Facebook, Google, et al

Coffee talk.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Facebook, Google, et al

Post by pdub »

I'm gathering it's because the people he follows on Twitter think so.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:31 am Why does Twitter need 'stepping in'?
just ask Elon...

...if you can figure out which Elon is really him.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So, no real answer?
Got it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If you have to ask, spend a few minutes researching and educating yourself - if you care.
My guess is you won't because you don't really care. Am I right?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:57 am So, no real answer?
Of course not.

He asks hundreds of questions per day. Then, when others respond or ask questions, he just asks more questions.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:59 am If you have to ask, spend a few minutes researching and educating yourself - if you care.
Is this an homage to gutter?

Also, if not, whatever research and education you're suggesting likely comes with a subjective angle here, as Twitter, and the way it's policed/moderated, is so very much in the subjective spectrum. There isn't objective research and education really when it comes to this. So basically what I asked was your opinion of why the government should step in as there is no actual objective answer. ( and then my response to your opinion would likely be, does the majority of America think the government should step in, and i'd argue, objectively, no )
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea lol. straight up copy and pasted the gutman.

but yea dude, sorry if I was too CoyDC about that.

if you really would like an explanation why twitter may need "stepping in," please consider not my questions, but Senator Markey's.

Assuming this is even the real Senator Markey...

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd argue that the reaction now needs to be, stop trusting Twitter sources as your means of legitimate information, instead of letting the government dictate how Twitter should run their business.

I'm gathering CoyDC isn't actually DC.
Should the government step in and police kcrim?
StayCurious

Post by StayCurious »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:59 am
If you have to ask, spend a few minutes researching and educating yourself - if you care.
I've seen the "he allows hate speech" thing, but that's not a valid criticism. Other than that, nothing.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:18 am I'd argue that the reaction now needs to be, stop trusting Twitter sources as your means of legitimate information, instead of letting the government dictate how Twitter should run their business.

I'm gathering CoyDC isn't actually DC.
Should the government step in and police kcrim?
CoyDC isn't actually DC...but where did you get THAT idea?! *smiles alluringly*

for real tho if I give you 8 dollars will you give me the verified username RealPDub?

but yea, if we really are gonna advocate for the free market approach, I'm all for "stop trusting Twitter sources as your means of legitimate information," and just sit back and watch the exodus as Musk looses his pants.

But I imagine there might be collateral damage along the way.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I guess that's a thought - that it's prob in Musk's best interests to actually get Twitter reigned in. He's got some serious issues on his platform, with disinformation and hate speech and verification checkmarks and such, and big ad money bailing cuz of it.

I can only imagine a more credible twitter is a more profitable twitter, right?

If he doesn't get ahead of these issues in some sincere and proactive way, who knows.

Or, do we give Musk the benefit of the doubt, and assume he's not just some snarky asshole giving in to every knee-jerk impulse, but is really some stable genius playing 5D chess about it right now, and ask: maybe he's banking on the idea that the "Wild West of social media" is precisely what the free market wants?

I imagine Zuck, of all people, might caution against that, tho.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"I guess that's a thought - that it's prob in Musk's best interests to actually get Twitter reigned in...I can only imagine a more credible twitter is a more profitable twitter, right?"

Yes.
Or maybe not 'reigned in' but settled with a clear goal in sight.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea.

That’s all Fake Senator Markey’s questions seem to ask.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

StayCurious wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:21 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:59 am
I've seen the "he allows hate speech" thing, but that's not a valid criticism. Other than that, nothing.
Are you only referring to him in regards to his owning Twitter or him in his entirety?
There is plenty of valid criticism in regards to him outside of Twitter.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:31 am Why does Twitter need 'stepping in'?
At one level, how is the ability to create “verified” account in another person’s name different than identity theft? We normally associate identity theft with financial crimes but how is this any different? What in Markey’s question below is wrong? Shouldn’t someone hold Twitter and Musk accountable?

A @washingtonpost reporter was able to create a verified account impersonating me—I’m asking for answers from @elonmusk who is putting profits over people and his debt over stopping disinformation. Twitter must explain how this happened and how to prevent it from happening again.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

the problem isn't twitter. The problem is Twitter users and people who trust Twitter.

this is easily solvable without the government.

don't use Twitter, dont trust Twitter. assume Twitter is a hilarously unfunny joke and a meme market....because...it is.
Just Ledoux it
StayCurious

Post by StayCurious »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:45 am Are you only referring to him in regards to his owning Twitter or him in his entirety?
There is plenty of valid criticism in regards to him outside of Twitter.
I thought we were talking about the Twitter context.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Is there potential for things like fraud?

And potential for Twitter to get their asses sued off.

I mean, that insulin company lost their butts over Twitter verifying a fake account in their name, right?

Oh and btw: the outrage to take away from that story isn’t that someone successfully faked their account which subsequently tanked their stock, but that that company was price gouging insulin in the first place.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

that's what social medias is all about. a collection of malcontents flinging the poo at each other. the scuzzier the better.

this is social medias fulfilling its' intended purpose.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

you're the last social medias character that should be in favor of cleaning up misinformation.