Transfer portal 2022

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: Transfer portal 2022

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:12 am The most annoying part of speaking with you both about it, is the complete disregard, so pretentiously giggly, of the people who dont like the state of what the sport is becoming.
isn't there some debate about the "is becoming" part tho?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:39 am
pdub wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:12 am The most annoying part of speaking with you both about it, is the complete disregard, so pretentiously giggly, of the people who dont like the state of what the sport is becoming.
isn't there some debate about the "is becoming" part tho?
No bro, have you heard, it’s ruined
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

A college football player is getting over 2 million dollars to transfer to USC.

I think that's a sign of what its becoming.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Reggie Bush lulz
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I do totally get that there are parts - big, honking parts - of the changes underway that are uncomfortable, or new, or even suck.

There are real competitive balance issues. There are real loss-of-affinity issues. I don't dismiss either of these things, which go to the long-term health of the sport.

That said, (1) it's not just punting - we really do need to see how things settle here, before drawing conclusions about what should come next, and (2) the genesis of the changes is a move toward fundamental fairness. No, I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who are upset about the changes who do not recognize why they're happening.

In other words...lots of things about the changes might be bad. But they're better than the exploitative system that was previously in place.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

NCAA aims to crack down on boosters disguising 'pay for play' as name, image and likeness payments

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ments/amp/

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – Within the coming weeks, the NCAA plans to crack down on boosters who are funding name, image and likeness payments to athletes, payments the association says are violations of long-standing NCAA rules. NCAA Council chairman Shane Lyons told CBS Sports the association's ruling body is motivated to push back against what is becoming a burgeoning scandal of disguised "pay for play" in college athletics.

"How are they having conversations [with athletes]? They're boosters," Lyons said Tuesday during the Fiesta Summit, a series of conference spring meetings. "We've never let boosters be involved in the recruiting process. Where did it go off the tracks? … The collectives are boosters."

Those collectives -- of which some estimate there may be more than 100 -- emerged as an unintended consequence of what has basically become unchecked NIL benefits. The heads of some of the larger collectives are well known to both coaches and administrators…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:10 pm NCAA aims to crack down on boosters disguising 'pay for play' as name, image and likeness payments

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ments/amp/

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – Within the coming weeks, the NCAA plans to crack down on boosters who are funding name, image and likeness payments to athletes, payments the association says are violations of long-standing NCAA rules. NCAA Council chairman Shane Lyons told CBS Sports the association's ruling body is motivated to push back against what is becoming a burgeoning scandal of disguised "pay for play" in college athletics.

"How are they having conversations [with athletes]? They're boosters," Lyons said Tuesday during the Fiesta Summit, a series of conference spring meetings. "We've never let boosters be involved in the recruiting process. Where did it go off the tracks? … The collectives are boosters."

Those collectives -- of which some estimate there may be more than 100 -- emerged as an unintended consequence of what has basically become unchecked NIL benefits. The heads of some of the larger collectives are well known to both coaches and administrators…
Lol. So NIL is fine...unless the party paying for it is somehow in any way maybe connected to a school.

jenniferlawrenceok.gif
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I find it somewhat unbelievable that a few of you really think boosters aren’t paying for athletes to attend their schools under the guise of NIL.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Who has said that?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:41 pm I find it somewhat unbelievable that a few of you really think boosters aren’t paying for athletes to attend their schools under the guise of NIL.
I would hope that no one actually believes that because it is 100% continuing to happen just like it has always happened. At least they have to pay taxes on it now, I suppose.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:00 pm A college football player is getting over 2 million dollars to transfer to USC.

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Board ... --3793625/

"The Daily article "Play for Pay" written by Lonnie White, revealed that he received $14,000 in different forms of "benefits" gained by selling season tickets while a wide receiver and special teams football player for USC in the 1980s. "
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

pdub wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:00 pm A college football player is getting over 2 million dollars to transfer to USC.

Is this the Pitt WR? I haven't see the article about that. I only saw he was in the transfer portal and it wasn't about a NIL bidding war but that he was trying to find a good offensive system to prepare him for pro football.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

For the record, I do think boosters are paying athletes to attend their schools under the guise of NIL
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:30 pm For the record, I do think boosters are paying athletes to attend their schools under the guise of NIL
Me too.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:30 pm For the record, I do think boosters are paying athletes to attend their schools under the guise of NIL
They're called graduation gifts.

- Roy Williams
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:15 pm

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Board ... --3793625/

"The Daily article "Play for Pay" written by Lonnie White, revealed that he received $14,000 in different forms of "benefits" gained by selling season tickets while a wide receiver and special teams football player for USC in the 1980s. "
14k, when you're already at the school, is different, even with inflation, than 2 million, to entice a player to transfer to your school.

I never said it was perfect. I don't think guys like Frank Mason or Perry Ellis were getting 30k on the side every season under the table. Sorry, I don't. Were they getting hooked up with free gear and meals etc? Extra spending money besides the stipend? I'm sure.

I'm not a fan but that's like going 40 on the residential street with a 25 mph speed limit that probably should be 35.

But money in hand should not be used as a recruiting tactic, for guys who don't care about college, yes, the actual college and what comes with it, i.e. courses, being a part of the student body, or as a way to lure already committed players to new programs. I absolutely do not think it should.

That's like removing the speed limit on the street altogether.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:35 pm
They're called graduation gifts.

- Roy Williams
lol, nailed it!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I mean, gross:

https://6thmanstrategies.com/100-club/

Hey, one time payment, 12k.

6th man strategies. We're the 6th man guys. Let's buy the best dudes we can afford.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

For the record.

I do not think Perry Ellis and Frank Mason were getting $30k every year at KU.

I do think Mason probably got something close to that his senior year.

I do think Wiggins, Jackson, Selby, Alexander, Diablo, Oubre, Arthur, Remy, etc all got at least $30k a year.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

for some reason, the name Jesus Shuttlesworth just popped into my head
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?