an even more frightening perspective

Coffee talk.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: an even more frightening perspective

Post by KUTradition »

on the heels of this recent report from WWF

https://www.worldwildlife.org/press-rel ... wwf-report
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:02 pm
on the heels of this recent report from WWF

https://www.worldwildlife.org/press-rel ... wwf-report
yuck. I'll never see the wildlife my grandparents saw.....my grandkids may never see any outside a zoo.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

StayCurious saw two squirrels and a meadowlark today so everything is fine.
He's trusting his reality.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

StayCurious reminds me of a certain comes-and-goes poster.

I'm tempted to suggest one of the previous user names

but maybe it's better to just...remain inquisitive...about StayCurious instead...
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

i dont believe its a crustacean.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Prolly psych
Broham
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea.

I'm curious about the idea of throwing soup on a CEO as a protest statement, more so than on some famous old art. It's not like the one reaping record oil profits is Van Gogh.

I'm guessing that would go from a vandalism charge to full on assault, though? among other potential issues.

If we're gonna make some push against oil, and do so within the status quo...could we, say, somehow build some legal case against oil CEO types that they've been defrauding us for years? They've known oil is bad for a long ass time and, at the very least, did a lot to downplay that anyway...right?

Who would even bring that case? DoJ and state AGs? Some interest group? Some bigger international authority yet? Congress? even if they have some legal ability (not even sure they do), but even if they did, the average congressman is so flush with oil lobby cash that they're not gonna bite the hand that feeds any time soon, right?

Or perhaps...if we may go full Qusdahl...could the better solution come from outside some status quo instead?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i become skeptical when the protestors hang around to take selfies and sign autographs. i think that was more tiktok challenge .
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

apparently due to climate change, and change-induced cannibalism
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

[/quote]

yuck. I'll never see the wildlife my grandparents saw.....my grandkids may never see any outside a zoo.
[/quote]

On my walk yesterday I saw:

4 turkeys
2 herrons
1 swan
1 deer
1 turtle
1 frog
Countless geese and ducks

I am a grandparent. So maybe that’s why.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I always thought it was Gohmert who pulled that stunt.
Broham
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://gizmodo.com/rich-countries-keep ... ce=msnlink

i don’t know what’s worse…two-faced politicians or the masses more worried about short-term gas prices than our collective long-term health
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Gas and oil has little to do with it.

If we want to be brutally honest. The main cause of the downfall of biodiversity is us feeding ourselves. Animal agriculture is the leading cause of habitat loss, species extinction, pollution of the oceans, destruction of the rainforest. All of it comes back to that

Fossil fuels are minor compared to that
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

you should get out more

1) agriculture in general, not just animal agriculture, is only part of the larger issue of habitat loss and change

2) the fossil fuel industry is more than just oil and gas

3) the issues threatening biodiversity are absolutely inter-related, and imo must be treated as such

4) climate will only increase in its impact on species’ viability. we’re vastly lacking in data on individual species’ climate/environmental niches, making the actual current effect a likely underestimate (most of those species for which we do have data support this supposition)

5) as with climate in general, implications from things like microplastics (hello fossil fuel industry) are still largely unknown, for both humans and non-humans

6) the point of the article was point out the failings of the “world leaders” to actually lead and follow through with their pledges
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

it has been in the 70's where i live these last several days. the climate is perfect for this time of year.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:45 am it has been in the 70's where i live these last several days. the climate is perfect for this time of year.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1494&p=289460#p289460

(not climate, ignoramus)