2022-2023 Lineup

Kansas Basketball.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: 2022-2023 Lineup

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:45 pm My post was not meant to not give love for ZC or his toughness…
i was speaking more generally, about everyone failing to mention his name

maybe it’s me though, and i’m seeing something that isn’t there. i’d like to think (as i’m sure we all would) that he’s more than just a one dimensional kind of player
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think he's a tough kid, but he doesn't remind me of anyone Bill has had play the lone big surrounded by 4.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

that’s because we’ve not ever had anyone like him
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:27 pm that’s because we’ve not ever had anyone like him
Kind of chicken or egg. Not everyone's going to fit a coach. A coach isn't going to recruit everyone.

I'm not writing Clemence off by any means--still think he's a potential NBAer--I do think that we might have to change what we do, though, for him to play a lot. Mostly saying, we're not going to turn him into the type of player that Udoka was, or David, or Silvio, or even Landen. Some of the stuff we ran with them just isn't going to work with Zach.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:34 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:27 pm that’s because we’ve not ever had anyone like him
Kind of chicken or egg. Not everyone's going to fit a coach. A coach isn't going to recruit everyone.

I'm not writing Clemence off by any means--still think he's a potential NBAer--I do think that we might have to change what we do, though, for him to play a lot. Mostly saying, we're not going to turn him into the type of player that Udoka was, or David, or Silvio, or even Landen. Some of the stuff we ran with them just isn't going to work with Zach.
absolutely

maybe this is why i’m so intrigued by ZC - he isn’t at all a typical Self recruit

and don’t get me wrong, i’m not trying to suggest he’d have any sort of impact similar to what those more prototypical, back-to-the-basket bigs have had. i just think he’s got more paint abilities than we’ve seen

that said, i also hope Self doesn’t try to force him into being something he isn’t (which i don’t think would the case regardless)
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

“If you want a ball-screen, run-to-the-rim, defensive team, you’d probably go with Ernest or Zuby,” Self said Wednesday. “If you want a skilled, pick-and-pop team that maybe doesn’t have the same presence defensively, you probably go with Cam or Zach. But we need one of those guys to emerge. And right now they’re all just right there the same.”

This seems to be one of those cases where match-ups determine minutes. I know Self likes to pick a guy and stay with him for a starter, but that may take a while this season.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Sounds like we miss McCormack already and the season hasn't even started. Where are all his haters now. The ones that bitched about him all season last year lol
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

“But cacasdia called me dumb for it lol”
“Cascadia thought it was a "dumb take"

Are you gonna be ok?
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

One factor that seems to be of great importance to Self is the ability to hedge ball screens and get back to his man quickly. This is something that Dok was incredibly proficient at. Which of our bigs has the quickest feet? I think wing span has an impact here too, if you know how to use it.

Also, who will be strong enough to establish position on the blocks on offense and who will not get bullied by their man on defense? Lightfoot always struggled with the strength issue on defense but made up for it a little with his shot blocking ability.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

On another note, coach Norm Roberts has done an excellent job of coaching up the bigs to do all the things I listed above - even the ones who were projects and didn't come by it naturally. Even the guys that are physical specimens have to learn techniques that they didn't need in high school.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

AlOerter wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:11 am One factor that seems to be of great importance to Self is the ability to hedge ball screens and get back to his man quickly. This is something that Dok was incredibly proficient at. Which of our bigs has the quickest feet? I think wing span has an impact here too, if you know how to use it.

Also, who will be strong enough to establish position on the blocks on offense and who will not get bullied by their man on defense? Lightfoot always struggled with the strength issue on defense but made up for it a little with his shot blocking ability.
Good points.

I think we need to sacrifice some defense for offense, though.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Overlander wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:50 pm “But cacasdia called me dumb for it lol”

Are you gonna be ok?
Lol its just funny pointing it out. Cascadia went out of his way to be an ass. Was immediately proven wrong by coach self himself. And now Cascadia doesn't have shit to say
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

concordia does not have to go out of his way to be an @$$. it comes natural.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

randylahey wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:58 am
Overlander wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:50 pm “But cacasdia called me dumb for it lol”

Are you gonna be ok?
Lol its just funny pointing it out. Cascadia went out of his way to be an ass. Was immediately proven wrong by coach self himself. And now Cascadia doesn't have shit to say
i can’t speak for Cascadia, but some might argue that posting the obvious is dumb

he who i won’t mention did this ad nauseum
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:09 am concordia
how long did it take you to come up with that?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I don't agree with Medcalf's first sentence on Jalen, but challenge for Big 12 POY? I'd certainly take it.

Big 12 Conference
Mike Miles Jr. | 6-2 | G | TCU Horned Frogs

The Big 12 knew what Miles (15.4 PPG) was all about prior to March, but the whole country really got to know his potential when he scored 21 points in TCU's 69-42 win against Seton Hall in the first round of the NCAA tournament -- and followed it up with 20 points in a hard-fought, 85-80 overtime loss to top seed Arizona in the second round.

Top Competition: Jalen Wilson | 6-8 | F | Kansas Jayhawks

You could make the case that Wilson (15 points, four rebounds, two assists and a block) was the best and most important player for Kansas in its 72-69 come-from-behind victory over North Carolina in the national title game. But now he has to prove he can be a consistent presence for Bill Self and evolve into the leader of the defending champs.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... conference
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:32 pm no love for Clemence

i thought he showed some surprising toughness in the paint during his minutes last year

i know he’s a “stretch the floor” kind of guy, but you don’t grow up being that big and not develop some post skills
Young bigs always seem to take longer to be ready to play major rotation minutes under Self. It's just his system and what he asks of them, I suppose. It must just take longer for them to be able to get the reps needed to be trusted by Self and staff. We got a lot of young bigs so there are going to be some bumpy times in that department. Feels like it will be more of a situational rotation than just a "we trust this guy regardless of match up" like we are more used to. It's a true first world problem that we have a stable of young, talented bigs and aren't sure which one will be ready the fastest. Nice problem to have.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:58 am

Are you gonna be ok?
You say dumb shit all the time that gets proven wrong almost immediately and don't circle back to own your comment so clearly that isn't the expectation. It's been 5 days, I think it's time to let it go.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"You could make the case that Wilson (15 points, four rebounds, two assists and a block) was the best and most important player for Kansas in its 72-69 come-from-behind victory over North Carolina in the national title game."

No you could not.

Another player had the same amount of points while shooting a better FG%, more than double the rebounds, also had a block, played excellent defense on North Carolinas best player, and hit the game winning shot.