Transfer portal 2022

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: Transfer portal 2022

Post by Deleted User 863 »

TDub wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:18 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:09 pm
hoopla wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:09 pm

i don't really disagree with you, but its apples and oranges already. for instance, do you mean any other student, or only those that are also on a full scholarship with stipend? because outside of sports, those always come with conditions that aren't imposed on all students. i had to teach labs and grade papers and maintain a 3-something gpa for mine in grad school, for instance. and none of those other full rides includes the added perks already bestowed upon basketball players.
But, if (I have no idea what you studied) J&J or whatever wanted to pay you a million dollars while in school, I presume you wouldn’t have been locked out of the building.
has that ever happened?

Illy keeps throwing out rules

you keep going back to "same opportunities as all students"

please. kit kat bars.

back to reality ope there goes gravity.
There is no easy fix. The old rules were deemed unfair/overreaching by the courts.

What is your suggestion to improve the new rules? Or did you just prefer the old rules?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I'm of the opinion that the perks that come with being a division 1 athlete, particularly a high major div 1 athlete are indeed compensation.

I'm not against players getting a cut of t-shirts with their name on it, meals paid for, legitimate local business opportunities, appearance fees, car washes, lemonade stands etc....yknow the opportunities other students actually have....but....really, not just as some fishy justification for pay to play....

This six figure, seven figure, booster boy buyout free agency market is stupid and it has a negative impact on the sport.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

TDub wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:30 pm I'm of the opinion that the perks that come with being a division 1 athlete, particularly a high major div 1 athlete are indeed compensation.

I'm not against players getting a cut of t-shirts with their name on it, meals paid for, legitimate local business opportunities, appearance fees, car washes, lemonade stands etc....yknow the opportunities other students actually have....but....really, not just as some fishy justification for pay to play....

This six figure, seven figure, booster boy buyout free agency market is stupid and it has a negative impact on the sport.
I agree with all of that.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:30 pm I'm of the opinion that the perks that come with being a division 1 athlete, particularly a high major div 1 athlete are indeed compensation.

Of COURSE benefits are part of someone’s compensation package, part of what induces someone to do something or go somewhere. I assume that is the case for >80% of the people here.

No serious person would ever say there is no value in what was formerly all a player was allowed to get.

But, the whole thing here is that until VERY VERY recently, the only group of stakeholders in the sport who really had no seat at any table when it came to dividing up the money…was the group most responsible for generating the money. Of COURSE it was going to be a complete shit show when the light went from off to on all at once. Absolutely, that’s bad for the sport until all of this finds a level.

That’s not the players’ fault, though, and the sport must either adapt or die. Hint: it will adapt, and everything will be fine. Really.

This was one of the more thoughtful takes on the subject that I have seen: https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... nil-issue/
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:18 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:09 pm
hoopla wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:09 pm

i don't really disagree with you, but its apples and oranges already. for instance, do you mean any other student, or only those that are also on a full scholarship with stipend? because outside of sports, those always come with conditions that aren't imposed on all students. i had to teach labs and grade papers and maintain a 3-something gpa for mine in grad school, for instance. and none of those other full rides includes the added perks already bestowed upon basketball players.
But, if (I have no idea what you studied) J&J or whatever wanted to pay you a million dollars while in school, I presume you wouldn’t have been locked out of the building.
has that ever happened?

Illy keeps throwing out rules

you keep going back to "same opportunities as all students"

please. kit kat bars.

back to reality ope there goes gravity.
Students get lucrative internships with potential employers while in school (and while on scholarship!) all the time. Students profit off products they invent or services they provide, while in school (and while on scholarship!), all the time. Students make money off movies they’re in, or concerts they do, while in school (and while on scholarship!), all the time.

There is nothing fundamentally different about kids getting money, while in school and while on scholarship, related to being good at basketball.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

did Nijel Pack invent something? thats awesome. What was it?

Is he going to go work for Life Alert or whatever that place is?

He's gonna go intern there? thats cool.

concerts they do?! your really reaching here..

most college kids concerts profits include a free red solo cup and no door fee....

Same opportunities as other students!! you're gonna love it.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

if a female college student wants to exercise her freedom of expression to go shake her tits around at the Outhouse, are there any sort of Rules preventing her from doing it? Would all those dollar bills in her g-string suddenly compromise her status as a student or void any sort of eligibility for anything else?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:34 am did Nijel Pack invent something? thats awesome. What was it?

Is he going to go work for Life Alert or whatever that place is?

He's gonna go intern there? thats cool.

concerts they do?! your really reaching here..

most college kids concerts profits include a free red solo cup and no door fee....

Same opportunities as other students!! you're gonna love it.
Tell me you’re out of touch with how endorsements/sponsorships/social media works, without saying “I don’t know how this stuff works.”

It’s not for me, but the very existence of the market speaks very loudly for itself. I’d never pay $7 for a fussy coffee-adjacent drink, but the existence of the market for those speaks very loudly for itself.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

fussy?

actually sir, the big one is called a "venti"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

“ Tell me you’re out of touch with how endorsements/sponsorships/social media works, without saying “I don’t know how this stuff works.”

I’d say the same thing for you.
I work in the field.
Pack isn’t providing 800k value as an influencer or spokesperson for Life Wallet.

The booster is funneling money to get Pack to play for Miami.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

but I thought the ones who are supposed to determine the value of these sorts of things, is the free market?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Fish went with the social media/endorsement farce. Pack has 8000 followers. That’s nothing. No one knows who Nigel Pack is.

I’m working with a company that is partnering with a sports figure with 100k followers. He’s not commanding 800k. No where close.

The free market IS determining the cost, through boosters who want their schools to succeed not because they think a guy like Nigel Pack is going to actually be worth 800k for Life Wallet.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:40 am if a female college student wants to exercise her freedom of expression to go shake her tits around at the Outhouse, are there any sort of Rules preventing her from doing it? Would all those dollar bills in her g-string suddenly compromise her status as a student or void any sort of eligibility for anything else?
another irrelevant comparison. My argument has never been they shouldn't be able to have jobs or use their talents as a way to earn income.

If they want to coach summer camps for money or be a private basketball tutor for area kids I don't think anybody would be having these conversations.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so I suppose the free market argument would then be, let the invisible hand correct this?

If that's really too much for Pack then it'll come back down to earth in a hurry.

cuz the other option is what - some new iteration of The Rules? Some sort of cap on compensation? Go back to trying to enforce prohibitive measures that the Supreme Court of all entities already said cannot be prohibited? Reject the whole lot of it and embrace the virtue and purity of grade school amateur sports instead?

if one of the moms wants to take some of the players out for a snack after the game, just make sure little Timmy gets a receipt for that ice cream cone.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:07 am
ousdahl wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:40 am if a female college student wants to exercise her freedom of expression to go shake her tits around at the Outhouse, are there any sort of Rules preventing her from doing it? Would all those dollar bills in her g-string suddenly compromise her status as a student or void any sort of eligibility for anything else?
another irrelevant comparison. My argument has never been they shouldn't be able to have jobs or use their talents as a way to earn income.

If they want to coach summer camps for money or be a private basketball tutor for area kids I don't think anybody would be having these conversations.
TRICK QUESTION!

She's not likely to be wearing that g-string in the first place cuz the Outhouse is fully nude...HA!

but for real, if "shouldn't be able to have jobs or use their talents as a way to earn income" isn't your argument, then what IS your argument?

if they do use their talents as a way to earn income, it has to be under the facade of things like summer camps or private basketball tutor, rather than for things like brand endorsements?

if some booster paid a player $800k to do some layup drills with their kid, would that be kosher?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

(Whatever LifeWallet is has ALREADY got its money’s worth here, which was obviously its play, and that’s also why people need to calm down and let this stuff settle a bit.)
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:09 am

if one of the moms wants to take some of the players out for a snack after the game, just make sure little Timmy gets a receipt for that ice cream cone.

again, nobody is arguing this part of the situation

why do you keep using irrelevant examples that nobody is arguing against?
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:13 am (Whatever LifeWallet is has ALREADY got its money’s worth here, which was obviously its play, and that’s also why people need to calm down and let this stuff settle a bit.)
You have no idea.
Annual campaigns with big brands can cost what Nigel is making, including media.
Because a few BWW Chad's looked up what Life Wallet was, that was worth 800k?

Again, out of your element.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

settle down, Timmy.

now you want mint chocolate chip or Cherry Garcia?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:15 am
jfish26 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:13 am (Whatever LifeWallet is has ALREADY got its money’s worth here, which was obviously its play, and that’s also why people need to calm down and let this stuff settle a bit.)
You have no idea.
Annual campaigns with big brands can cost what Nigel is making, including media.
Because a few BWW Chad's looked up what Life Wallet was, that was worth 800k?

Again, out of your element.
You know what tells me this was worth it to LifeWallet or its owners? They agreed to pay it. It’s not that complicated. It’s really not.