Transfer portal 2022

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: Transfer portal 2022

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:17 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:16 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:12 am

I will dig into the official process and let you know what I find out.

At The University of Illinois, and maybe it is different other places, it has to be submitted to the athletic department. The contract and relevant correspondence. My "boss" just went through the process. He said it was very detailed. There was language within the contract that said if the 2 players left Illinois prior to the date of event, that the contract was still valid. That the contract was not dependent on, or subject to, being an athlete at University of Illinois.
You are talking about these being violations of NCAA rules, not individual school rules, aren't you?
Aren't the NIL rules NCAA rules?

Schools don't get to have individual NIL rules do they? Is it different in each state?
You've been such a stickler about saying what is and is not against the rules that I thought you would actually know that answer.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:17 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:16 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:14 am

We should agree that the rules need to be updated ASAP to build in ways to monitor adherence to the rules. We live in the day and age of computers; this shouldn't be hard to do. Require the contract be submitted to the ncaa for review, set requirements of when contracts can happen (in the case of an athlete changing schools) and set a time limit for the review time.
Bingo.

Although not sure it needs to be NCAA, at least not as step 1. Make it be the schools. And then if they fail to adhere to the rules they get punished too.
And how does the ncaa know if they are following the rules without requiring submission to the ncaa? They don't. The NCAA is a fucking joke and their laziness and lack of desire to relinquish power and money has created this mess.
I think it should be submitted to the NCAA. Just not as step 1. That would be step 2. After the school signs off that the NIL agreement is in compliance.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:19 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:17 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:16 am
You are talking about these being violations of NCAA rules, not individual school rules, aren't you?
Aren't the NIL rules NCAA rules?

Schools don't get to have individual NIL rules do they? Is it different in each state?
You've been such a stickler about saying what is and is not against the rules that I thought you would actually know that answer.
I guess I don't know what you're asking.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:19 am You've been such a stickler about saying what is and is not against the rules that I thought you would actually know that answer.
Here you go, this helps explain the new rules:

https://www.ncsasports.org/name-image-l ... 20or%20not.
Deleted User 863

"College student-athletes competing in states without an NIL law will have the freedom to receive compensation for their NIL however they see fit, as long as they do not violate pay-for-play or receive financial incentives to sign with or remain at a program. "
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TDub wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:30 am you keep talking about Rules. Nobody followed the rules before right...isn't that your big thing? Why would that change just because the boundaries ballooned?

it's a shit....show.
it's transparent now, it's so much better. Can't you feel it?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:45 am I know we won't agree on liking NIL. That is totally ok.

We should agree that everyone should follow the new rules. And the new rules should be enforced.
We should agree that the rules need to be updated ASAP to build in ways to monitor adherence to the rules. We live in the day and age of computers; this shouldn't be hard to do. Require the contract be submitted to the ncaa for review, set requirements of when contracts can happen (in the case of an athlete changing schools) and set a time limit for the review time.
That's the problem with all this. It's gonna be on the NCAA.

I can imagine a scenario where the NCAA makes a rule that they have to review every deal and then within 6 months there's like a 5 year waiting list to get things reviewed.

I think no matter where you fall in this argument, most people agree that the NCAA as a governing body sucks.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:35 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:45 am I know we won't agree on liking NIL. That is totally ok.

We should agree that everyone should follow the new rules. And the new rules should be enforced.
That's the problem with all this. It's gonna be on the NCAA.

I can imagine a scenario where the NCAA makes a rule that they have to review every deal and then within 6 months there's like a 5 year waiting list to get things reviewed.

I think no matter where you fall in this argument, most people agree that the NCAA as a governing body sucks.
exactly…ncaa review will never be a timely process
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Deleted User 863

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:29 am "College student-athletes competing in states without an NIL law will have the freedom to receive compensation for their NIL however they see fit, as long as they do not violate pay-for-play or receive financial incentives to sign with or remain at a program. "
Enforce the rules.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:47 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:29 am "College student-athletes competing in states without an NIL law will have the freedom to receive compensation for their NIL however they see fit, as long as they do not violate pay-for-play or receive financial incentives to sign with or remain at a program. "
Enforce the rules.
That would require an actual plan or policy that determines how to do that as well as published penalties for what happens if the rules are violated. None of those things exist. What exists is an "interim policy", not actual rules with enforcement and penalties defined. At this point, they are basically "guidelines".

It's like putting up a speed limit sign and not giving cops radars, the right to pull anyone over or published penalties for violation.
Last edited by twocoach on Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:22 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:19 am You've been such a stickler about saying what is and is not against the rules that I thought you would actually know that answer.

Why are posting those for me? You're the one that had the questions. I have already read their worthless, toothless policy.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:48 pm

Why are posting those for me? You're the one that had the questions. I have already read their worthless, toothless policy.
Rough Friday?

No need to be rude.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:59 pm

Rough Friday?

No need to be rude.
It's a lovely Friday. I just didn't have questions about what is NCAA policy, what is state law and what is school policy. I already understood that there are all three layers to this and that the NCAA's toothless Interim Policy is absurd and unenforceable while you keep posting the same "enforce the rules" statement with no recognition that they haven't figured out how and they haven't defined what happens if they find a violation.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:23 pm
Rough Friday?

No need to be rude.
It's a lovely Friday. I just didn't have questions about what is NCAA policy, what is state law and what is school policy. I already understood that there are all three layers to this and that the NCAA's toothless Interim Policy is absurd and unenforceable while you keep posting the same "enforce the rules" statement with no recognition that they haven't figured out how and they haven't defined what happens if they find a violation.
Again...

"... will have the freedom to receive compensation for their NIL however they see fit, as long as they do not violate pay-for-play or receive financial incentives to sign with or remain at a program. "

Those are a few rules they have defined and can/should enforce. Wong's reps clearly violated that 2nd part. He should be immediately ineligible.

They have never had set criteria for punishment for various violations. Which has been a problem of theirs.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:38 pm
twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:23 pm

Rough Friday?

No need to be rude.
Again...

"... will have the freedom to receive compensation for their NIL however they see fit, as long as they do not violate pay-for-play or receive financial incentives to sign with or remain at a program. "

Those are a few rules they have defined and can/should enforce. Wong's reps clearly violated that 2nd part. He should be immediately ineligible.

They have never had set criteria for punishment for various violations. Which has been a problem of theirs.
Again...

I am not unclear as to what the rule is. I can read. I am unclear as to how the NCAA will determine what is against their posted rules and what they will do about it if they come to this determination. It's the same as the KU NCAA case; we all have common sense and understand what is happening but proving a violation requires more than just common sense.

The NCAA will likely look at the Wong case in 2 years, find him ineligible after he is done playing and then ban Miami from the tourney for playing an ineligible player 5 years after he has left campus and some kids who are currently in 8th grade won't get to play in the tourney. That'll show them!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

For what it's worth, the last several pages on this thread are the inevitable result of the NCAA still trying to solve this issue through vague and ambiguous Rules (albeit just less ridiculous than the old ones).

The starting place for all of this should have been "basketball players should have fundamentally the same rights and obligations as any other student," with any exceptions flowing from there.

Instead, the starting place was - AGAIN - Papa NCAA knows best, and here are the Rules. We wrote them, we enforce them, we interpret them, you'll get what we allow you to have.

I am NOT AT ALL saying there should not be rules. They should, though, be reality-based and grounded in the idea that basketball players should generally have the same rights and obligations as any other student.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:10 am
KUTradition wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:06 am Agent for Miami's Isaiah Wong wants better NIL deal, threatens Hurricanes star will transfer, per report
if this fungus makes its' way to KANSAS, MICHHAWKS response is..............DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU ON YOUR @$$ ON THE WAY OUT.
Who is YOU here?
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:10 pm For what it's worth, the last several pages on this thread are the inevitable result of the NCAA still trying to solve this issue through vague and ambiguous Rules (albeit just less ridiculous than the old ones).

The starting place for all of this should have been "basketball players should have fundamentally the same rights and obligations as any other student," with any exceptions flowing from there.

Instead, the starting place was - AGAIN - Papa NCAA knows best, and here are the Rules. We wrote them, we enforce them, we interpret them, you'll get what we allow you to have.

I am NOT AT ALL saying there should not be rules. They should, though, be reality-based and grounded in the idea that basketball players should generally have the same rights and obligations as any other student.
i don't really disagree with you, but its apples and oranges already. for instance, do you mean any other student, or only those that are also on a full scholarship with stipend? because outside of sports, those always come with conditions that aren't imposed on all students. i had to teach labs and grade papers and maintain a 3-something gpa for mine in grad school, for instance. and none of those other full rides includes the added perks already bestowed upon basketball players.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

hoopla wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:09 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:10 pm For what it's worth, the last several pages on this thread are the inevitable result of the NCAA still trying to solve this issue through vague and ambiguous Rules (albeit just less ridiculous than the old ones).

i don't really disagree with you, but its apples and oranges already. for instance, do you mean any other student, or only those that are also on a full scholarship with stipend? because outside of sports, those always come with conditions that aren't imposed on all students. i had to teach labs and grade papers and maintain a 3-something gpa for mine in grad school, for instance. and none of those other full rides includes the added perks already bestowed upon basketball players.
But, if (I have no idea what you studied) J&J or whatever wanted to pay you a million dollars while in school, I presume you wouldn’t have been locked out of the building.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:09 pm
hoopla wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:09 pm

But, if (I have no idea what you studied) J&J or whatever wanted to pay you a million dollars while in school, I presume you wouldn’t have been locked out of the building.
has that ever happened?

Illy keeps throwing out rules

you keep going back to "same opportunities as all students"

please. kit kat bars.

back to reality ope there goes gravity.
Just Ledoux it