2022-2023 Lineup

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: 2022-2023 Lineup

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think it depends on role. De Sousa is a good example. If you're only asked to play defense and rebound, and that's in your wheelhouse, the learning curve is easier.

De Sousa had that going for him, plus the dude was strong and athletic enough as a frosh. There are some similarities with Udeh.

Cliff, Diallo, Bragg, etc., those guys wanted to do too much right away. Clemence was too weak and KJ was too short.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Agree that role matters a lot. And, if Dick, Wilson, McCullar and Rice all deliver, Udeh shouldn’t be asked to do too much.

Too a much lesser extent Harris and Clemence can also lighten the expectations for Udeh.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:50 am
randylahey wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:17 pm
KUTradition wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:57 pm how big will randy’s meltdown be if Bobby is ahead of Yes on the depth chart?
Depends on how each of them look this season. Its a new year. Im open minded.

Pettigrew sucked asss the last year. And we all know it. But he was a true freshman trying to find a rhythm in conference season while playing through a nagging injury. Thats roughhh
I thought Pettiford looked pretty impressive to start the season until he got injured. Then he was a mess after he returned.
good analysis. but pettiford looked good against shitty competition then was a mess when he came back. he never showed any traces of an outside game, but he showed a really natural feel for getting into the lane and using the pick and roll. good instincts for when to pass and when to attack. that stuff is hard to teach
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Dajuan, Mccullar, Dick, Wilson, Clemence as starters

I see yesefu and pettiford in a battle as the only little guard that plays decent minutes off the bench. you all know I'm going yesefu. maybe theres room for both? doubt it. feels like if there is it's cause MJ rice is raw and not playing much

MJ and KJ playing good minutes. you can come up with a shitload of different lineup possibilities but I think these 8 are the guys we roll with. Udeh has crazy potential but gonna be raw. he gives us a different look at center. we will see how quickly we works himself into the flow of things

ejiafor and kuffe.. live and learn. good prospects. cam martin???
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Am I the only one that isn't very high on Rice? I think he will get minutes, because he has too much athleticism and potential to not be given a chance to learn. but it might be like 8 minutes a game. hes big strong and athletic for a guard/wing but seems like his game is still pretty raw and there might be a learning curve there. he won't be able to just dominate athletically anymore. he reminds me a ton of selden as a prospect and selden was not very good as a freshman. but selden played a ton out of necessity because that was probably bills youngest team ever and maybe worst team he has had at KU. MJ rice joins a really deep and good team. he is going to have to earn his minutes
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I’ve never seen MJ Rice play college basketball, he doesn’t remind me of anyone.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

I would think the quickest way for a wing off the bench like Rice to up his minutes is to come out and be deadly from three-point range. From what I have heard about Rice, that's not something we should expect. But the one thing this team is going to need is someone who can hit from 3 at around a 38% clip.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Right now I see rice at about 8th on our depth chart. its really hard to predict what kind of lineups we will see because there is so much versatility in guys like mccullar, wilson, dick, clemence, and adams. and I think rice starts the season behind all of them. and whether udeh gets much time affects what positions those guys play and could cut into Rice's role. whether yesefu/pettiford play time at the 1 or 2 affects that rotation and could cut into Rice's role
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

but hell there is a chance rice is more ready than dick from the start. dick seems a lot more skilled though. we need his shooting. but maybe I think dick is a lot more college ready day one than he really is. freshman are tough
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:25 pm I would think the quickest way for a wing off the bench like Rice to up his minutes is to come out and be deadly from three-point range. From what I have heard about Rice, that's not something we should expect. But the one thing this team is going to need is someone who can hit from 3 at around a 38% clip.
Yeah I think his shot kind of sucks by high level college standards. that doesn't help his case. I think he is athletically ahead and his skillset is still catching up
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

randylahey wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:28 pm
UnholyLivingDead wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:25 pm I would think the quickest way for a wing off the bench like Rice to up his minutes is to come out and be deadly from three-point range. From what I have heard about Rice, that's not something we should expect. But the one thing this team is going to need is someone who can hit from 3 at around a 38% clip.
Yeah I think his shot kind of sucks by high level college standards. that doesn't help his case. I think he is athletically ahead and his skillset is still catching up
Sounds like Wayne Selden/Kelly Oubre to me.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

as basketball evolves to being more position - less. some of these big lineups with skilled forwards playing together become really intriguing. could we see a lineup of:

Mccullar - dick - wilson - adams - clemence

because that fascinates me
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Hopefully Jalen can inch toward 38%, but his mechanics and shot selection has never wowed me.

One thing I am sure of is we are replacing a very high percentage of our scoring (80%?), so given that, I don't think the typical Self slow play the new guys is necessarily on the table this season. Grimes just had no business playing the minutes he did in 2019, but we had to do it.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:25 pm I would think the quickest way for a wing off the bench like Rice to up his minutes is to come out and be a distruptor defensively.
Fyp.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

randylahey wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:31 pm as basketball evolves to being more position - less. some of these big lineups with skilled forwards playing together become really intriguing. could we see a lineup of:

Mccullar - dick - wilson - adams - clemence

because that fascinates me
That team might get cooked on defense by smaller quicker players. And no shot blocker to save them after blow bys on the perimeter.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:22 pm Am I the only one that isn't very high on Rice? I think he will get minutes, because he has too much athleticism and potential to not be given a chance to learn. but it might be like 8 minutes a game. hes big strong and athletic for a guard/wing but seems like his game is still pretty raw and there might be a learning curve there. he won't be able to just dominate athletically anymore. he reminds me a ton of selden as a prospect and selden was not very good as a freshman. but selden played a ton out of necessity because that was probably bills youngest team ever and maybe worst team he has had at KU. MJ rice joins a really deep and good team. he is going to have to earn his minutes
I have no idea what you would base your analysis of Rice on other than a handful of youtube hype videos.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

A healthy Pettiford might surprise some people. I think he has better defensive potential than Yesefu. Dick is a baller. That didn't sound right. Mcculler is the kind of hard-nosed player Self likes. Adams could be tremendous. If Wilson improves his shooting - look out. If Clemence adds strength to his obvious skill he'll be very dangerous. Harris is an A+ floor general. Haven't seen enough of the newbies to have an opinion. Anyway, this group is extremely talented and could make some noise late in the season.

I think randylahey posted Cam Martin ??? Could be an x-factor as a stretch 4 in certain match-up situations. Big question for all backups is can they defend.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

AlOerter wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:31 pm A healthy Pettiford might surprise some people. I think he has better defensive potential than Yesefu. Dick is a baller. That didn't sound right. Mcculler is the kind of hard-nosed player Self likes. Adams could be tremendous. If Wilson improves his shooting - look out. If Clemence adds strength to his obvious skill he'll be very dangerous. Harris is an A+ floor general. Haven't seen enough of the newbies to have an opinion. Anyway, this group is extremely talented and could make some noise late in the season.

I think randylahey posted Cam Martin ??? Could be an x-factor as a stretch 4 in certain match-up situations. Big question for all backups is can they defend.
Solid take. Post more.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

It's going to be a fun and frustrating year. I'm concerned about the team defense. Last year and three years ago the defense of DMac and Dok understanding how to play ball screens and move their feet (when Dave's foot allowed him to) were a big part of those teams' success. I'm not sure how things will work without a seasoned big on that end.

Other frustrating thing is going to likely be the shooting.

Fun part will be just seeing all the new pieces. There's a ton of depth, but not much star power.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:00 am It's going to be a fun and frustrating year. I'm concerned about the team defense. Last year and three years ago the defense of DMac and Dok understanding how to play ball screens and move their feet (when Dave's foot allowed him to) were a big part of those teams' success. I'm not sure how things will work without a seasoned big on that end.
Udoka and David were not good at that, either, until they were. Udoka's looked more like improving conditioning, to me. I think Dave just took time, like most bigs under Self, because he wasn't bad at ball screens even with a bad foot in 2022. Hopefully Clemence also steadily improves there. There's always the KJ at the 5 option if we're getting roasted on ball screens, but we've also changed how we guard them in the last 3-4 seasons.