2022-2023 Lineup

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: 2022-2023 Lineup

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yes, that's right. I don't foresee much of Harris and Pettiford playing next to each other if it unfolds how we expect it to given what the staff has said so far.

And, knowing what we know now, I'm more in favor of McCullar playing backup PG than I am making sure both Yesufu and Pettiford see the court this season--provided that Dick and Rice are where we think they are. Think 2020 Marcus Garrett.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I dunno how you could play multiple non-scoring small guards together with Dajuan and Bobby.

but then again, there have been times Self put out like Dajuan/Marcus/Bryce Thompson or something, so who knows. (and at least that lineup had length)

And I'm down for McCullar as backup PG, but that may also conflict with Self's bro crush on Bobby.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I wasn't aware of a crush on Pettiford.

My pause here is that Self's offense, when relegated to the halfcourt, does at times look better with two ballhandling smaller guards--so seeing that again wouldn't be a shock. However, the wildcard with that is, again, McCullar's point guard history.

If Yesufu can shoot high 30's in 3P, though, he's gonna play and we won't have much to worry about.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea.

while Self's offense definitely likes multiple handlers, maybe even multiple small handlers, last year also suggests we work well with one small handler and ball-skilled wings as secondary handlers by committee.

Those sorts of lineups are better suited to switching on anyone defensively too.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:57 pm how big will randy’s meltdown be if Bobby is ahead of Yes on the depth chart?
Depends on how each of them look this season. Its a new year. Im open minded.

Pettigrew sucked asss the last year. And we all know it. But he was a true freshman trying to find a rhythm in conference season while playing through a nagging injury. Thats roughhh
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Maybe Kyle cuffe will shock everybody
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:01 pm yea.

while Self's offense definitely likes multiple handlers, maybe even multiple small handlers, last year also suggests we work well with one small handler and ball-skilled wings as secondary handlers by committee.

Those sorts of lineups are better suited to switching on anyone defensively too.
Last year suggests self is gonna get his lineups that plays best on the floor. Whether that's 1 guard 3 wings and a center or 2 guards and 3 forwards. Doesnt matter
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

randylahey wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:17 pm
KUTradition wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:57 pm how big will randy’s meltdown be if Bobby is ahead of Yes on the depth chart?

Pettigrew sucked asss the last year. And we all know it. But he was a true freshman trying to find a rhythm in conference season while playing through a nagging injury. Thats roughhh
Pettiford

Either way, I don't expect he will be ahead of Yes.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

in his limited exposure. Pettiford looked like he had more potential than Yes to me. I know you have a crush on yesefu but he has been nothing short of disappointing and 80% of the time has looked lost and fairly worthless. I hope that changes this year. Prior to the injury and illness Bobby was getting more run. Whichever one shows up is gonna play more, but I wouldn't be surprised either way. Bobby didn't suck assess except in his attempt at s return before he shutdown for the season.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

They both were pretty poor in their first year here but early on Pettiford showed more than Yes did.
Yes has speed but doesn't know what to do with it ( yet ).
He was a dismal shooter ( 34% FG, 26% 3FG ).
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

I think there is a path for both to play quite a bit. That path would be if McCullar plays as the 4 some when JW isn't and/or if we never play KJ and Clemence together. I guess you could throw in if Rice disappoints, but for some reason I think he could be the best freshman next year even though Gradey is getting the hype. Rice's strength will be an asset for him with the adjustment to the college level competition on a nightly basis.

I don't know how likely either of those scenarios are at this point. But we could see all 3 little guys play under certain circumstances. DH and Bobby seem to be more PG style. Yes is a scoring guard style, and we may need his outside shooting.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I thought Pettiford looked pretty impressive to start the season until he got injured. Then he was a mess after he returned.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:07 pm well, hasn't it been suggested Yes is explicitly a 2-guard?

so the question may be more how much he plays alongside Dajuan/Bobby, rather than above/below on the depth chart.

Or, a question of whether Bobby plays alongside Dajuan, particularly for matchups we want multiple smalls.

Or, a question of if neither freshy wing is ready for big minutes so we gotta go with our upperclassman runt of a scoring guard instead.

fuck, I dunno. How long til late night?!?!?!?!
60 days-ish until Late Night. Once NFL Football gets cooking, Late Night will creep up fast.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I didn't see a big gap between Pettiford and Yesufu last season one way or the other. Pettiford probably better early, Yesufu later. If I had to bet on one, I guess I'd go Yesufu--more experience and the shot looks a little more serviceable. Plus, I don't think Pettiford's injuries can be ignored.

As far as Bill wanting to play them together/2 smaller guards, though, I think the end of last season can kind of make us forget the regular season where the offense did struggle in the halfcourt with only one ballhandler. Maybe you can pin a lot of that on Remy being hurt/out, but that was one of the reasons why we wanted to get out and run. And we should do the same with this squad.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

All of my that said in my last post, if the staff truly doesn't want to play Yesufu on the ball as they've suggested, he becomes less valuable for me. Just play Rice.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I'm of the opinion Remy may have been thee most important piece toward that title run. Without him, we prob loose in the second round to Creighton. And in the natty, when we needed buckets down the stretch, it's not like we could count on Dajuan to be draining those stepback 3s.

I think it would be awful difficult for our or any team to truly hit our ceiling without a PG who is also a legit threat to score.

What makes us different than other teams, though, is that Self is the kinda coach who can still figure out ways to win anyway.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Remy was the biggest factor to making the Final Four.
Dave was the biggest reason we won it all.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:40 am I'm of the opinion Remy may have been thee most important piece toward that title run. Without him, we prob loose in the second round to Creighton. And in the natty, when we needed buckets down the stretch, it's not like we could count on Dajuan to be draining those stepback 3s.

I think it would be awful difficult for our or any team to truly hit our ceiling without a PG who is also a legit threat to score.

What makes us different than other teams, though, is that Self is the kinda coach who can still figure out ways to win anyway.
I could make the case that KU wouldn't have won the national title if you got rid of any one of the contributors who averaged at least 10 mpg. Agbaji, Braun, Wilson, DMac, Harris, Martin and Lightfoot were all necessary pieces to the title.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:40 amI think it would be awful difficult for our or any team to truly hit our ceiling without a PG who is also a legit threat to score.

I agree in general that having a scoring PG is going to make a team's ceiling higher. But, I think if we don't have a scoring PG, which it appears we don't, then our ceiling is what it is and we can still hit whatever ceiling that is.

Given how much talent we have at the wing and how nasty our defense should be, the ceiling still could be as high as playing in the last weekend. I'm not as high on this team as other teams we have had, but I still think, as is, they are squarely in the mix for a Top 10 ranking.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:55 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:40 am I'm of the opinion Remy may have been thee most important piece toward that title run. Without him, we prob loose in the second round to Creighton. And in the natty, when we needed buckets down the stretch, it's not like we could count on Dajuan to be draining those stepback 3s.

I could make the case that KU wouldn't have won the national title if you got rid of any one of the contributors who averaged at least 10 mpg. Agbaji, Braun, Wilson, DMac, Harris, Martin and Lightfoot were all necessary pieces to the title.
This of course, is correct, but if you had to pick the best player for the first three games of the tournament, it'd be Remy. And if you had to pick the best player for the last three games of the tournament, it'd be Dave.