The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by ousdahl »

also kinda surprised yall didn't demand to be comped a room at trapper's lake lodge...you know, to make up for the inconvenience.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

It has been about 20 years since I last drove over there. I suggest bringing a belly boat to give yourself some back casting room. The fish were big and healthy, the largest I caught was maybe 20 inches. The water is full of leaches. I was wet wading the first day fishing nymphs. When I got out of the water I must have had 30-40 leaches attached to my legs after 2 hours in the water. The next morning at dawn I went back out with a mohair leech pattern and they tore it up. The White River, where there is public access, was very good also. The scenery is pretty spectacular and worth the drive. My cousin was there a couple of weeks ago and it looked from her photos that there was a fire within the last few years but it is still beautiful. Paddling on the lake is kind of creepy. The water is so clear you can see a long way down, and the lake is deep. I would go again.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Wife and I with 2 couples we vacation with just spent the day on the Hiawatha Bike Trail.

46 miles, 11 tunnels (1 is almost 2 miles long) 9 high trestles (amazing) and some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen.

https://www.ridethehiawatha.com/

Highly recommend this trip
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

in between border patrol agents i finally saw a road runner this trip

such cool birds. i don’t think they move like any other i’ve seen
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

tragic story, but jfc are people stupid

you never, ever keep food with you (or even that close) while sleeping in bear country

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/101249442
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

fuuuuuuck that noise…

https://www.ladbible.com/news/terrifyin ... 6.amp.html

(though i’m now enticed to tune into shark week)
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

so, now the group that has been trying to bring back the wooly mammoth (Colossal Biosciences) has set its sites on another target - the Tasmanian tiger

there’s a line from Jurassic Park that always pops into my head when i read such things
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Speaking of Jurassic Park, so I finally got to float and fish through the Jones ranch.

It’s this long private stretch of river that thee Jones guy from Dow Jones industrial bought to amuse himself and his fellow evil rich types.

14 miles in a little raft is a long day, especially when you have to stay in the boat pretty much the entire time. If you drop anchor or get out to on the shore or wade, it’s trespassing, but as long as you stay on the water it’s a legally navigable river.

And, holy shit, the fish! The kind of place trout are no longer measured in inches, but in pounds. The dood has his own team of heavy machinery to perfectly manicure the river into textbook trout habitat, and also has his own personal fish biologist on payroll to take care of them.

I saw legit 3 foot fish, and hooked a rainbow in the 25-inch range, but it took off in a circus act downstream and ultimately threw the hook.

You know what they say: fish don’t get that big by being stupid. Far from it! But in this instance, fish get that big by eating a diet of mostly dog food fed to them by that biologist.

Other fisherman friends who have been there describe the fishing as breast implants. Yeah it’s still fun cuz they’re so much bigger, but deep down you know something about them isn’t real.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Who are the wealthy ranch owners along the Eagle River? Been through there a few times--was wondering if you were talking about the same thing but they appear to be in different places.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:27 am Speaking of Jurassic Park, so I finally got to float and fish through the Jones ranch.

It’s this long private stretch of river that thee Jones guy from Dow Jones industrial bought to amuse himself and his fellow evil rich types.

14 miles in a little raft is a long day, especially when you have to stay in the boat pretty much the entire time. If you drop anchor or get out to on the shore or wade, it’s trespassing, but as long as you stay on the water it’s a legally navigable river.

And, holy shit, the fish! The kind of place trout are no longer measured in inches, but in pounds. The dood has his own team of heavy machinery to perfectly manicure the river into textbook trout habitat, and also has his own personal fish biologist on payroll to take care of them.

I saw legit 3 foot fish, and hooked a rainbow in the 25-inch range, but it took off in a circus act downstream and ultimately threw the hook.

You know what they say: fish don’t get that big by being stupid. Far from it! But in this instance, fish get that big by eating a diet of mostly dog food fed to them by that biologist.

Other fisherman friends who have been there describe the fishing as breast implants. Yeah it’s still fun cuz they’re so much bigger, but deep down you know something about them isn’t real.
The "Jones guy" from Dow Jones was Edward Jones, who died in 1920. He had one child, Arthur Conklin Jones, who died in 1941 buy had no children.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

STL people. Wonder where they went to high school.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Paul Jones.

Guessing he’s some relative.

He’s also rumored to have personally paid out of pocket to lengthen the runway at the nearest little ranch town’s 2 bit airfield, so he can now land his private jet there.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:56 am Paul Jones.

Guessing he’s some relative.

He’s also rumored to have personally paid out of pocket to lengthen the runway at the nearest little ranch town’s 2 bit airfield, so he can now land his private jet there.
https://flylordsmag.com/colorado-ranch- ... en-bigger/

"American billionaire Paul Tudor Jones II wants to make his already super-sized trout even bigger by injecting phosphorous into the river to create more habitat and food for the trout. Paul owns a 25,000-acre ranch that sits along the Blue River in Colorado. The section of the river is already known for its steelhead sized rainbow trout that many refer to as “pelletheads”. The private ranch doesn’t offer access to the general public, while many anglers do float through the area. You’ve probably seen the grip and grins and been surprised at the sheer size of these fish. So what would be the benefit of making these trout even larger?"

And he doesn't seem to be related to the Jones family of Dow Jones fame from what I can track down but he donated the money for Virginia to build their basketball arena and it is named "John Paul Jones Arena" after his father who was a lawyer and publisher in Memphis.
Last edited by twocoach on Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

They asked the same thing to Dolly Parton
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It’s funny though that the Dow Jones association is apparently just telephone game gossip among locals. Dude is actually a hedge fund bro, go figure.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:38 am Who are the wealthy ranch owners along the Eagle River? Been through there a few times--was wondering if you were talking about the same thing but they appear to be in different places.
I’m not as familiar with the Eagle, but I’m sure it has its share of high profile property owners too.

The Eagle, like the Blue and most other rivers in CO, is known for good fishing if you have a raft or if you know someone. Otherwise, it’s a very private-ownership-friendly state.

Even in states with more public-friendly water access laws, I’ve been told to err with caution. If some dispute arises between landowners and fisher bros, the law is still likely to side with the former.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I guess this goes here (Boy Finds Giant Earthworm in his Backyard)

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

soo

have you ever been out in the great outdoors and found someone's trail camera?

you just like, can't not moon that shit, right?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Wouldn't you have to be on private property to find someone's trail camera or do weird people set up trail cameras in public spaces?