The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
Overlander
Contributor

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by Overlander »

pdub wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:38 am I have the original.

Hard to believe he is still single….
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He isn’t when he’s running on beaches with me.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Never mind the fact that I'm ugly; being short, fat, bald, having no "game" (and being a miserable putz), probably plays a big role in my being single too.
Which is probably what I should have printed on the back of the next batch of GUTTER shirts.

Back to The Great Outdoors.....
Last night not too far outside my great out door I discovered the wonders of nature (not rolling in the rushes down by the riverside).

Yet another shooting about 6-8 blocks away. In the middle of one of the "nice" areas.
In other words, my mantra for today in regards to the recent "situation/s" in Chicago is - humans suck.
Worst thing God created was man and woman. I think he/she/it should have been content with animals roaming the Earth. Was there really a need for humans?

randylahey wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:33 pm
Rainbows I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than to go digging stuff up on a message board.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
digitalkookie

Post by digitalkookie »

Jesus Gutter, I used to live at 10 W Elm

Glad I no longer live in Chicago
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I lived next door at 14 W. Elm for a couple of years.

This morning I was greeted with witnessing the aftermath of an attempted car jacking a block from my home.

Back to the great outdoors.....
This morning on Twitter I saw someone tweet that "rural Illinois" is beautiful and posted a pic of some area with nice greenery.
I laughed. I wondered if the person assumed Illinois is an ugly state in it's entirety and I wondered if they knew/know 49 other states have beautiful rural areas too.
One thing I feel too many Americans take for granted is just how beautiful a lot of our country is.
randylahey wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:33 pm
Rainbows I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than to go digging stuff up on a message board.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

speaking of chi-town…heard some quotes about the city on the radio this morning from one of the fine candidates for governor, darren bailey

sounds like a winner to me. nothing ingratiates a candidate to their constituency like disparagement
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:51 am One thing I feel too many Americans take for granted is just how beautiful a lot of our country is.
we know.

we have the greatest abundance of natural beauty on the face of the earth.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

USA USA USA USA
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I will say, if I havent been clear before. Attacks that take place on allotments....I dont see as a reason to eliminate the wolf. Those allotments are in the mountains and protecting the livestock should fall to the rancher not the state. They should be allowed to graze that land, but at the ranchers risk.

The attacks of which I have reference before as a problem are the private land depridation occurrences.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I will also say.....there are more wolves than the state admits. I have seen them, everyone i know that cuts firewood or hunts has run into them. They are larger in number than the official record.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:51 am wolves in Oregon…there is a way

https://defenders.org/blog/2022/06/poor ... gon-062722
That site should knock that h1/title font-size down a touch at the desktop breakpoint.
Like 4rem, or max 4.5rem, instead of 5.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Love it.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I should clarify, I love that wolves are in Oregon.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:07 pm

That site should knock that h1/title font-size down a touch at the desktop breakpoint.
Like 4rem, or max 4.5rem, instead of 5.
CONTACT US

1130 17th Street NW
Washington, DC 20036
1-800-385-9712
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:35 pm I will also say.....there are more wolves than the state admits. I have seen them, everyone i know that cuts firewood or hunts has run into them. They are larger in number than the official record.
i don’t disagree, but these kinds of arguments are always funny to me (no offense)

you’re saying that the official state count is low, right? by how much? and based on, what, anecdotal reports from people who would benefit from more lax regulations on killing wolves?

do you think the biologists are artificially suppressing the reported numbers? or is it just that their methods are insufficient?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i apologize if i mischaracterized the folks you’ve heard from, TDub…not trying to be a dick. i’m honestly curious about whatever details you’re willing to discuss

i fully admit that i may have a false/inflated impression of (and trust in) the biologists and their census methods
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:03 pm
TDub wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:35 pm I will also say.....there are more wolves than the state admits. I have seen them, everyone i know that cuts firewood or hunts has run into them. They are larger in number than the official record.
i don’t disagree, but these kinds of arguments are always funny to me (no offense)

you’re saying that the official state count is low, right? by how much? and based on, what, anecdotal reports from people who would benefit from more lax regulations on killing wolves?

do you think the biologists are artificially suppressing the reported numbers? or is it just that their methods are insufficient?
He asked 100 people at the mall!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:03 pm

I dont think they're artificially keeping them low necessarily but I do believe they are low. I think its hard to track that sort of thing accurately and perhaps they are only tracking collared wolves. I havent checked recently but for several years the official count for this region was 7 wolves. Ive seen them numerous times, usually in pairs and find it highly unlikely that of all the thousands of acres I randomly would come across 2 of the 7 of them in my path.

I have a buddy that was up scouting for elk season and has several videos of a pack across the draw from him.

A guy I cut wood with sees them fairly regularly.

My brother in law has video of October when his elk camp was circled by at least 4 wolves

Yes, these are all anecdotal stories that I dont have any scientific research behind. But the sightings and interactions are numerous enough that it would be absolutely stunning for the number of wolves in the official count to be spotted so frequently.
Just Ledoux it