Transfer portal 2022

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: Transfer portal 2022

Post by Deleted User 863 »

A lot of things fall under the "talent" umbrella imo.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:23 pm KJ such an obvious Jalen replacement.

https://instagram.com/stories/kjxadams/ ... MyMTA2M2Y=
He's an upgrade in some aspects. Immediately. Sure would love them both to be here next year though.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Hunter with poor shooting stats on the season but hit 7 3's against LSU in the tourney.

Would be a sophomore.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I thought Hunter just looked like he was on a different level than the other ISU players watching him live. The ISU fan I was sitting next to said he was concerned this would happen.

I'd take him in a heartbeat.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:48 pm I thought Hunter just looked like he was on a different level than the other ISU players watching him live. The ISU fan I was sitting next to said he was concerned this would happen.

He probably would have been preseason All Big 12 had he stayed at ISU. Likely plays 2+ more seasons.

And then think about how pissed off ISU fans would be and the conspiracies they would cook up if KU would grab him. I might want him more than anyone just for that.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Might even have a fan take a swing at HCBS.
punkrockhawk

Post by punkrockhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:57 pm
Mjl wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:48 pm I thought Hunter just looked like he was on a different level than the other ISU players watching him live. The ISU fan I was sitting next to said he was concerned this would happen.

He probably would have been preseason All Big 12 had he stayed at ISU. Likely plays 2+ more seasons.

And then think about how pissed off ISU fans would be and the conspiracies they would cook up if KU would grab him. I might want him more than anyone just for that.
Self could use Jalen Coleman-Lands as a great example and say "You've played in the Big 12 now and know how tough it is. Now come play for the champions like Jalen did."
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Sparko wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:59 pm Might even have a fan take a swing at HCBS.
i believe that’s now known as “weatherwaxing” or “getting weatherwaxed”
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Lots of "NIL is going to turn every other program into a farm team to the elite programs" woe is me stuff going on over there right now. KU players aren't making stupid money in NIL so I definitely don't think that is what is driving this move. Seems like being a PG on a shitty offense is the bigger problem for Hunter and why he is looking to leave.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Lots of "NIL is going to turn every other program into a farm team to the elite programs" woe is me stuff going on over there right now."

Well. I don't think that's totally wrong.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

It's not wrong at all. The need for recruiting the top end kids isn't that much of a dire need anymore. Go get a freshman who had a good year at a lesser school, so they have the collegiate experience and they have proven it. High school kids are hit and miss.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:37 pm "Lots of "NIL is going to turn every other program into a farm team to the elite programs" woe is me stuff going on over there right now."

It's just another example of the overly dramatic slippery slope BS that now exists in every corner of our world. It's utter nonsense. Yeah, that Toyota Corolla Remy got and the 1-800-GOT-JUNK ad for Mitch are going to result in a mass exodus from lesser tiered programs.

If there isn't a Toyota dealer in Ames, IA who can't cough up a Corolla to one of their best players then that's just fucking sad and they should have their program plucked clean.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

OK.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:46 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:37 pm "Lots of "NIL is going to turn every other program into a farm team to the elite programs" woe is me stuff going on over there right now."

It's just another example of the overly dramatic slippery slope BS that now exists in every corner of our world. It's utter nonsense. Yeah, that Toyota Corolla Remy got and the 1-800-GOT-JUNK ad for Mitch are going to result in a mass exodus from lesser tiered programs.

If there isn't a Toyota dealer in Ames, IA who can't cough up a Corolla to one of their best players then that's just fucking sad and they should have their program plucked clean.
lol, yep
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:46 pm

It is hard for fans of afterthought programs like Iowa State and Kansas State to accept the reality that their programs aren't even in the same stratosphere as the KU's of the world. Does the fact that we are one of the most successful and storied programs of all time, coming off a national championship with a coach that has won 2 natty's and has a history of putting players in the league make KU more attractive to players?

No, of course not. It has to be that KU pays everyone to go to a public university in Kansas to play basketball.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I laughed at something I saw on twitter. It was a snippet of a kstate podcast/youtube video and it was these 3 nerds interviewing the new BB HC Tang. They asked him if kstate can win a championship, he said absolutely without hesitation. Which I mean he should, but they posted the video and captioned it with something like "Goosebumps like this happened throughout the podcast" Like wut? He was an assistant coach for 20 years. His lone HC experience was coaching a private high school in Texas for 10 years.

You will likely be a team that makes the NCAA tournament maybe 50% of the time over the next decade plus. Accept that and call it good. But don't say goosebumps because he says he can win a Championship.

Like I don't know if Leipold has said anything about winning a National Championship for KU football. All he has said is that he wants the players to do what they ask and if they do, good things could come their way as long as they keep working. That's all Tang needs to say. Say "That's the ultimate goal obviously, but we have to have players do what we ask them to do"
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Got to love those taters!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Maybe it's not wrong, but it's not exactly insightful either.

Differences in programs have existed forever.

* Some schools have better academic reputations than others.
* Some schools play on TV more than others.
* Some schools have nicer player amenities than others.
* Some schools have more/better fans than others.
* Some schools have better arenas/facilities than others.
* Some schools tend to put more players in the NBA than others.
* Some schools have better traditions than others.
* Some schools have better coaches than others.
* Some schools have better scenery than others.
* Some schools are located in better cities/towns/states than others.
* Some schools offer more playing time than others.
* Some schools have better development track records than others.
* Some schools are more likely to win lots of games than others.

There's nothing magical or even fundamentally different about NIL. It is a factor influencing where kids will go, just like the dozens of other things that play into that decision.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:50 pm

Lots of "NIL is going to turn every other program into a farm team to the elite programs" woe is me stuff going on over there right now. KU players aren't making stupid money in NIL so I definitely don't think that is what is driving this move. Seems like being a PG on a shitty offense is the bigger problem for Hunter and why he is looking to leave.
My new boss is paying $500 for 2 illini players (not the super high profile players) to come to his wife's birthday party for 30min. They're season ticket holders and huge fans. Had to sign contracts and everything so that income is disclosed for tax purposes.

So I guess it depends what "stupid money" is, but i think it's very realistic for higher profile guys to be earning well over 6 figures a year via NIL if they desire to put the time/work in. I don't see the "here's $500k for 25min of work" for a commerical type stuff happening as much as i expected, which is a good thing. But these kids can/do get paid well for stuff.