an even more frightening perspective

Coffee talk.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: an even more frightening perspective

Post by KUTradition »

i should also point out that the issue isn’t just biodiversity loss, but biodensity loss

the recent reports of 60-70% reductions in animal populations globally isn’t necessarily the same as biodiversity loss
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

this time of year. i shouldn't drive at night without being on high alert for deer.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

We probably grow more crops to feed our livestock than we do to feed ourselves globally. Agriculture often IS animal agriculture

Number one cause of rainforest destruction? Tearing down forest to create cropland to grow seed for livestock or create new grazing lands for livestock

Number one cause of ocean deadzones? Crop fertilizer runoff from fertilizer used on crops grown to feed our livestock

There is little difference separation of agriculture from animal agriculture because so much of our land and resources is tied up in feeding livestock

More fertile land is used for "agriculture" than is left wild and for the human population. So "agriculture" is the leading of species extinction
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

settle down, nancy

i wasn’t disagreeing with you
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

That'll do the trick!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:16 pm
I'm not sure I get the point. This is not helping anyone's cause.
Broham
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

wtf are they doing? Who got together and said these were good ideas. I am against hammers..so im going to destroy a vacuum.

What's next? An egg thrown at the statue of liberty or something? I know at least 52 people would be on board with following that kinda action.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

The activist who threw soup on a van Gogh says it's the planet that's being destroyed

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

on one hand, I can get the point, about not being sure whether this is helping anyone's cause.

but on the other hand, which really got more attention:

these folks throwing soup on famous paintings, or the dood who self-immolated on the Scotus steps?

and if you aren't familiar with the dood who self-immolated on the Scotus steps, there's your answer.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

But the attention isn't valuable.
I'd argue it could be doing the reverse for the average world citizen.

I'm certainly not going to click on that NPR clip and hear about what that person thinks and i'm a major advocate for pushing for/putting money into clean/resuable energy.

And if I already think climate change is a serious issue, and these people damaging art just makes me mad and not want to support/listen to their bullshit, then what does it do to someone who is on the fence whether climate change is real?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

It mostly just tells me that today's young activists are not very good at figuring out how to protest productively yet. They're young and trying so hats off to them.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

the self-immolator was like 50 btw.

what DOES constitute a productive protest, though?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

global cooperation or collective suicide

smfh…
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

oh that'll do it. That should make it all better now. Good job Rainn. Maybe he can throw something at a one of a kind, irreplaceable piece of art next.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

her spelling is on point and everything!

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If only there wuz some ideology that directly addresses climate change as a core tenet, rejecting infinite consumption and token performative gestures in favor of rethinking entire systems to focus on sustainability and conservation.

If only there wuz!