2022-2023 Lineup

Kansas Basketball.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: 2022-2023 Lineup

Post by KUTradition »

i think i’m more excited about KJ than anyone else at this point
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:20 am
Mjl wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:00 am It's going to be a fun and frustrating year. I'm concerned about the team defense. Last year and three years ago the defense of DMac and Dok understanding how to play ball screens and move their feet (when Dave's foot allowed him to) were a big part of those teams' success. I'm not sure how things will work without a seasoned big on that end.
Udoka and David were not good at that, either, until they were. Udoka's looked more like improving conditioning, to me. I think Dave just took time, like most bigs under Self, because he wasn't bad at ball screens even with a bad foot in 2022. Hopefully Clemence also steadily improves there. There's always the KJ at the 5 option if we're getting roasted on ball screens, but we've also changed how we guard them in the last 3-4 seasons.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying, it took those guys time to learn, and when they did, the entire team defense looked sooo much better. Which is why I'm concerned about not having any experience at the five. And yeah, we might see more KJ there than we want just because his athleticism could help make up for that.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think Jalen is noticeably taller than KJ, but KJ probably plays taller on defense. Stronger and way better vertical. I would not describe either as a rim protector. Hope Udeh is ready, but I'd pick and roll against him all day.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

AlOerter wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:31 pm A healthy Pettiford might surprise some people. I think he has better defensive potential than Yesefu. Dick is a baller. That didn't sound right. Mcculler is the kind of hard-nosed player Self likes. Adams could be tremendous. If Wilson improves his shooting - look out. If Clemence adds strength to his obvious skill he'll be very dangerous. Harris is an A+ floor general. Haven't seen enough of the newbies to have an opinion. Anyway, this group is extremely talented and could make some noise late in the season.

I think randylahey posted Cam Martin ??? Could be an x-factor as a stretch 4 in certain match-up situations. Big question for all backups is can they defend.
I agree with pretty much all this from a potential perspective. Lots of "if's" out there but that's what preseason gets you. I am really interested to see what the tough nosed defensive effort of McCullar will do for the team. I am hoping he keeps KJ Adams after practice every day and drills him on fundamentals and tricks similar to what the Chiefs Frank Clark is doing with George Karlaftis. That play to end the half against Miami showed us KJ's potential as a defender. The ability to focus and move your feet is there. He just needs to learn more tricks of the trade so he can stay out on the floor. His ceiling is pretty high as a defender in my opinion. I just wish he was 2 inches taller.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:58 am i think i’m more excited about KJ than anyone else at this point
So many new guys or returning guys in new roles. It's hard for me to choose just one. I am excited to see what KJ, Clemence, Dick and McCullar are able to contribute.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'm excited to watch the stretches against small teams where KJ will be at the 5 and we will switch all 5 positions. We saw it some last season but adding McCullar to the mix, that defense will be stifling. Then you have 4 guys that can take the ball from defensive rebound all the way to the rim and/or set up the fast break.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i'm not very excited with espn+ since they have doubled their monthly subscription cost.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

A total of like $30 for the 3 months basketball fans will use it. KU Football will maybe use it 2 months. That's a good value still.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I'm super excited about KJ. He has some of the highest defensive potential of maybe anyone self has had. he's just an awkward fit on offense. But I'm interested in how we will use him
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I'm super excited about Clemence too. I think people are sleeping on how good he could be THIS season. we know the guy is an unbelievable shooter. he has really good touch in general. I saw flashes of toughness from him battling for rebounds. 6'10... he's not a typical "center/rim protector" but he's a big body with a high skill level.

Clemence is my pick for surprise break out player that not everyone is talking about right now
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:41 pm I'm super excited about Clemence too. I think people are sleeping on how good he could be THIS season. we know the guy is an unbelievable shooter. he has really good touch in general. I saw flashes of toughness from him battling for rebounds. 6'10... he's not a typical "center/rim protector" but he's a big body with a high skill level.

Clemence is my pick for surprise break out player that not everyone is talking about right now
Clemence got some good love in the ESPN Way Too Early rankings talk (but then they picked Udeh to be our projected starting center).

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... onal-tours

I would be surprised if Clemence isn't a starter this season.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm team Clemence.
I do think because Self has, for his entire coaching career, gravitated towards true bigs who can swallow the post defensively, Udeh has a track to getting significant minutes in the 2nd half of the season.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

who is most likely to NOT play big minutes this year?

Cam Martin? Zuby? Cuffe?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

None of those guys will play "big minutes".
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Correct.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

does Zuby take a shirt?

and maybe a walk-on or two
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:16 am does Zuby take a shirt?
Only if he wants to.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:03 am who is most likely to NOT play big minutes this year?

Cam Martin? Zuby? Cuffe?
Last year's minutes for bigs:

David McCormack: 22mpg
Mitch Lightfoot: 12mpg
KJ Adams: 5mpg
Zach Clemence: 5mpg

I think Clemence and Adams' combined minutes total will add up to the totals of DMac and Mitch, about 35 mpg between the two split up in some form. Maybe Clemence gets more in a matchup and Adams gets more in a different match up. Then I think we'll see Udeh average around that 5mpg and the other 5mpg be split between Martin and Ejiofor.

No need for a redshirt for Ejiofor as he is an injury away from being needed as a contributor.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I'm trying to decide if Cam ever plays any meaningful minutes.

He feels like a mop up guy, except he may be some high-level shooter.

Zach's a good shooter too, and projected big minutes. So maybe if we're running some offensive scheme utilizing a lot of 5-out and/or pick-and-pops or something, maybe Cam gets a few reps, so the shooting keeps going while Zach rests.

but prob not.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Has Zach put on any muscle in the off season? Dude could be a beast if he adds a little weight.
Broham