No One Cares Because Nothing Matters Anymore

Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: No One Cares Because Nothing Matters Anymore

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

related to my last point in the war thread, I saw a disturbing prediction:

Puerto Rico is a sign of what's to come for the rest of the US.

We're already seeing more and more power failures in places like Texas and Cali, and more and more extreme natural disasters pretty much everywhere.

Our entire infrastructure is crumbling, and I dunno if we really have a timely or comprehensive plan for addressing it.

So much of it comes down to us doubling down on fossil fuels, and relying on bureaucracies and the "free market" and such to address it.

and so much of it comes down to us prioritizing things like war more than we prioritize the quality of living and sustainability of life in mich's own greatest country of all time.

I dunno.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:29 pm related to my last point in the war thread, I saw a disturbing prediction:

Puerto Rico is a sign of what's to come for the rest of the US.

We're already seeing more and more power failures in places like Texas and Cali, and more and more extreme natural disasters pretty much everywhere.

Our entire infrastructure is crumbling, and I dunno if we really have a timely or comprehensive plan for addressing it.

So much of it comes down to us doubling down on fossil fuels, and relying on bureaucracies and the "free market" and such to address it.

and so much of it comes down to us prioritizing things like war more than we prioritize the quality of living and sustainability of life in mich's own greatest country of all time.

I dunno.
Puerto Rico is a tiny island in the middle of the ocean. Providing power to a tiny island faces issues that providing power to a giant country does not. It may be a sign of what's to come for certain localities and regions in the US but it's probably not a sign of what's to come for the whole US. Our "entire infrastructure" is not crumbling, that is a gross simplification and exaggeration of the facts.

Do many communities face issues with the fact that no one wants to spend money on necessary things like utilities, sewer, water, power etc... and instead want communities to spend money on "fun stuff"? Sure. That's why we should stop putting morons into elected positions.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah, let's hope it's oversimplified and exaggerated.

Puerto Rico specifically could prob benefit from having its own oversight, rather than some unelected bored that makes their financial decisions for them.

They could prob benefit from being able to control their own power grid, rather than having it controlled by some corporation outta Texas and Canada.

And they could really prob benefit from the most expedited possible green energy infrastructure, rather than having to expect fossil fuels to still be shipped in from abroad and such.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

my power is on almost all the time. in the last calendar year, it probably has not been out much at all. except for a couple hours total.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Sports are a nice distraction from life. A work with people from all around the world. Had dinner this evening with a young Iranian. We parted laughing and happy, but damn was there a lot of talk that was hard to process (still processing). Civil unrest sucks. When it gets to the point of civil unrest, it is probably because things have gotten really really shitty.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

speaking of civil unrest

just unverified anonymous social media accounts, I know I know

but

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and while we're at it, not sure what to think of this either:

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

getting florida restored back to its' glory is a far greater priority.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Haiti seems to have never done itself any favors

https://www.concernusa.org/story/timeli ... i-history/

5 centuries of unrest
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:14 pm getting florida restored back to its' glory is a far greater priority.
is the US annexing it?

i’m sure you’d behind an actual Seminole Nation
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

#getfloridabacktoitsawesomeness
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:14 pm Haiti seems to have never done itself any favors

5 centuries of unrest
Considering how directly that 5 centuries of unrest is correlated with 5 centuries of imperial colonization and meddling, is it fair to say Haiti has never done itself any favors?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:21 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:14 pm Haiti seems to have never done itself any favors

5 centuries of unrest
Considering how directly that 5 centuries of unrest is correlated with 5 centuries of imperial colonization and meddling, is it fair to say Haiti has never done itself any favors?
i think so

it’s also fair to say that NONE of the imperialistic powers have done them any favors either
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea, Haiti should have never invited Columbus.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

it's also fair to say that almost no one outside of haiti, gives a ship about haiti.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

well, the neville brothers did a great song called haiti. so there is that i suppose.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:15 pm #getfloridabacktoitsawesomeness
Florida Man has that covered.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I guess you would have to live in Michigan to admire Florida
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:31 pm Yea, Haiti should have never invited Columbus.
not all of the ills in this world are the result of imperialism