WELCOME JALEN WILSON

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: WELCOME JALEN WILSON

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:19 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:58 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:50 pm Dajuan has been here for 3 seasons, his weight and shot seem to be what they are.

His shot problem looks to be less Aaron Miles/Tyshawn Taylor and more Marcus Garrett.
He's a 37% 3pt shooter.
On how many attempts?

In a sense, if he passes up an open shot, perhaps multiple open shots, perhaps in the same possession, that should almost count as a miss.
It only counts as a miss if he takes a shot and misses that shot. Sometimes it's smart to pass up an open shot for someone else to get a better shot. Occasionally he does pass up shots that lead to worse shots, but i can live with that when you've got Remy Och CB JW and Dave on your team who are all better options. He needs to take shots, but there is a fine line. You don't want to settle for what the defense wants you to take.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:23 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:19 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:58 pm

He's a 37% 3pt shooter.
On how many attempts?

In a sense, if he passes up an open shot, perhaps multiple open shots, perhaps in the same possession, that should almost count as a miss.
It only counts as a miss if he takes a shot and misses that shot. Sometimes it's smart to pass up an open shot for someone else to get a better shot. Occasionally he does pass up shots that lead to worse shots, but i can live with that when you've got Remy Och CB JW and Dave on your team who are all better options. He needs to take shots, but there is a fine line. You don't want to settle for what the defense wants you to take.
This has been said here countless times but it's not the percentage that matters. It's the fact that opponents sag off of him so bad that it makes it more difficult for every other Kansas player on the floor.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I don't think anyone is suggesting Harris takes a 3 with 24 seconds left on the clock after one pass. But when you get into the last half of the shot clock, there's no guarantee you're going to get a better shot than a Harris 3 with 10-12 seconds left on the shot clock. And if he can knock that in at 37% it's going to at least change the opponent mindset in late clock situations. Sag off him for the first 20 seconds, but it would still open up driving lanes for the other, better scoring guys in the last 10.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Ina nutshell, every player would be a better player if they shot better.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:35 amBut when you get into the last half of the shot clock, there's no guarantee you're going to get a better shot than a Harris 3 with 10-12 seconds left on the shot clock.
Money Mitch.

But this is why Harris needs to develop a teardrop.
Deleted User 863

NDballer13 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:35 am I don't think anyone is suggesting Harris takes a 3 with 24 seconds left on the clock after one pass. But when you get into the last half of the shot clock, there's no guarantee you're going to get a better shot than a Harris 3 with 10-12 seconds left on the shot clock. And if he can knock that in at 37% it's going to at least change the opponent mindset in late clock situations. Sag off him for the first 20 seconds, but it would still open up driving lanes for the other, better scoring guys in the last 10.
10-12 seconds on the shot clock is an eternity. That means we've likely only ran about 10 seconds of offense.

I don't want him passing up open looks with 4 seconds on the shot clock, but I don't want him taking 10 shots a game either because he's settling for what the defense wants with 12 seconds left on the shot clock.

I think what we are doing is working. Yes they sometimes sag off him, but our staff has done a great job of teaching him to attack the sag off and get easy buckets for others, instead of always settling for jumpers. He shoots 44% on 5 attempts and averages 4 assists per game. He's having a great sophomore year.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

But even with 10-12 seconds left, Harris is still not likely to take that 3. Rather, he’ll drive but drive only to pass, to like CB, who will then pass up a serviceably open 3 himself, and then force some awkward runner while the clock expires
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:52 am But even with 10-12 seconds left, Harris is still not likely to take tha to 3. Rather, he’ll drive but drive only to pass, to like CB, who will then pass up a serviceably open 3 himself, and then force some awkward runner while the clock expires
That sounds like a CB problem, not a DH problem.

You will not be able to convince me that DH should be shooting 3s with 10+ seconds left on the shot clock on a regular basis.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:52 am But even with 10-12 seconds left, Harris is still not likely to take that 3. Rather, he’ll drive but drive only to pass, to like CB, who will then pass up a serviceably open 3 himself, and then force some awkward runner while the clock expires
I honestly don't know what you're watching.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Pre-Remy, if this team was getting to 10 seconds on the shot clock, I'm thinking about our guys getting back in transition defense.

His presence changes that whole scenario--not sure why we're concerned about DH improving his shot in the offseason the day before the Final Four.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:54 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:52 am But even with 10-12 seconds left, Harris is still not likely to take tha to 3. Rather, he’ll drive but drive only to pass, to like CB, who will then pass up a serviceably open 3 himself, and then force some awkward runner while the clock expires
That sounds like a CB problem, not a DH problem.

You will not be able to convince me that DH should be shooting 3s with 10+ seconds left on the shot clock on a regular basis.
No one is trying to?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DH shouldn’t be shooting 3s with 10+ seconds left, but pretty much every other D1 guard should be.

Assuming they’re at least serviceably open.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mjl wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:57 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:52 am But even with 10-12 seconds left, Harris is still not likely to take that 3. Rather, he’ll drive but drive only to pass, to like CB, who will then pass up a serviceably open 3 himself, and then force some awkward runner while the clock expires
I honestly don't know what you're watching.
Dude, CB passes up plenty of 3s, and gets criticized for it here quite a bit. He looks to drive much more so than shoot, which is mostly OK cuz that’s his game, but sometimes it does mean foregoing an open 3 for what may not otherwise be the best look from 2.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I meant with Harris. He drives to score several times a game. He's looking to pass first, sure, that's his role, and Self always talks about driving to pass.