2022-2023 Lineup

Kansas Basketball.
Mjl

Re: 2022-2023 Lineup

Post by Mjl »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:10 pm
randylahey wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:05 pm
KUTradition wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:54 pm patience has zero to do with my comments/questions
Are you familiar with bill self? He tends to favor experienced guys who know what to do in his system. Im not convinced Rice is any better than Wayne Selden was coming in.

A guard in high school who was a bigger stronger more athletic prospect and bullied people athletically, but wasn't actually that good at basketball yet. Selden joined a shitty inexperienced team, Rice is not. Rice won't be forced to play starter minutes right off the bat, and probably isn't ready to. Being a 6'5 athletic guard is special in high school, its barely noticed in college. Rice is going to need to improve his shooting, playmaking, and defense before he's locked into any starting lineups
did you watch Self’s handling of players this year?

Yes couldn’t beat out an injured and covid-restricted Pettiford (despite likely getting significantly more minutes, practice and game) yet you’re pegging him as a starter next year
He did beat out Pettiford. Yesufu was playing well. Then Remy got healthy.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:55 pm Would you rather:

A. Rice stays committed, Yes transfers, Jalen stays, DMac and Braun leave.
B. Rice stays committed, Clemence transfers, DMac stays, Jalen and Braun leave.
C. Rice goes G League, Yes transfers, Braun stays, DMac and Jalen leave.
B. But it's not happening. Dave's gone.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Didn't see this posted.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... gs-2022-23

1. Arkansas with 3 top 20 recruits
2. Houston, 4 returning players, 2 of which were hurt to start the season, 1 top 20 recruit
3. ULCA if Juzang returns

"4.4. Kansas Jayhawks
After seeing its national championship dreams get canceled by COVID-19 in 2020, Kansas was able to get to Monday night for the first time in 10 years -- the last time the Final Four was in New Orleans -- and finish the job with its fourth national championship. Next year the Final Four is in Houston, but the Jayhawks could get there again. Ochai Agbaji, David McCormack, Christian Braun, Mitch Lightfoot and Remy Martin are all likely to be gone, but there will be some continuity with Dajuan Harris Jr. and Jalen Wilson expected back. Bill Self is also bringing in a stellar recruiting class, highlighted by elite scorer Gradey Dick and powerful offensive player MJ Rice. A third top-25 recruit, Ernest Udeh, will help replace the frontcourt talent -- but returnees K.J. Adams and Zach Clemence will help, too.

Projected starting lineup:

Dajuan Harris Jr. (5.4 PPG)
Gradey Dick (No. 8 in ESPN 100)
MJ Rice (No. 19 in ESPN 100)
Jalen Wilson (11.0 PPG)
Ernest Udeh (No. 23 in ESPN 100)"

5. UNC with Love, Davis and Bacot returning. Not sure if that happens.
6. Duke, 4 top 30 recruits
7. Kentucky
8. Scott Drew sucks
9. Creighton -lots returning
10. Zona

22. Texas
24. Texas Tech
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Mjl wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:25 pm
KUTradition wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:10 pm
randylahey wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:05 pm

Are you familiar with bill self? He tends to favor experienced guys who know what to do in his system. Im not convinced Rice is any better than Wayne Selden was coming in.

A guard in high school who was a bigger stronger more athletic prospect and bullied people athletically, but wasn't actually that good at basketball yet. Selden joined a shitty inexperienced team, Rice is not. Rice won't be forced to play starter minutes right off the bat, and probably isn't ready to. Being a 6'5 athletic guard is special in high school, its barely noticed in college. Rice is going to need to improve his shooting, playmaking, and defense before he's locked into any starting lineups
did you watch Self’s handling of players this year?

Yes couldn’t beat out an injured and covid-restricted Pettiford (despite likely getting significantly more minutes, practice and game) yet you’re pegging him as a starter next year
He did beat out Pettiford. Yesufu was playing well. Then Remy got healthy.
eventually, yes…but the point was that it was even a battle at all given hindrances Bobby had

i guess i just don’t see that happening had Bobby not had health issues

no matter though, because neither of them woulda logged minutes once Remy came on
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

I think there is a very good chance CB and Jalen come back. Jalen has basically no chance of being drafted or surviving in the NBA at the moment. CB does, but he could benefit from another year just like Och did.

Dave probably won't come back, but if he does then awesome. Because Clemence is barely a 5, and KJ is not a 5. He graduated in 3 years, so he's probably wrapped up all the education he's wanting by now. He isn't an NBA player, but he will be successful overseas or doing whatever he wants to do.

Remy probably won't come back, but i think he can, right? He isn't an NBA player either, but will be successful overseas. Maybe he wants another run in AFH.

Maybe they all agree to comeback and convince Och to as well. Florida style. Run it back.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I think Remy is out of eligibility
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

TDub wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:34 pm I think Remy is out of eligibility
You're right, my bad. The free year thing throws me off.

So best case is we lose Remy and Mitch and everyone else comes back.

Worst case everyone except DH is gone.

Most likely case (imo) Och Remy Mitch and Dave leave. CB and JW return.

I know people think Jalen is a lock to leave because he tested last year, but with NIL, not sure why he'd want to G league or overseas it after experiencing what he just did.
Deleted User 863

CB sharing his draftexpress draft stock update on social media has made me switch my feeling that he is coming back to that he is probably gone unless he doesn't get good feedback at the combine and team workouts.

Selfishly I want him to return, but realize 18 months ago he had almost no NBA hype and now he's viewed as a high floor prospect who may sneak into the first round.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

There’s no way you can watch the final four and not think CB is a first rounder.
Deleted User 863

I do.

I also think another year at KU certainly wouldn't "hurt" his progression as a basketball player, regardless of draft stock and trying to "strike while the iron is hot" so to speak. He will get better at KU with another year.

....but he will also get better in the NBA. As long as he sticks on a team and isn't back and forth between G League his first few years. In that scenario I think a player (especially one like him) can stunt their growth because that is not a team oriented environment. That is a dog eat dog environment because even the guys on the same team are fighting for those limited amount of NBA roster spots.

It's so easy to pass up the money when it isn't you. I have no idea what I'd do if i were in his shoes.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:06 pm There’s no way you can watch the final four and not think CB is a first rounder.
Like 20 fewer attempts from 3 than last year, despite like 10 more games.

I know I’ve been eating crauw like it’s covered in onion rings and cheese and night of the living sauce, but I still think his nba career comes down to the long ball.
Deleted User 863

This is exactly why some people think you're a CB hater. You pick and choose random things and pretend they mean something negative.

20-21 season he had 242 total field goal attempts and 70 free throw attempts.

21-22 season he had 418 field goal attempts and 135 free throw attempts.

He shot less 3s because he was dunking on mother fuckers more frequently.

His 3pt% increased 4.6% this season from last season. His 2pt% went up almost 10% from last season.

PER went from 15 to 19.6.

eFG% went from 48.8% to 58.5%.

Just STOP fighting this battle. You were wrong. It is okay to be wrong.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

21 fewer attempts but only 1 less make. Creeping towards 40%. 49% for overall. Increased productivity per game in essentially all categories.

speaking of onions.....did you see the end of the Nova game? Or the start of the 2nd half in the title game? Onions.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

Just about everything out there says scouts love his defense rebounding and passing as much as anything.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:32 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:06 pm There’s no way you can watch the final four and not think CB is a first rounder.

I know I’ve been eating crauw like it’s covered in onion rings and cheese and night of the living sauce, but I still think his nba career comes down to the long ball.
It’s his swing skill, no one’s argued that. He was also above 40% in conference play forward. You full yet?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:32 pm

Personally, I just see the occasional disappearances by Braun to mean that he is going to be really good once he lessens the frequency of those dead times where he is passing up good opportunities without a better option. Agbaji is frankly only about 60% of the way along his journey of learning to be more aggressive. At least Braun comes about it a little more naturally than Agbaji. His ceiling is WAY above where he is right now.

Shots can be improved with reps. Braun has already improved a lot from last year. He's no elite sniper at this point but he has a good base and his shot doesn't need to be changed structurally. Good instincts on the boards for a guard, a nose for blocking shots and an ability to play well at high speed in transition are much tougher to develop if you didn't start with it naturally. Braun has a nice head start in those areas. Very useful skill set in the NBA for a guard his size.

It will be fun to see where Braun's game is in 4 years.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Actually, no, still could put down another serving, with a side of dirty rice this time. I want Haunkey Taunk as a senior torching nets. Hell, if he can display legit sniper skills I wouldn’t even care if he brings back the damn bow and arrow.

And as for his nba prospects, I think the point about the long ball stands.
Deleted User 863

Everyone could use "legit sniper skills".

You're trying too hard to convince yourself that CB is a low ceiling player.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So you DONT want Haunkey Taunk as a senior torching nets?

And lemme guess: your preferred side is fries.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Braun is a fucking badass.

he also just called you a BITCH I think.
Just Ledoux it