WELCOME JALEN WILSON

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: WELCOME JALEN WILSON

Post by Deleted User 863 »

I don't think anyone is being cheated out of eligibility in this instance....but I suppose I would be completely fine if kids had unlimited eligibility. Let Mitch be our back up big until he is 35. He'd love it.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

randylahey wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:31 pmIf I had to bet today i would say he's gone though
Save for Bill Self, I don't care if everyone leaves provided we hang that banner.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the ncaa is not denying the children much of anything anymore. they can get paid. they get a free education if they choose. almost unlimited eligibility......see JCL, Mitch, charlie moore.

it's basically a free for all now.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It's great to see the NCAA finally encouraging student athletes to stay in school.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:28 pm Yeah.

Leave it to the NCAA to deny a kid eligibility cuz he got hurt.
Everyone who as on a roster that season gets an extra yea of eligibility. Wilson has played two seasons and if I understand correctly, has three years of eligibility remaining.

"Typically, student athletes are granted five years to play four seasons of their sport; However, due to the non-traditional 2020-21 sports season caused by COVID-19, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) extended this eligibility to six years.

The extension is two-fold, including both a season competition waiver and an eligibility extension. The season of competition waiver ensures that none of the 2020-21 fall or winter sports seasons count towards an athlete’s year of eligibility — whether the athlete competed or not. The extension of eligibility gives students the opportunity to return for an extra year.

The waiver and eligibility extension are valid for all athletes, whether they were freshmen or had initially expected to graduate in 2021."

https://www.dailycardinal.com/article/2 ... ligibility
Deleted User 863

So does in Jalen's case that just mean that he didn't have to use a redshirt and still has that available? Or does he actually get to play 5 full seasons of competition?

Tia
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:17 pm He's had 2 full seasons, so his career numbers are a big enough sample size for me.
I don't want to dig and find the comments right now, but weren't you the one getting on other posters for implying Harris is who is and is done improving? Now that's flipped and Jalen is the one who can no longer improve.

Also odd considering his FG% jump over 5% and FT% jumped over 7% from year 1 to year 2. Even with that ice cold non-con stretch. That tells me he made a pretty big improvement, and no reason to think he still can't get better. It's not a stretch for him to be a 50/35/80 shooter.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:34 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:17 pm He's had 2 full seasons, so his career numbers are a big enough sample size for me.
I don't want to dig and find the comments right now, but weren't you the one getting on other posters for implying Harris is who is and is done improving? Now that's flipped and Jalen is the one who can no longer improve.

Also odd considering his FG% jump over 5% and FT% jumped over 7% from year 1 to year 2. Even with that ice cold non-con stretch. That tells me he made a pretty big improvement, and no reason to think he still can't get better. It's not a stretch for him to be a 50/35/80 shooter.
Harris has a ton of room to improve. despite me bitching about him this season, its what makes me excited about his future.

He is weak. needs to add weight and muscle. That can easily be achieved just by putting in the time and work. start eating boy. He can improve his strength, explosiveness, and athleticism that way.

His other big weakness is his jump shot. Our staff has a proven track record of improving guys shots (agbaji, svi, frank, etc)

so dajuan should definitely improve in those areas. and what he does well are some things that are hard to teach, like taking care of the ball. I'm excited about dajuan's future, especially when you consider he already has so much experience and isn't gonna be a guy that ever leaves early to the draft
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Dajuan has been here for 3 seasons, his weight and shot seem to be what they are.

His shot problem looks to be less Aaron Miles/Tyshawn Taylor and more Marcus Garrett.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I would like to see Dajuan add a consistent and deadly teardrop/floater in the paint. He does that and I think it makes a world of difference for the offense.

And, while I don't see him adding weight, that doesn't mean he can't get stronger. Which should help him finishing at the rim. He can barely get over the rim for a dunk--get stronger and he throws it down.
Last edited by CrimsonNBlue on Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

randylahey wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:47 pm

Harris has a ton of room to improve. despite me bitching about him this season, its what makes me excited about his future.

He is weak. needs to add weight and muscle. That can easily be achieved just by putting in the time and work. start eating boy. He can improve his strength, explosiveness, and athleticism that way.

His other big weakness is his jump shot. Our staff has a proven track record of improving guys shots (agbaji, svi, frank, etc)

so dajuan should definitely improve in those areas. and what he does well are some things that are hard to teach, like taking care of the ball. I'm excited about dajuan's future, especially when you consider he already has so much experience and isn't gonna be a guy that ever leaves early to the draft
Completely agree. As long as a player is still on campus, they aren't done improving.

My wish for Harris is not for him to be some deadeye sniper, but just someone who has enough confidence in his shot, and the ability to make it enough where the defense has to at least account for him. He doesn't need to become some 45% 3 point shooter taking 7 per game. Just make the open shot on an extra pass at a fairly consistent clip.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

am i alone in thinking that JW would help himself the most by improving his quickness?

he seems to have difficulty actually getting around defenders in the half-court. in the open court he seems to do relatively ok, but just needs a quicker first step
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I think he's quick for his size.

His shot looks good, it just doesn't go in. I think that can improve in college - but I also think the scouts will see that and figure they can improve that in the league.

The out-of-area rebounds and rebounds in traffic are something that, at least 10 years ago, the NBA teams were really into. That was one of the first things they wanted from the player-tracking data. I think that's going to get him in the door.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If a player like Jalen is gonna get scout’s attention, he’s gotta at least do something at some exceptional level. His rebounding may be that. He’s got above average handles for his size too.

If Dajuan develops a floater, that would be so rad. Or a jumper. Or more of a finishing game at the rim. Or, as generally as possible, just even pretend he’s driving with at least some interest in scoring. He seems to drive with the intent to pass or back it out, and defensive scouting reports seem to take advantage.
Deleted User 863

I didn't say he couldn't improve. I actually have said the opposite.

You said "he's a better shooter than his numbers suggest". I said i think his sample size is large enough to paint an accurate picture. That doesn't mean he can't get better. All he has to do is look at Och to see shooting can be improved.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:50 pm Dajuan has been here for 3 seasons, his weight and shot seem to be what they are.

His shot problem looks to be less Aaron Miles/Tyshawn Taylor and more Marcus Garrett.
He's a 37% 3pt shooter.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:55 pm
I didn't say he couldn't improve. I actually have said the opposite.

You said "he's a better shooter than his numbers suggest". I said i think his sample size is large enough to paint an accurate picture. That doesn't mean he can't get better. All he has to do is look at Och to see shooting can be improved.
And that picture is that he's actually improved his shot by quite a bit from freshman to sophomore season, which is why I think he's a better shooter than his numbers suggest he is and you can't trust those percentages, no matter the size of the sample.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:58 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:50 pm Dajuan has been here for 3 seasons, his weight and shot seem to be what they are.

He's a 37% 3pt shooter.
On how many attempts?

In a sense, if he passes up an open shot, perhaps multiple open shots, perhaps in the same possession, that should almost count as a miss.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:58 pm

He's a 37% 3pt shooter.
On completely uncontested shots.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:51 pm So does in Jalen's case that just mean that he didn't have to use a redshirt and still has that available? Or does he actually get to play 5 full seasons of competition?

Tia
A medical redshirt wiped out his first year so it doesn't count. He then played two seasons. With the additional covid season, that means he now has three seasons of eligibility remaining if he wanted to use it, which he almost certainly will not. Because of the medical redshirt season, if Jalen used all of his eligibility, he would be a 6th year guy like Mitch Lightfoot. So yes, he would get to play five full seasons of competition just as Mitch Lightfoot is now in his fifth season of playing for Kansas.