Transfer portal 2022

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: Transfer portal 2022

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:55 pm Here you go, Illy. "Enforce the rules"

https://www.si.com/college/2022/05/03/t ... -be-coming
Good. They're ruining what should be a good thing. And those players that are breaking the rules should be ineligible for college athletics.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

College leaders are beginning to speak out publicly about the situation, airing their frustrations over an NIL concept that has quickly evolved from its original intent of star athletes sponsoring a local business to crowdfunding models doling out four- and five-figure payments for appearances.

“Everybody wants to hide under the NIL umbrella. This isn’t NIL,” Colorado AD Rick George told SI last week. “As the leaders of the industry, we have to say, ‘This is not acceptable.’”

“The only ones getting penalized are the ones trying to follow the rules,” said Todd Berry, the executive director of the American Football Coaches Association. “If a booster decides it’s worth $100,000 for a player to have a 30-minute autograph signing, and you say he can’t do that, I don’t know if that’s going to fly in the courts.”
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:41 am College leaders are beginning to speak out publicly about the situation, airing their frustrations over an NIL concept that has quickly evolved from its original intent of star athletes sponsoring a local business to crowdfunding models doling out four- and five-figure payments for appearances.

“Everybody wants to hide under the NIL umbrella. This isn’t NIL,” Colorado AD Rick George told SI last week. “As the leaders of the industry, we have to say, ‘This is not acceptable.’”

“The only ones getting penalized are the ones trying to follow the rules,” said Todd Berry, the executive director of the American Football Coaches Association. “If a booster decides it’s worth $100,000 for a player to have a 30-minute autograph signing, and you say he can’t do that, I don’t know if that’s going to fly in the courts.”
"...that has quickly evolved from its original intent of star athletes sponsoring a local business..."

Eh, that was not "the original intent" of NIL at all. Gimme a freaking break. Whether that was a person's original vision is another thing but it was 100% NOT the intent of the allowance of NIL.The intent was for athletes to be eligible to receive whatever the market felt they were worth, period. And that is what is happening. Now the ncaa just needs to figure out how to better define the parameters in which that can happen and still retain college eligibility, how to monitor adherence to those parameters and how to enforce it. Which they should have done from Day One.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:41 am College leaders are beginning to speak out publicly about the situation,*1* airing their frustrations over an NIL concept that has quickly evolved from its original intent of star athletes sponsoring a local business to crowdfunding models doling out four- and five-figure payments for appearances.

“Everybody wants to hide under the NIL umbrella. This isn’t NIL,” Colorado AD Rick George told SI last week.*2* “As the leaders of the industry, we have to say, ‘This is not acceptable.’”*3*

“The only ones getting penalized are the ones trying to follow the rules,” said Todd Berry, the executive director of the American Football Coaches Association. “If a booster decides it’s worth $100,000 for a player to have a 30-minute autograph signing, and you say he can’t do that, I don’t know if that’s going to fly in the courts.”*4*
1 - Oh I'll bet they are.

2 - But yes, it is. It is an agreement between a player and a third party, under which the player gives the third party negotiated rights to use the player's name, image and likeness, in exchange for money. That's NIL.

3 - The "leaders of the industry" cannot shed a tear over this, as they're the ones who steered the bus over the damn cliff rather than figure out a detour that made sense.

4 - The courts? Huh?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

When I read that article I couldn't help but think some of those guys sounded like K-Staters crying about the unfairness of it all after realizing they are small-timers.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

2. Eye roll.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:58 am2. Eye roll.
I think, more than anything else, what you're seeing are very naive (or self-serving) reactions to the black market coming into the light.

Do I think things will stay Pack-hot forever? I do not.

But the existence of a market this strong speaks for itself (and makes doing nothing for so long all-the-dumber; you can't stamp out this sort of demand by heavy-handed fiat). You can't wish or ban it out of existence.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I never have said that I could.
I think you'll loose some fans but not enough to make a difference.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The most annoying part of speaking with you both about it, is the complete disregard, so pretentiously giggly, of the people who dont like the state of what the sport is becoming.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:04 amDo I think things will stay Pack-hot forever? I do not.
And I don't foresee things like $100,000 30-minute autograph sessions.

Barnstroming event just brought in $100k, but featured every player as well as a game and dinner with team.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:54 am
pdub wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:41 am College leaders are beginning to speak out publicly about the situation,*1* airing their frustrations over an NIL concept that has quickly evolved from its original intent of star athletes sponsoring a local business to crowdfunding models doling out four- and five-figure payments for appearances.

“Everybody wants to hide under the NIL umbrella. This isn’t NIL,” Colorado AD Rick George told SI last week.*2* “As the leaders of the industry, we have to say, ‘This is not acceptable.’”*3*

“The only ones getting penalized are the ones trying to follow the rules,” said Todd Berry, the executive director of the American Football Coaches Association. “If a booster decides it’s worth $100,000 for a player to have a 30-minute autograph signing, and you say he can’t do that, I don’t know if that’s going to fly in the courts.”*4*
1 - Oh I'll bet they are.

2 - But yes, it is. It is an agreement between a player and a third party, under which the player gives the third party negotiated rights to use the player's name, image and likeness, in exchange for money. That's NIL.

3 - The "leaders of the industry" cannot shed a tear over this, as they're the ones who steered the bus over the damn cliff rather than figure out a detour that made sense.

4 - The courts? Huh?
The “leaders of the industry” part is so comical.

Also, #2, yeah that’s 100% what NIL is. This guys a fucking butt hurt clown.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:18 amThe “leaders of the industry” part is so comical.
The young black kids making the money is threatening everything they have ever believed in. The walls they built are crashing in on them and they are lashing out--you can feel that anger. The leaders of the industry have had enough!

There are obvious parallels to other parts of society, particularly in the last 5-10 years.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:58 am
Cascadia wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:18 amThe “leaders of the industry” part is so comical.
The young black kids making the money is threatening everything they have ever believed in. The walls they built are crashing in on them and they are lashing out--you can feel that anger. The leaders of the industry have had enough!

There are obvious parallels to other parts of society, particularly in the last 5-10 years.
Real leaders of the industry would have seen this coming and moved to unionize the labor force. This would have led to a CBA the would have help control this mess we’re in now.

But, nah brah, head in the sand is a better approach!
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

(directed at CnB; I agree with Cascadia)
I see it more like Bills and Packers fans fighting to keep their teams in small markets. Sure, there is revenue sharing from the league and there is all that history with their fans, but there is always the lure of the other markets that can offer bigger bucks.
Last edited by DrPepper on Wed May 04, 2022 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:02 am

Real leaders of the industry would have seen this coming and moved to unionize the labor force. This would have led to a CBA the would have help control this mess we’re in now.

The more sinister rationale is that they thought they could keep the status quo. Convince the fans and masses that the way it has always been done is the right, just way. Keep the dirty money quiet by making arbitrary and archaic rules and market it as "the purity of the game." Purity of the game was their weapons of mass destruction.

Then, like so often, the FBI ruins everything.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

DrPepper wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:05 am I see it more like Bills and Packers fans fighting to keep their teams in small markets. Sure, there is revenue sharing from the league and there is all that history with their fans, but there is always the lure of the other markets that can offer bigger bucks.
Their student athletes are also allowed to participate in NIL.

Good leaders make their place an attractive place to be.

Bad leaders create immoral and sometimes illegal rules to force people to stay.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:05 am

The more sinister rationale is that they thought they could keep the status quo. Convince the fans and masses that the way it has always been done is the right, just way. Keep the dirty money quiet by making arbitrary and archaic rules and market it as "the purity of the game." Purity of the game was their weapons of mass destruction.

I think the "real" explanation is likely to be much much more mundane: the NCAA became such a grotesquely overwrought beast, with so many irons in the fire, cooks in the kitchen, competing priorities and so on, that it was effectively paralyzed, incapable of prudently managing coming change.

Which can of course be by design; that sort of inertia is ripe for exploitation. Chaos is a great cover.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:11 am

I think the "real" explanation is likely to be much much more mundane: the NCAA became such a grotesquely overwrought beast, with so many irons in the fire, cooks in the kitchen, competing priorities and so on, that it was effectively paralyzed, incapable of prudently managing coming change.

Which can of course be by design; that sort of inertia is ripe for exploitation. Chaos is a great cover.
Where the NCAA differs from other sports governing bodies is that the bylaws were outrageously numerous. Chaos is right. Every situation: new bylaw! Every crisis: committee!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:14 am

Where the NCAA differs from other sports governing bodies is that the bylaws were outrageously numerous. Chaos is right. Every situation: new bylaw! Every crisis: committee!
And its the sort of thing that one might find quite useful, had one found a comfortable, cushy space.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:14 am

If you had to print out the NCAA "Rule Book" how many pages are we talking? In the thousands, yeah?