because Arizona State had no better option than for Martin to jack up terrible shots. It has taken him nearly all season to figure out how to function as one of 4-5 options out on the floor rather than one of 1-2 options.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Yesefu will be alright tho. Remy and och are gone. Braun and Wilson could potentially try to leave. Theres a lot of minutes available next season that yesefu is next in line for. Hes got a big opportunity ahead of him at KU if he sticks around