Transfer portal 2022

Kansas Basketball.
Mjl

Re: Transfer portal 2022

Post by Mjl »

If I understand correctly, it is against NIL rules to pay someone to go to a school. They are getting around that here by just not explicitly saying it was that, right?

If this were an actual law and not NCAA rules, that wouldn't hold up in court, would it?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

is it a shitshow?

yes it is.
Just Ledoux it
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:50 pm Man, I'm so mad that the young black kids that I watch 40 times a year and sit on my ass discussing every day online are making money above board now. Just boils my blood. Might have to stop watching.
Nailed it.

I really struggle to understand this frustration. I don’t give a fuck how much money these kids make. Good for them. I’m still going to enjoy KU basketball regardless
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Mjl wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:26 pm If I understand correctly, it is against NIL rules to pay someone to go to a school. They are getting around that here by just not explicitly saying it was that, right?

If this were an actual law and not NCAA rules, that wouldn't hold up in court, would it?
Contracts are signed by both parties....so say Nijel Pack decides to change his mind tomorrow and go to Florida State instead, it is likely LifeWallet would be unable to back out of their NIL arrangement without Pack having some sort of case in court if those agreements have been put in writing and signed.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yea.
That’s trash from CnB.
But the lawyer bois have done it before.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Mjl wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:26 pm If I understand correctly, it is against NIL rules to pay someone to go to a school. They are getting around that here by just not explicitly saying it was that, right?

They are saying, eye roll, that it has nothing to do with his attending. And that’s how it’s going to be in the future.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

“ What I've wanted to avoid, is using the companies owned by boosters as facades for bidding wars to recruit players, and that's what this is. And this is precisely what the majority of NIL defenders on here said wouldn't happen.”

Exactly.
And the defenders have shifted the narrative of “it’s not gonna happen” to “it always happened” and ever so not subtly implying that race has to do with why NIL opponents don’t like it.
Deleted User 863

Do you agree it has always happened?

Just now, the booster/company/person can pay larger amounts because it can be out in the open and be used to benefit both parties?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I agree it has always happened but not for guys like Ochai and Braun.

( spare me the comment where you “know” guys like Vonte got paid, as if you’re Vernon )

Do I think players like them get all sorts of extra shit throughout the year, like gear and meals? For sure. Do I think they got 100k under the table on signing? No. So because I don’t think they got that means that I think college basketball can still thrive without dudes who are there for, gasp, college. Instead it’s already starting to be nothing like college. College will have less and less to do with it. And then it’ll simply be pros using the Jayhawk mascot for brand recognition.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:00 am I agree it has always happened but not for guys like Ochai and Braun.

Do I think players like them get all sorts of extra shit throughout the year, like gear and meals? For sure. Do I think they got 100k under the table on signing? No. So because I don’t think they got that means that I think college basketball can still thrive without dudes who are there for, gasp, college. Instead it’s already becoming nothing like college. College will have less and less to do with it. And then it’ll simply be pros using the Jayhawk mascot for brand recognition.
I still think most guys are there for college and for the right reasons. Especially at KU.

Remy probably got a lot more than we know about to come to KU. But our staff and admins know it's a split subject for our fanbase, so they don't openly dislose or use NIL deals for publicity because it's not our main recruiting tool.

Places like Miami probably want to use it to publicize the opportunities in their market area to boost their recruiting reach. That's why $$$ amounts get leaked to the media.

Marcus Garrett was pre NIL, and doesn't come from a super wealthy family, and wasn't a big time recruit....he also had a Mercedes Benz while at KU. Not a brand new one. But nice enough that it makes you wonder how he acquired it. And maybe he just saved all his stipends and made payments on it. Hard to say.

But I agree, outside of guys of Zion/Wiggins type caliber and hype, i doubt $800k was being funneled by shoe companies and/boosters to go to certain schools very frequently.

I disagree the vast majority of athletes with pro aspirations are there for the "student/classroom" part of college. But absolutely there for the student experience/social part of college.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

My preference is to work at reversing what was happening rather than just giving up. People going 40 in a 30 and now they just upped it to 60 because well, they were going fast anyways.

Whether you think the road shoulda been 60 all along is up to you. But it was scenic before so it wasn’t for safety reasons but so people could enjoy the view. Now they are putting up billboards so the view, for some—some people like billboards—isn’t for them.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:21 am My preference is to work at reversing what was happening rather than just giving up.
I wouldn't have been opposed to that route either...but a large portion of the sport, coaches/players/sponsors specifically, have been working to undermine that goal for decades.

They gave up, because it probably was an unachievable goal to consistently and effectively enforce those rules. And also because it was determined that it is unconstitutional to try to control other outside aspects of the players lives.

Sort of like having traffic laws for a road that has a set speed limit (which there still is under the new rules), but then saying if you put honey on your pizza you can't drive on this road at all. Even though 99% of the time they can't figure out what is on your pizza anyway. Even though pizza toppings and speed limits have nothing to do with each other. And all the other students can put whatever they want on their pizza.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:50 pm Man, I'm so mad that the young black kids that I watch 40 times a year and sit on my ass discussing every day online are making money above board now. Just boils my blood. Might have to stop watching.
RIGHT!?
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:00 am I agree it has always happened but not for guys like Ochai and Braun.

( spare me the comment where you “know” guys like Vonte got paid, as if you’re Vernon )
I literally watched, on multiple occasions, as people handed cash to small time D2 basketball players up here when I was in school. If it's happening at that level, I'm not naive enough to believe guys like Ochai and Braun aren't getting anything.

I won't say I "know", but I'll say I'm 99.99999% sure guys like Vonte got paid.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:38 am

I literally watched, on multiple occasions, as people handed cash to small time D2 basketball players up here when I was in school. If it's happening at that level, I'm not naive enough to believe guys like Ochai and Braun aren't getting anything.

It's like being told Santa Claus isn't real.

These are 1% of basketball players and their value has been revealed to be a little bit more than a dorm room, cafeteria plan, and a few pairs of basketball shorts.
kubowler99

Post by kubowler99 »

Pretty much. Was it $800k? Of course not - primarily because you couldn't really hide that amount of money from the government and NCAA (especially with college-aged kids) - but this 'should' give you an idea of the marketing value of these athletes, regardless of sport.
Deleted User 863

To me, it now feels less like "come here for X $$$" than it did when the players/coaches had to hide it. At least now, in most cases, the players are providing some sort of service in exchange for the NIL $$$. Be that marketing, or working a drive thru at Raisin' Canes, or being in a commercial, etc.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

kubowler99 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:13 am

Pretty much. Was it $800k? Of course not - primarily because you couldn't really hide that amount of money from the government and NCAA (especially with college-aged kids) - but this 'should' give you an idea of the marketing value of these athletes, regardless of sport.
What it is showing is that, not only was there a demand by people/companies to want to use NIL, many of them were prohibited from doing so by the rules and did not.

That's just un-'Merican.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"That's just un-'Merican."

Hence, possibly, the problem.
$$$$$ over everything.
Where's Qusdahl?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:15 pm
Nailed it.

I really struggle to understand this frustration. I don’t give a fuck how much money these kids make. Good for them. I’m still going to enjoy KU basketball regardless
I just think for some that it was easier to bury their heads in the sand for the benefit of their own enjoyment.

At least I hope it is just that, a choice, and not something more sinister.