Kansas Basketball.
Soklous

Re: WELCOME JALEN WILSON

Post by Soklous »

I am, I said.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I love watching this guy play, and I want to appreciate it now, because my gut tells me he gone.

The way he busts ass for rebounds, and gets them in traffic, or way out of his area, is just so damn fun to watch. 6'8" dude who can reallllly rebound, and can handle the ball, run the floor, guard guards, drive aggressively to the basket, and keep you honest enough with his jumper.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

I think we will get 1 more year of Jalen. It's interesting that CB has kind of stalled out, but his draft stock is holding relatively steady. Meanwhile Jalen has kind of found his stride and his NBA stock hasn't moved much. Just not sure there is a position Jalen can play in the NBA.

But if Kyle Anderson and Georges Niang can stay employed then anything is possible.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

But that's just the point - you have to work a lot harder to find workable comps for Wilson than you do for Braun.

Some people (not aimed at you) act like you're burning someone's puppy alive if you are skeptical of a guy's draft stock. The fact is that Wilson's frame and athleticism don't work. He's not (right now!) skilled enough to be an NBA guard/wing, and he's not nearly big/athletic enough to be an NBA wing/forward.

He is a tremendously useful college player, but he comes about his production in college in a way that is simply not translatable to the NBA.

Braun is different. It doesn't take an NBA knower to see that he just has a stronger toolkit, when it comes to next-level purposes.
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

Mjl wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:33 pm I love watching this guy play, and I want to appreciate it now, because my gut tells me he gone.

The way he busts ass for rebounds, and gets them in traffic, or way out of his area, is just so damn fun to watch. 6'8" dude who can reallllly rebound, and can handle the ball, run the floor, guard guards, drive aggressively to the basket, and keep you honest enough with his jumper.
jalen is my favorite.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Jalen has been very clutch in the tourney and does a great job on the boards, especially at the offensive end where he seems to get 1-3 put backs a game. Crucial player in this Final Four run and I appreciate his hard work and drive. Yet another easy kid to cheer for.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He's been a stud in the second half of the season.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I think he's gone. He tested it last year. He just isn't athletic enough to get drafted anywhere near the 1st round. But he is baller. Maybe he can luck out and get a chance with the right situation. But I don't see him staying in college another year benefiting his professional stock
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I wonder what Jalen could do for his draft stock if he came back and showed improvements all around - to his jumper, finishing, playmaking, and overall usage; in addition to his elite rebounding and above average handles for his size and position.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:45 pm I wonder what Jalen could do for his draft stock if he came back and showed improvements all around - to his jumper, finishing, playmaking, and overall usage; in addition to his elite rebounding and above average handles for his size and position.
It certainly wouldn't hurt...but his shooting didn't make much improvement from last year (maybe even worse).

The biggest thing for him is to simply become the best basketball player he can be. He can't try to fit into a mold as much as some other guys because he's sort of a man without a position.

I think he absolutely needs to use up his college eligibility and continue to grow as a player. Both skill wise and strength wise. I don't think he could survive in the NBA right now. So much of his game is below the rim. And he's the size of some of the most "above the rim" type guys in the NBA.

He has plenty of room to continue to grow. Maybe even add some more athleticism to his game.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd like him to come back and work on his game enough to where he'd be guaranteed to be drafted.
I still think he can be.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Jalen is a better shooter than his numbers suggest. He was insanely cold coming off his suspension. 2-22 from 3 in the non-con and 42% from the line. When you only play 35 games, it doesn't take many cold nights to skew the percentages and he was cold the entire non-con.
Deleted User 863

He's had 2 full seasons, so his career numbers are a big enough sample size for me.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:15 pm I'd like him to come back and work on his game enough to where he'd be guaranteed to be drafted.
I still think he can be.
Yes. And he has 2 entire years if he wants.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Conference numbers more reflect his game.
53% FG.
34% 3FG.
64% 2FG.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:18 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:15 pm I'd like him to come back and work on his game enough to where he'd be guaranteed to be drafted.
I still think he can be.
Is it 2, or 3 with the covid freebie?

Or does he not get a covid freebie cuz he medical redshirted that year?
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:23 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:18 pm
I still think he can be.
Is it 2, or 3 with the covid freebie?

Or does he not get a covid freebie cuz he medical redshirted that year?
Don't think he gets a freebie, but at this point I can't keep up with all the freebies transfers redshirts medical redshirts.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah.

Leave it to the NCAA to deny a kid eligibility cuz he got hurt.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It's purely academic in Wilson's case.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Don't think it matters if he has a freebie, can't see him sticking around.

Maybeeee, just maybe, one more year. If I had to bet today i would say he's gone though