No One Cares Because Nothing Matters Anymore

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: No One Cares Because Nothing Matters Anymore

Post by ousdahl »

when did sQuirt ever wanna fuck the patriarchy?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:05 am I'm curious about the protests too. Power to the people, and in this case specifically women, of Iran. Fuck the patriarchy.

Now, here's my cynicism showing itself - do we really believe these protests are getting western media attention cuz the west is suddenly so concerned about women's rights?

And even if we can demonstrate western interests are concerned about women's rights, do we think that's the only concern? Is it some noble monolithic rally for women's rights, nothing but? Is that the ONLY reason we're suddenly hearing about Iran?

Or is there some combination of strategic location, and/or resource control, and/or some other interests yet, that are playing a some role in western media suddenly nurturing western sentiment for some kinda change in Iran?

Trad, you mention "some oil workers..." do you mean do say we're suddenly interested in yet another foreign country cuz of oil? Cuz in some bigger picture, there's prob something to that.
you really need to take a deep breath
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

dangit.

All I'm saying is, I believe we suddenly care about liberating the people of Iran, about as much as we cared about liberating the people of Iraqistan.

but all that gets me is labeled as lobster. Dangit.

I promise lobster and I are ideological opposites about pretty much everything. not that that matters, or that anyone cares any more.

have a good day you guys.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:21 am dangit.

All I'm saying is, I believe we suddenly care about liberating the people of Iran, about as much as we cared about liberating the people of Iraqistan.

I promise lobster and I are ideological opposites about pretty much everything. not that that matters, or that anyone cares any more.

do you even know what’s going on in iran?

“liberating the people of iran” has zero to do with any of the current protests
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

guess I don't.

Care to inform me, CoyDC?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:30 am guess I don't.

not my job, Q

if you expect me to engage in any sort of reasonable discussion, educate yourself on the topic at hand

your post that i quoted reads like it could have been pulled from any number of threads NOT related to iran
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

and please, spare me the tweets
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

damn dude. Can we please not have an edge here?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i can confirm that i do not give two $#!T$ about iran or iraq. or whatever $#!thole country you are blubbering about today.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

What are you even talking about? What efforts to "liberate the people of Iran" are happening? And are you seriously questioning the motivation of western media covering the fact that people are being murdered in the streets by government officials and hidden away in undisclosed detention centers where people can hear the screams of people likely being tortured?!?

I think you need more activities to fill your day. You have too much time on your hands to ponder nonsense.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:20 am i can confirm that i do not give two $#!T$ about iran or iraq. or whatever $#!thole country you are blubbering about today.
if you don’t care, then don’t comment

we’d all be better for it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:34 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:30 am guess I don't.

not my job, Q

if you expect me to engage in any sort of reasonable discussion, educate yourself on the topic at hand

your post that i quoted reads like it could have been pulled from any number of threads NOT related to iran
So a couple weeks ago some woman defied hijab law and subsequently died in the custody of “morality police.”

And there’s been protests since, with authoritian response to the protests.

And now, as you mention, oil workers are protesting now too.

What am I missing?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:26 am

What are you even talking about? What efforts to "liberate the people of Iran" are happening? And are you seriously questioning the motivation of western media covering the fact that people are being murdered in the streets by government officials and hidden away in undisclosed detention centers where people can hear the screams of people likely being tortured?!?
Yeah, that all these humanitarian crises are going down is awful.

But, government officials kill people in the streets all the time. Protests happen all the time. Incarcerations happen all the time. Torture happens all the time.

And again, it’s awful, don’t get me wrong!

But my question is, what makes Iran so unique? Why is it getting so much attention here and now, to the exclusion of so many protest and brutality stories otherwise?

Not that it shouldn’t be getting attention! It’s a comment on the picking and choosing what to care about.

I think you need more activities to fill your day. You have too much time on your hands to ponder nonsense.
Sound advice, thanks Mich.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:26 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:26 am

Yeah, that all these humanitarian crises are going down is awful.

But, government officials kill people in the streets all the time. Protests happen all the time. Incarcerations happen all the time. Torture happens all the time.

And again, it’s awful, don’t get me wrong!

But my question is, what makes Iran so unique? Why is it getting so much attention here and now, to the exclusion of so many protest and brutality stories otherwise?

Not that it shouldn’t be getting attention! It’s a comment on the picking and choosing what to care about.

Sound advice, thanks Mich.
I don't know what "so much attention" you're talking about. It has been reported on a little bit by news agencies as it should. There's one little story in the "News and buzz" section of cnn.com. FoxNews.com has a story about a Barney documentary higher on it's page than it's story on Iran. Where's all this extra attention it is getting?

If it is getting "extra attention" in your twitter feed then that is due to how you have your twitter account set up, not how important western media finds the story. Much to many people's disbelief, twitter mentions are not an actual glimpse into reality.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i’ve actually seen relatively little media coverage of this, which is why i posted it in this thread specifically

from what i’ve read/heard, this particular instance is different than other such “uprisings” - it’s almost as if there’s a critical mass raising their voices now. the demographics and demands are unique to this situation. you’ve got mothers and daughters protesting side by side who disagree on the way they each want to live their lives, but agree that they each should be given an opportunity to choose

this isn’t a renunciation of islam, or even of the morality police in general, as much as it is a request for choice and a desire for the iranian society to move more into the mainstream muslim world
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Yeah, this is where the twitter/facebook/instagram algorithms get you. They keep showing you the same shit. Basically the same shit that led to Q and trumpers.

I read several mainstream news websites and listen to 4 daily news podcasts. There’s been a little bit of coverage of the situation in Iran but nothing out of the ordinary.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I'll be Q on this one too. But I don't think it's oil-related. I wouldn't be surprised if the CIA and/or Mossad are playing some role in helping this along. The timing of this happening as talks to re-enter the nuclear deal started to fall apart is suspicious.

As in, a revolution may be the only way to stop Iran from having nukes at this point. And you don't want nukes in the Ayatollahs hands.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

John Oliver had some footage on his most recent episode showing hordes of teenage girls standing up defiantly, head scarfs off and with some even chucking debris at leaders…defacing images of the imam and other such things

his take echoed mine - this one sure seems different based on the demographics of those that are doing the protesting

edit: i can’t link youtube vids at work, but can see it’s there
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:28 am John Oliver had some footage on his most recent episode showing hordes of teenage girls standing up defiantly, head scarfs off and with some even chucking debris at leaders…defacing images of the imam and other such things

his take echoed mine - this one sure seems different based on the demographics of those that are doing the protesting

edit: i can’t link youtube vids at work, but can see it’s there
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-wor ... s-in-iran/

So in other words, it appears to be driven by what it is being reported to be driven by; the death of a young woman in the hands of the morality police.

I did find this portion oddly interesting as it relates to the US and issues such as abortion: "Even some conservatives have taken up that call, arguing that criminalizing violation of the rules and imposing them by force has backfired and fueled resentment toward religion."

Attempts to criminalize abortion in this country since the GOPreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade seem to be backfiring and pushing women to revolt against the GOP as a party. When your party platform behaves in a manner similar to a country as ass-backwards as Iran, you know you're headed in the wrong direction.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Of course he played the "do you know who I am?" card.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/lo ... 537120002/
Broham