Transfer portal 2022

Kansas Basketball.
kubowler99

Re: Transfer portal 2022

Post by kubowler99 »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:39 am
kubowler99 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:38 am For all the hemming and hawing over the 'purity' of the sport, I really believe the quality of play over the next 5-10 years will be greatly improved. Simply due to the shear number of really, really good collegiate upperclassmen staying in school. It helped us this year; will most likely help UNC and UK next year.
I agree.
But the NBA has an exponentially better quality of play.
If quality of play is what I was after, I wouldn't watch KU.
Because of better, more experienced, and more mature players. Which helps the college game. And helps KU. I want to see high-level play in college. It won't ever be at the NBA level given the above, but I'm all for seeing it improve.
Last edited by kubowler99 on Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:22 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:17 am If NIL didn't exist and he had that same list then it would be nothing more than a list of elite programs that have a need for a really good PG.
yep.

now it's a list of schools with alums that are a bottomless pit of cash to toss around to assemble the best team money can buy.

but to be fair, every power 5 school + aac + big east has the alums to build the best teams money can buy. so the bidding wars are going to be fantastic.
Gonzaga has alums with a bottomless pit of cash? Learned something new today, I suppose.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

kubowler99 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:41 am
pdub wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:39 am
kubowler99 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:38 am For all the hemming and hawing over the 'purity' of the sport, I really believe the quality of play over the next 5-10 years will be greatly improved. Simply due to the shear number of really, really good collegiate upperclassmen staying in school. It helped us this year; will most likely help UNC and UK next year.
I agree.
But the NBA has an exponentially better quality of play.
If quality of play is what I was after, I wouldn't watch KU.
Because of better, more experienced, and more mature players.
I agree.
But this comment is unchanged, "If quality of play is what I was after, I wouldn't watch KU".
( i'd watch the NBA, which I do, but I'd watch the NBA more, and KU less )
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:42 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:17 am If NIL didn't exist and he had that same list then it would be nothing more than a list of elite programs that have a need for a really good PG.
yep.

now it's a list of schools with alums that are a bottomless pit of cash to toss around to assemble the best team money can buy.

but to be fair, every power 5 school + aac + big east has the alums to build the best teams money can buy. so the bidding wars are going to be fantastic.
Gonzaga has alums with a bottomless pit of cash? Learned something new today, I suppose.
A Gonzaga alumn is a part owner of the Minnesota Twins and has a net worth of 4 billion.
Dunno if that counts.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:32 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:25 am But people are angry now.
i know exactly what's going on.

and it's fun for me watching you flail about trying to convince that it is something other than what we know it really is.

may they reign it in and get some law and order. they may. but for now we have the wild wild west.
Like with everything else, adjustments will be made. It's how the process works. The NCAA was basically forced to allow this under threat so they said "Fuck it, you want it? You got it. Now deal with the consequences." The NABC and member schools will meet and try to normalize the process and get some common rules set forth. Individual states will see what works and doesn't work and will adjust the laws they have put in place. The process will be tinkered with over time to try to get it to work better. It has always been this way for every change in the sport.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sure.
But does that mean everyone has to like the change?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:46 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:42 am

yep.

A Gonzaga alumn is a part owner of the Minnesota Twins and has a net worth of 4 billion.
Dunno if that counts.
My assumption is that the vast majority of D1 programs have at least one grad who is now a billionaire.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Right.
So then this was a true statment, "Gonzaga has alums with a bottomless pit of cash? Learned something new today, I suppose".
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

twocoach wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:21 am It's just annoying that that Doom and Gloom slippery slope loons are screaming about NIL with everything when it is probably far less on the priority list than #1 for the vast majority of these transfers.
really?

you think those hott twins that just signed with miami for a combined 1 million were really thinking best place to get their education and available playing time.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

TDub wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:08 am I thinks its high Larry ious that the same people saying "this always happened, the rules were always broken" are the same ones now saying "well no, NIL doesn't work like that, thats against the rules, thats not happening. Nope, thats not legal or allowed"
Well, in my personal instance, i feel like since they made new rules that were supposed to be more fair and able to be enforced, that they should actually enforce them.

I am not saying it isn't happening. I am not naive. But it shouldn't be happening openly without a punishment to follow. Otherwise why did they even make new rules?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:00 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:21 am It's just annoying that that Doom and Gloom slippery slope loons are screaming about NIL with everything when it is probably far less on the priority list than #1 for the vast majority of these transfers.
really?

you think those hott twins that just signed with miami for a combined 1 million were really thinking best place to get their education and available playing time.
They were swimming in NIL money long before transferring.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Why should there be rules?
That's just restricting the free market.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:50 am Sure.
But does that mean everyone has to like the change?
Absolutely not. Your stance is reasonable.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:39 am
pdub wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:33 am It is over the top for you.
For others, it is not.
It's going to take some time for the market to settle. I have no idea if we're seeing early-adopter discounts, or premiums.

I know many will stamp their feet and insist this cannot possibly be true, but: in five years, NIL is going to be background noise, not any more meaningful to fans than fancy dorms or locker rooms, or chartered flights, or boondoggle road trips. NIL will just be part of the fabric, and everything will be ok.
Just read this from Stewart Mandel while reading about KUFB:
I’ve said this before in various forms, but in my experience, when people say “the sport they have always loved,” they’re referring largely to the way college football was when they first fell in love with it. Every major change that comes along, positive or negative, chips away at our romanticized version of it.

If, for example, you started following college football in the 1980s, you’ve experienced every major conference radically changing its membership (and in a couple cases, going extinct); scholarship reductions; going from the old bowl system to the BCS to the CFP; the number of bowls more than doubling; coaches salaries skyrocketing; the near-extinction of the wishbone, the I-formation and huddles; and the rise of the spread, Air Raid and hurry-up offenses.

I hate to break it to you, but this was already very much not “some semblance of the sport you have always loved” long before NIL became a thing. And yet you still watch and enjoy it. So why would we assume that THIS will be the change that brings down the whole enterprise?

Right now, between the one-time transfer exception and the rise of NIL collectives, we’re all experiencing whiplash. Those are two particularly profound changes to have occurred almost simultaneously. And change is always unsettling. I’ve moved houses twice since 2013, and both times it took me months to actually start liking my new place rather than obsessing over everything wrong with it. Kind of like how this new NIL stuff feels very … unfinished, at the moment.

But eventually, my new house felt normal. Eventually, so will this new version of college football. But it may feel very unsettling in the meantime.
https://theathletic.com/3260065/2022/04 ... e-clemson/
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

There's another, hey, let's tell you how you should feel about NIL.

So i'm guessing a select few of you are good with surveys here.
You'll get over it, I promise.
It'll be like a new house.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

donating didn’t really improve the experience, so i’m good with surveys
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:00 am
really?

Hence "for the vast majority of these transfers". That's two. Pack is obviously 3. I am sure there are some more.

There are more than 1,400 in the men's transfer portal alone. Take 3 and divided it by 1,400. To cover the next round of "yeah but whatabout..." take 50 and divide it by 1400 and it's only 3.5%.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:15 am There's another, hey, let's tell you how you should feel about NIL.

So i'm guessing a select few of you are good with surveys here.
You'll get over it, I promise.
It'll be like a new house.
So slippery this slope...
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

twocoach wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:38 am Hence "for the vast majority of these transfers"
we all know this only applies to hott girls and difference makers in the power conferences. no need to explain.

kids transferring from high point to eastern washington never mattered. and they still don't.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:48 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:38 am Hence "for the vast majority of these transfers"
we all know this only applies to hott girls and difference makers in the power conferences. no need to explain.

kids transferring from high point to eastern washington never mattered. and they still don't.
So we agree that the men's college basketball players who are transferring to get big dollar NIL deals is minuscule and isn't going to "ruin the sport".