Let’s have a war!

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: Let’s have a war!

Post by ousdahl »

Great. Finally, some common ground!

No time to goof around tho, this shit is furry impawrtant.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:05 pm Ousie, Putin is not going to stop at the Sudetenland, he's gonna want all of Austria. And then Czechoslovakia, and then Poland.
He doesn't even have the manpower and equipment to take half of Ukraine.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:15 pm
TDub wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:53 pm sounds like you have no idea where that other money is going either....but you'd be perfectly okay with letting Ukrainians get slaughtered.
no, I'm not.

no, really, I'm not!

that's why I had to quote this - to once again try and set the record straight, not that it matters. It's like you're not trying to engage me, so much as you're trying to engage the Q character you let live in your head.

but - for the record - I don't want ANYone to get slaughtered. I've been consistent about this.

And I think the better way to avoid slaughter is with LESS weapons, not more more more. (How American is it to have the same views about war as we do about "the best way to mitigate gun violence is more guns")

But heck, about this much: let's play ball: if we REALLY must insist that the best solution is always more weapons weapons weapons, getting shipped to all these foreign countries as fast as we can, couldn't we at least get some more solid intel before we do?
Yeah, that only works if you can get Russia to have and use less weapons. Which you can't. That's the sucky part about having an evil scumbag in charge of a major world power. At some point, you have no choice but to try to defend yourself.

What makes you think that they don't have "solid intel"? How do you think they are getting these weapons into the country?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://thebulletin.org/2022/04/siegfri ... st-heading

… The nuclear nonproliferation regime was built around the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty as its central element. However, it is embedded in a fabric of other agreements, practices, and norms that require international cooperation—and leadership from the big nuclear powers. Russia has played a central role in the nonproliferation regime and with the International Atomic Energy Agency. It’s going to be difficult to see how we’re going to live with an international system, where we have a formerly responsible nuclear state that’s now become a pariah state—a country we can no longer count on to be responsible in nuclear matters—but is still so actively involved in the nuclear arena, even though it might have shot itself in the foot.

I should add that in addition to upending the global nonproliferation regime, Russia may have also delivered the death knell to arms control, which has already been on the ropes over the past 20 year—being diminished by both Russian and American governments...
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

putin eying Moldova?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

that's actually one of the western war talking points that seems at odds with itself.

Putin somehow "doesn't even have the manpower and equipment to take half of Ukraine," yet is still simultaneously somehow a threat to succeed in some bid for world imperial conquest.

so which is it? is he gonna take over the world, or take his ball and go home?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ok
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

dangit.

Over and over I hope and think maybe we can actually just chill in this thread, but I should know better.

don't let me be annoying.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

too late. all he said was ok. because its impossible to discuss anything in this thread without a request to rehash 50 pages of thread to come full circle
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, it’s a shame.

Sigh.

If any of you guys find yourselves on a trout stream this weekend, think small. Still mostly only midge hatches. The biggest bug you’re likely to see would be a blue wing olive mayfly, which is still only about a size 18 at the biggest.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:50 am putin eying Moldova?
Yes.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:22 am
Yes.
It's all a bluff. I don't think they can finish the job in Ukraine, much less bite something else off.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:33 am
Yes.
It's all a bluff. I don't think they can finish the job in Ukraine, much less bite something else off.
I don’t think he will finish the job before starting on Moldova. I think he’s that dumb/arrogant
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:48 am

Yes.
I don’t think he will finish the job before starting on Moldova. I think he’s that dumb/arrogant
Good. Let 'im.* Deeper the hole the better.

* Easy for me to say here from my desk in the middle of the US.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Ousdahl is gonna clownsuit you for comments like that......right?
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:43 am dangit.

Over and over I hope and think maybe we can actually just chill in this thread, but I should know better.

don't let me be annoying.
This is the response to "ok". Wow.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:50 am

Right. Unfortunately the best outcome to this situation will happen after Putin invades ________.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:32 am that's actually one of the western war talking points that seems at odds with itself.

Putin somehow "doesn't even have the manpower and equipment to take half of Ukraine," yet is still simultaneously somehow a threat to succeed in some bid for world imperial conquest.

so which is it? is he gonna take over the world, or take his ball and go home?
Kinda agree with this - it's become a thing to portray the adversary as both an evil plotting mastermind, and also an idiot at the same time. Happened with Obama and Trump, happening now with Putin.

I'll take the unders on him invading Moldova.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:26 pm
jfish26 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:50 am

Right. Unfortunately the best outcome to this situation will happen after Putin invades ________.
the space two meters below the ground.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

lol, that too. Someone needs to kill that prick. Like 15 years ago.