2022-2023 Lineup

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: 2022-2023 Lineup

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:31 am "Jalen returns at 11ppg. Should see a bump in his numbers, but also somewhat difficult to see him as a featured piece of the offense, considering so much of his has come from garbage duty."

It's not difficult to me to see Jalen as our featured guy.
And I think Dick can average low double figures.
And Harris is going to surprise some haters I think.
This.

I think Jalen and Gradey average 13ppg+.

DH will get into that 8-10ppg range.

Then it's a wild guess.

If Yes plays a lot, then (imo) I think he could be top 3 in scoring.

Clemence KJ MJ and Udeh could all get around 10ppg...but obviously not all of them will.

KJ seems like the least offensively talented guy we have outside of DH and Bobby.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I didn't see all of ousdahl's posts.

I think McCullar can get us 11-12 being in a better offensive system. And his shot had improved last season until his injury. He'll hopefully have more guys around him that can score this season.

I don't expect to see 5-out sets in every game. Really, it could mean that Clemence and/or Udeh can't handle the 5 spot, which is not good. But, if we're playing a small team, you can't convince me that there are many small teams out there that can compete with us athletically or score on us regularly with KJ at the 5 filled in with athletes like Rice, McCullar, and Dick. Yeesh.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't think we could manage something like that against TCU's Eddie Lampkin or OU's Tanner Groves but for sure, against a team without a hefty post, I could see KJ being the lone big.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

KJ vs. Groves might be kinda fun to watch
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:50 am
I think McCullar can get us 11-12 being in a better offensive system. And his shot had improved last season until his injury. He'll hopefully have more guys around him that can score this season.

JCL went from 14.1 ppg at ISU to 3.7 here.
Moss went from 9.2 at Iowa to 7.9 here.
Charlie Moore went from 12.2 ppg at Cal to 2.9 here.

And all those dudes were billed as scorers recruited to come in and shoot, at least more so than Kevin.

I'm not saying Kevin can't improve his scoring numbers compared to his previous season at another school, I'm just saying the historical trends suggest it isn't likely.

Now somebody guttermeter me up.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:30 am and I agree we'll be good defensively.

But, as has been asked - who scores?

Jalen returns at 11ppg. Should see a bump in his numbers, but also somewhat difficult to see him as a featured piece of the offense, considering so much of his has come from garbage duty.

Zach might be best returning shooter, but also might end up spending much of his time on the block.

Gradey's the second coming of White Jesus, but also still only a freshie. Is it too much to expect double digit average?

Kevin's an experienced D1 vet, but if the trend continues of a guy's numbers diving as soon as he transfers here, dunno if he'll be filling up stat sheets.

Yes is a scorer trapped in an undersized PG's body, but he at least has the whole "Self luvs him some Napoleon complex bulldogs" thing going for him.

what's the over/under on sub-60 point games we're likely to see?
I think we have plenty of guys capable of scoring and it will be spread out differently every game.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:07 am

And all those dudes were billed as scorers recruited to come in and shoot, at least more so than Kevin.

I'm not saying Kevin can't improve his scoring numbers compared to his previous season at another school, I'm just saying the historical trends suggest it isn't likely.

Every guy you mentioned transferred into a lesser role at KU.

McCullar is not transferring into a lesser role. Apples and oranges.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

All of those dudes came to KU going from a starter to a bench role player. Even Moss.

McCullar is going to compete with Jalen and Dajuan for most minutes per game.

I get your point, but don't think the anecdotal trend is very relevant.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I hope so.

If we end up with another season of guards who can't or don't shoot, but rather just stand stationary around the perimeter hoping for some angle to feed the post, I might just have to spend the season watching Oregon State games with the Beav instead.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:12 am I hope so.

If we end up with another season of guards who can't or don't shoot, but rather just stand stationary around the perimeter hoping for some angle to feed the post, I might just have to spend the season watching Oregon State games with the Beav instead.
I would hate to have another season of KenPom's #6 offense, led by guard scoring, and sweeping the Natty and both conference titles.

Oregon State sounds interesting though.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:10 am

extra guttery now, but that's all revisionist, after the fact.

JCL was expected to compete for a starting role, until we realized Och and CB both developed far more than expected.

Moss was being pimped as a potential NBA prospect, and had the green light to shoot on a roster that needed shooting.

Charlie Moore was supposed to be the next great Self Bulldog, until it turned out that he couldn't even beat out a freshman pg, or even stay on the floor. (thank the lord we saw him in the Elite 8 tho!)

I HOPE Kevin is ready for a big role here, and even HOPE his numbers blow up...but as a famous poster says, that and $2.25 gets you a ride on the Chicago bus.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I remember Moss starting more than 9 games tho, that's a good point.

freshman CB started 5 more games.

Which means, outside the core of Dok/Garrett/Och/Dot, the most starts to that 5th spot goes to...DMac? He really started 18 times that year? Despite being suspended for yelling at white jeans?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:14 am

I would hate to have another season of KenPom's #6 offense, led by guard scoring, and sweeping the Natty and both conference titles.

yeah, that was more of a 2021 zinger.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:18 am
twocoach wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:10 am

extra guttery now, but that's all revisionist, after the fact.

JCL was expected to compete for a starting role, until we realized Och and CB both developed far more than expected.

Moss was being pimped as a potential NBA prospect, and had the green light to shoot on a roster that needed shooting.

Charlie Moore was supposed to be the next great Self Bulldog, until it turned out that he couldn't even beat out a freshman pg, or even stay on the floor. (thank the lord we saw him in the Elite 8 tho!)

I HOPE Kevin is ready for a big role here, and even HOPE his numbers blow up...but as a famous poster says, that and $2.25 gets you a ride on the Chicago bus.
Maybe my memory is awful, but I recall 0 of those evaluations being the case.

I find some of them wild, particularly Moss as a pro prospect and 150lb Moore being labeled a bulldog.

This ain't a gutter-ism.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:22 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:14 am

yeah, that was more of a 2021 zinger.
Might as well add VCU, UNI, Bucknell, and Bradley. Zing.

CB and Och absolutely destroyed you. National Champs. First Round.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

McCullar has something those other transfers didn't have. Tough D. I think Bill cares more about that from him than points.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yeah, McCullar is going to get Marcus Garrett treatment.

72% career FT shooter, too. I think the minutes on the floor alone will get him to 9-10 points.

All this said, I agree with ous and that this team could go through scoring droughts. Because of that, right now, I don't see it as a title contender. Jalen and then Gradey, maybe MJ, could change my mind on that.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

do you really not recall anyone positing Moore would start in 18-19? At least until Devon got up to speed. Or rather, do you recall anyone (this time of year 4 years ago) positing that Devon would start the entire season?

the Moss pro talk may have come from this highlight reel being posted in his welcome thread, and the announcer saying "Isaiah Moss might have the most pro potential," which was quickly augmented with KU fans saying things like "maybe Moss's draft stock improves once his stats improve from being in a better offensive system and such..."

and certain posters were quick to point out JCL outplayed Haunkey Taunk both times when matched up head to head in 21. But again, CB and Och's development from 21 to 22 was exceptional.

Of course, now that I say all this, it prob means Kevin will blow up, in which case I would be more than happy to eat that McCrow sammich with extra mayonnaise. Gotta get the reverse jinx going again.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I honestly do not recall anyone saying really any of that in regards to either Moss or Moore.

I think if you would have asked me pro potential prior to 2020 season I would have ranked it: 1. Och 2. Dotson 3. De Sousa 4. Wilson 5. Udoka
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ok I'll allow it cuz of the Silvio love.

all his faults aside, I think it's likely we would have kept the streak alive if we had him available in 2019.