Transfer portal 2022

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: Transfer portal 2022

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:53 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:48 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:38 am Hence "for the vast majority of these transfers"
we all know this only applies to hott girls and difference makers in the power conferences. no need to explain.

kids transferring from high point to eastern washington never mattered. and they still don't.
So we agree that the men's college basketball players who are transferring to get big dollar NIL deals is minuscule and isn't going to "ruin the sport".
And I think, like someone else said, this will die down as we move along. There has to be value added to both parties involved for NIL to make sense/be worth it long term.

Right now rich boosters are going overboard. Pack isn't going to add $800k worth of value to LifeWallet. Although, I didn't even know LifeWallet existed (or who owned it) before all this stuff came out.

And it varies school to school. It is no surprise Kentucky leaked amounts to the media, or Miami....but we don't have many details on the Kansas players NIL activity because it is only a portion of the package of benefits added for a player to come to KU. It isn't our main recruiting tool and never will be. Partly because a relevant portion of our fanbase isn't in favor of it. Remy didn't turn down $800k to come to KU for a 9month lease on a Toyota.

Some schools are using it to their advantage because they need to gain an edge. I don't think schools like Kansas or Duke will use it as publicly as others have. Although a lot will depend on the coaches I assume.

We have always been competitive in whatever the method has been used to entice players to come to KU for hoops. Whether that is athletic facilities, athlete living facilities, or shoe company $$$.

I still wish they'd enforce the new rules. Maybe they just need some time to get a grasp on the current climate. Or maybe they are just ignoring it like they always have. Hard to say yet.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

6'6" 3 point sniper to pair with Dick.

randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:35 pm 6'6" 3 point sniper to pair with Dick.

feels like baylor should be on his list
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i guess NIL stuff might as well go here now

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2022/04 ... of-control

Bill Self: NIL, Transfer Portal ‘Out of Control Right Now’
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

“I think it’s bad,” Self said Sunday, via Mark Berman of FOX 26. “In theory, it’s good— freedom of movement, all this stuff—in theory it’s good. I think sometimes it gives young people a way out without actually trying to fight through some things, but, in theory, coaches can move. In theory, kids should be able to move too, but it’s out of control right now where the reason they’re moving is because ‘I can get a bigger NIL deal somewhere else.’ I’m not sure the reason we’re moving are for the right reasons. I think they’re for reasons that sometimes wouldn’t be best for a useful life over time. Because I do think there’s something about us staying somewhere and fighting through some stuff.”

Huh.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:57 pm “I think it’s bad,” Self said Sunday, via Mark Berman of FOX 26. “In theory, it’s good— freedom of movement, all this stuff—in theory it’s good. I think sometimes it gives young people a way out without actually trying to fight through some things, but, in theory, coaches can move. In theory, kids should be able to move too, but it’s out of control right now where the reason they’re moving is because ‘I can get a bigger NIL deal somewhere else.’ I’m not sure the reason we’re moving are for the right reasons. I think they’re for reasons that sometimes wouldn’t be best for a useful life over time. Because I do think there’s something about us staying somewhere and fighting through some stuff.”

Huh.
Agree 100%.

Enforce the new rules. NIL can't be tied to committing to a school.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:35 pm 6'6" 3 point sniper to pair with Dick.

apparently this kid is from nebraska and grew up at KU fan
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:57 pm “I think it’s bad,” Self said Sunday, via Mark Berman of FOX 26. “In theory, it’s good— freedom of movement, all this stuff—in theory it’s good. I think sometimes it gives young people a way out without actually trying to fight through some things, but, in theory, coaches can move. In theory, kids should be able to move too, but it’s out of control right now where the reason they’re moving is because ‘I can get a bigger NIL deal somewhere else.’ I’m not sure the reason we’re moving are for the right reasons. I think they’re for reasons that sometimes wouldn’t be best for a useful life over time. Because I do think there’s something about us staying somewhere and fighting through some stuff.”

Huh.
So...self's a racist according to this bored?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Probably the smartest thing Bill has ever said on the subject. He’s almost always been wrong on these issues. Then wins championships off of the new rules.

And can’t forget the times he has kicked guys like Ty Appleton to the street like a dog.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:20 pm

Huh.
You’re not this dumb.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Huh.
of course you know that he didn’t mean that its just flat bad all around, but yet you conveniently left those quotes out of your excerpt
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:20 pm

Huh.
Unfortunately yes.
Deleted User 863

randylahey wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:16 pm

apparently this kid is from nebraska and grew up at KU fan
If CB and JW both stay in the draft, and nobody transfers (which seems unlikely since i think the portal has closed), then we have 2 spots available right?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Portal closes May 1.

Still can transfer after that, though.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

NIL and not-having-to-sit-after-transferring shouldn't have happened at the same time.
Deleted User 863

Mjl wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:40 pm NIL and not-having-to-sit-after-transferring shouldn't have happened at the same time.
Yes. Recipe for disaster.

No sit out transfer should have always been allowed. If force outs are allowed then free transfer should have been allowed.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:56 pm Portal closes May 1.

Do you just have to sit if it's after portal closes?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:40 pm NIL and not-having-to-sit-after-transferring shouldn't have happened at the same time.
Of course. Especially in that they both should have been implemented a long time ago.

But certainly the one-time transfer exception should have been allowed a very long time ago. At the latest, in the late 80's/early 90's (I believe, going off of memory from learning this in school) when the one-time transfer exception was granted to every sport but football and basketball. But, free transfer should have been allowed in the first place back in the 60's when conferences started restricting transfers from playing right away.

No good and factually supported explanation existed for the transfer restriction outside of it being better for the schools and programs despite the NCAA's student-first mission statement.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:49 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:56 pm Portal closes May 1.

Do you just have to sit if it's after portal closes?
Don't think so. I think it has more to do with official visits i.e. schools' ability to recruit and pay for visits, etc.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

I was listening to ESPNU this morning; the show hosted by Danny Kanell & Dusty Dvoracek were talking about a recent report that shows that upwards of 40% of kids who enter the transfer portal end up in a situation where they have no scholarship...I'm pretty sure they were talking more football than basketball, but still...crazy stuff.