2022-2023 Lineup

Kansas Basketball.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: 2022-2023 Lineup

Post by KUTradition »

patience has zero to do with my comments/questions
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

How many of these guys bolt if there really is a postseason ban next year?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:54 pm patience has zero to do with my comments/questions
Are you familiar with bill self? He tends to favor experienced guys who know what to do in his system. Im not convinced Rice is any better than Wayne Selden was coming in.

A guard in high school who was a bigger stronger more athletic prospect and bullied people athletically, but wasn't actually that good at basketball yet. Selden joined a shitty inexperienced team, Rice is not. Rice won't be forced to play starter minutes right off the bat, and probably isn't ready to. Being a 6'5 athletic guard is special in high school, its barely noticed in college. Rice is going to need to improve his shooting, playmaking, and defense before he's locked into any starting lineups
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Possibly.
But if he's Selden good, he'd start over Yes.

I know the excuses will come a flowin', and Yes showed some crazy good speed, but Yes had 2 points per game, shot 33.8% this season, 26.2% from 3 and had 1 assist to every .5 turnovers.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Based on the film and bios I've seen on Rice, hes a Wayne Selden clone. Or compare him to Quentin grimes, but a bit more athletic and a bit less skilled. Those guys were awful when they first got to KU. Having tools and being ranked around 20/30ish doesn't mean you are ready to do anything.

Sometimes those kind of guards are actually a little behind when they get to college, because their athletic frames over compensate for their skill sets in high school
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:07 pm Possibly.
Think freshman Selden. Lol. He was awful until he had a few months to get going. Selden only started cause we had no other options. I mean nadir tharpe was the other starter on that team
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

randylahey wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:05 pm
KUTradition wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:54 pm patience has zero to do with my comments/questions
Are you familiar with bill self? He tends to favor experienced guys who know what to do in his system. Im not convinced Rice is any better than Wayne Selden was coming in.

A guard in high school who was a bigger stronger more athletic prospect and bullied people athletically, but wasn't actually that good at basketball yet. Selden joined a shitty inexperienced team, Rice is not. Rice won't be forced to play starter minutes right off the bat, and probably isn't ready to. Being a 6'5 athletic guard is special in high school, its barely noticed in college. Rice is going to need to improve his shooting, playmaking, and defense before he's locked into any starting lineups
did you watch Self’s handling of players this year?

Yes couldn’t beat out an injured and covid-restricted Pettiford (despite likely getting significantly more minutes, practice and game) yet you’re pegging him as a starter next year
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

And if you dont want to pencil in yesefu, you could argue cuffe or pettiford as the starter over rice at the beginning of the season. He just comes off as a big athletic guard with limited skills so far.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

randylahey wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:10 pm
Think freshman Selden. Lol. He was awful until he had a few months to get going. Selden only started cause we had no other options. I mean nadir tharpe was the other starter on that team
If 9.7 PPG on 43.7% FG is awful then what is Yes?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

As I stated earlier, I think Rice is going to be less ready than Selden was as a freshman. But, I don't think that has much to do with Yesufu. I'm worried that Yesufu just isn't a good fit here, skillset or personality.

I hope he stays and excels, of course. We may not have had a transfer in between 20 and 21(?), but most seasons we do.

I think I want a transfer guard that has proven he can score at the Power 5 level. Like a Courtney Ramey. All the better if they have more than a season left. I think transfers are going to look at our upperclassmen this season, including transfers in Remy and JCL, and think we're a pretty damn attractive place to transfer to as an upperclassman.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Hes ranked about where Quentin grimes, Wayne Selden, Kelly oubre, svi were. All of those guys really struggled when they first got here. It's tough for a guard/wing to come in as a freshman and be ready to give what self expects out of that position
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:12 pm As I stated earlier, I think Rice is going to be less ready than Selden was as a freshman. But, I don't think that has much to do with Yesufu. I'm worried that Yesufu just isn't a good fit here, skillset or personality.

I hope he stays and excels, of course. We may not have had a transfer in between 20 and 21(?), but most seasons we do.

I think I want a transfer guard that has proven he can score at the Power 5 level. Like a Courtney Ramey. All the better if they have more than a season left. I think transfers are going to look at our upperclassmen this season, including transfers in Remy and JCL, and think we're a pretty damn attractive place to transfer to as an upperclassman.
There was a moment when KU beat Miami where self posed with the team, grabbed Remy and put his arm around him with the whole team behind him. It felt like he was advertising to future big time transfers. "Come to Kansas and do what Remy did" and you'll get to play in a final 4
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:12 pm
randylahey wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:10 pm
If 9.7 PPG on 43.7% FG is awful then what is Yes?
My argument about not expecting rice to start really isn't about yesefu. My point is we have a group of returning guards and I don't expect Rice to be ready to start over them. Im excited for Rice he is a really good looking prospect. But every year i read fans get way ahead of themselves when it comes to recruits. Patience. Experience goes a long way in selfs system. And the returning guys are talented too.

Rice just looks more like a project than a finished product right now. His time will come. But it won't be day 1 as a freshman. That is crazy talk
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

randylahey wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:20 pmRice just looks more like a project than a finished product right now.
Ok, think about that statement and now do Yesufu.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:26 pm
randylahey wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:20 pmRice just looks more like a project than a finished product right now.
Lol. Fair point, I feel like yesefu is close to rounding the corner now though, hes got his feet wet in the system, before Remy came back he was building his confidence and earning good minutes. Yesefu is just so damn explosive and he has skills to go with it.

The position is yesefus for the taking next year. If he dont rise to the occasion and lock down the spot to start the season, then even ill be ready to move on
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I think you guys are underselling Bobby.

I also expect some....perhaps limited...but some contributions from Cuffe. Dude can fly.
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

randylahey wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:31 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:26 pm
Lol. Fair point, I feel like yesefu is close to rounding the corner now though, hes got his feet wet in the system, before Remy came back he was building his confidence and earning good minutes. Yesefu is just so damn explosive and he has skills to go with it.

The position is yesefus for the taking next year. If he dont rise to the occasion and lock down the spot to start the season, then even ill be ready to move on
I think Dajuan needs another shooter next to him. Dick is a good start, but Adams probably won't best Jalen's 3P%. And, while we have seen that Yesufu can shoot the 3, I'm not completely confident he will get to 40%. He looks more like a slasher. A good slasher.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Would you rather:

A. Rice stays committed, Yes transfers, Jalen stays, DMac and Braun leave.
B. Rice stays committed, Clemence transfers, DMac stays, Jalen and Braun leave.
C. Rice goes G League, Yes transfers, Braun stays, DMac and Jalen leave.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:16 pm you think Yes is gonna beat out Rice?
I do, if he stays
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

TDub wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:31 pm I think you guys are underselling Bobby.

I also expect some....perhaps limited...but some contributions from Cuffe. Dude can fly.
Good points. we have a group of pettiford, yesefu, and cuffe that have a year of experience under self already. Big head start on rice, and all 3 of them are very talented athletic guards themselves