2022-2023 Lineup

Kansas Basketball.
randylahey

Re: 2022-2023 Lineup

Post by randylahey »

twocoach wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:16 pm
randylahey wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:53 am
twocoach wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:44 am

Didn't Harris win us a game by breaking down the defense and getting to the rim for a last second score vs. Iowa State? It may not be "his game" as he isn't going to be Frank Mason doing it 10 times a game but it doesn't mean it isn't something that he isn't capable and trustworthy to do.

I don't believe that a team needs "that guy". Last year's team didn't have one guy who always did that. Frankly they probably won it all in large part because they didn't have one guy who everyone knew would get the ball down 1 late. Every starter on the team hit big buckets late to win us games at some point in the season.
I mean he found an opening and made a little layup at the end of the game. It was a good play. it was clutch. but that isn't always going to work out that way.

Last year's team absolutely had "that guy".... we actually had (at least) 2 of them. Remy and Och could both be "that guy". good teams have to have "that guy"
but i get what you mean, you don't want to be too predictable and rely on one guy too much
Go look through the results from last year. We only had maybe 1 or 2 games where something like we are talking about was remotely necessary. Outside of the Iowa State winning shot by Harris, the next big "that guy" shot was a three by Braun to break a tie with 13 seconds left @OU. The big Texas OT game to win the Big 12? From after Wilson's made shot with 5:49 left in regulation to the end of OT, KU made TWO baskets and 13 free throws.

The need for "that guy" is vastly overrated as a thing. Good teams with great coaches figure out how to get good looks.
You must've forgot a lot of last. Ochai hit a 3 to send us to overtime against tech for example
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:16 pm I think you’re gonna be surprised/upset.
I think dajuan will be good. Veteran presence leader. Stud defender. Hes gonna make life a lot easier for everyone else on the team.

But if I had to guess his per game stats this season:
7 pts
5 ast
2 steals

Good numbers for a role player
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:34 am
twocoach wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:16 pm
randylahey wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:53 am

I mean he found an opening and made a little layup at the end of the game. It was a good play. it was clutch. but that isn't always going to work out that way.

Last year's team absolutely had "that guy".... we actually had (at least) 2 of them. Remy and Och could both be "that guy". good teams have to have "that guy"
but i get what you mean, you don't want to be too predictable and rely on one guy too much
Go look through the results from last year. We only had maybe 1 or 2 games where something like we are talking about was remotely necessary. Outside of the Iowa State winning shot by Harris, the next big "that guy" shot was a three by Braun to break a tie with 13 seconds left @OU. The big Texas OT game to win the Big 12? From after Wilson's made shot with 5:49 left in regulation to the end of OT, KU made TWO baskets and 13 free throws.

The need for "that guy" is vastly overrated as a thing. Good teams with great coaches figure out how to get good looks.
You must've forgot a lot of last. Ochai hit a 3 to send us to overtime against tech for example
A lot? That's one. The Harris shot is two. The Braun shot I mentioned vs OU is three. The game @ KSU was all Agbaji to close it out, that's four. Other tight games were vs the two home games to end the season vs TCU and Texas (both were nothing but free throws down the stretch) and the loss at Texas where KU had 2 TOs and 2 missed free throws and zero shot attempts in the last minute.

Agbaji in two games, Harris in another, Braun in another. DMac with a chance vs. Dayton late. Wilson with a chance in the Texas game late. Pretty much proves my point that Self gets guys open looks based on the matchup and how they play the call he chooses. You don't need one guy to be "that guy". You just needs guys who do their job right and are ready if they end up with the ball in their hands when the coach calls a play and it plays out.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:40 am
I think dajuan will be good. Veteran presence leader. Stud defender. Hes gonna make life a lot easier for everyone else on the team.

7 pts
5 ast
2 steals

I think Dajuan will be excellent at what he does well (defense and running the offense) and a little better at what he doesn't do well (attacking the rim when available and three point shooting). No clue how the overall numbers will be as they are mostly dependent on how the newcomers to their role do in Dick, Rice and Clemence.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

twocoach wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:23 pm

7 pts
5 ast
2 steals

I think Dajuan will be excellent at what he does well (defense and running the offense) and a little better at what he doesn't do well (attacking the rim when available and three point shooting). No clue how the overall numbers will be as they are mostly dependent on how the newcomers to their role do in Dick, Rice and Clemence.
Yeah I agree. Im putting a lot of faith in McMullar having a good year. He might be our best player overall this season. Jalen Wilson should be our offensive star. Dick should come in ready to produce. Rice maybe behind that group.

I think clemence is gonna take a huge step forward.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Despite losing ochai and Braun, we are still absolutely loaded on the wing. Adding two 5 star freshman and one top tier transfer obviously helps.

Wilson, mccullar, dick, and rice. Thats a ridiculously good group of wings. A ton of versatility. Will be fun to see the lineups self uses
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

7 pts
5 ast
2 steals

Every team kind of needs one of these guys as a starter.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Last 2 starting PGs on KU National Championship teams...

Russell Robinson
Dajuan Harris
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

crazy…RussRob’s stats that year are near identical to those that randy posted for DH next year

DH’s stats last year are worse in pts/gm and steals, but better in assists
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Need Dick or Rice to fulfill that Sherron and Remy scoring role. Just feels like one starts and the other is the 6th man. Who knows who fulfills which role, but the starting 5 probably needs the better shooter.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I wonder if it's a sure thing one of those guys starts.

gotta figure Self is tempted to start KJ, maybe even Yes or Bobby or something, over a freshie.

but yea, you also gotta figure Self knows we need shooting, even if it is a freshie.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Not a for-sure thing, but if I were a betting man . . .

Self will now start a freshman if they're ready (and/or if he has literally no other choice).

We don't know for sure if the freshman wings are ready, but we know that, on paper, this team really needs both of them to play minutes, which Self has acknowledged. I would guess Dick is further along in his development just because it seems like he has played more games at the top pre-college levels.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:48 am I wonder if it's a sure thing one of those guys starts.

gotta figure Self is tempted to start KJ, maybe even Yes or Bobby or something, over a freshie.

but yea, you also gotta figure Self knows we need shooting, even if it is a freshie.
starts when?

i’d lay a bet that the starters to open the season won’t be the same as those that close the season
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

that's a good point, about changing starters.

this might be the kind of season we start the new year with like multiple games in a row we can't break 60 points, then player's only meeting and new lineup outta winter break.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:53 am Not a for-sure thing, but if I were a betting man . . .

Self will now start a freshman if they're ready (and/or if he has literally no other choice).

We don't know for sure if the freshman wings are ready, but we know that, on paper, this team really needs both of them to play minutes, which Self has acknowledged. I would guess Dick is further along in his development just because it seems like he has played more games at the top pre-college levels.
If Dick isn't ready to start Day One over Yesefu or Pettiford then I am going to be bummed. Unless he is just a defensive disaster, I fully expect him to be better than either of those two immediately. It's not like either of those two has a ton of experience to overcome.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I agree. And it's a honeymoon season. We don't need to put together a 1-seed resume at all costs.

Get your best talent regardless of class on the floor early.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

If self wanted to start the season with zero freshman. He could

Dajuan
Yesefu
Mccullar
Wilson
Kj adams
Clemence.

Id guess some combination of 5 of them.
Hell honestly thinking rice or dick are ready to start day 1 might be getting ahead of ourselves. We have a good group of returning guys. Shit self was pretty high on pettiford at one point too
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:44 pm If self wanted to start the season with zero freshman. He could

Dajuan
Yesefu
Mccullar
Wilson
Kj adams
Clemence.

Id guess some combination of 5 of them.
Hell honestly thinking rice or dick are ready to start day 1 might be getting ahead of ourselves. We have a good group of returning guys. Shit self was pretty high on pettiford at one point too
Sure, I agree with that on principle. We have no idea how any one of the "new role" guys will be, be it freshmen or returners looking to step up their role such as Adams, Pettiford, Clemence or Yesefu. That's part of the fun of the first few months of the season is watching that all sort out.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

how big will randy’s meltdown be if Bobby is ahead of Yes on the depth chart?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

well, hasn't it been suggested Yes is explicitly a 2-guard?

so the question may be more how much he plays alongside Dajuan/Bobby, rather than above/below on the depth chart.

Or, a question of whether Bobby plays alongside Dajuan, particularly for matchups we want multiple smalls.

Or, a question of if neither freshy wing is ready for big minutes so we gotta go with our upperclassman runt of a scoring guard instead.

fuck, I dunno. How long til late night?!?!?!?!