Facebook, Google, et al

Coffee talk.
zsn
Contributor

Re: Facebook, Google, et al

Post by zsn »

TDub wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:54 am the problem isn't twitter. The problem is Twitter users and people who trust Twitter.

this is easily solvable without the government.

don't use Twitter, dont trust Twitter. assume Twitter is a hilarously unfunny joke and a meme market....because...it is.
I don’t disagree. I don’t have a Twitter account, never had, never will. Haven’t used my Facebook account in nearly two years. However, what is my recourse when someone impersonates me on Twitter and posts untrue or slanderous messages? The government stepped in and has regulated the financial markets from ignoring identity theft. Why shouldn’t they require social media platforms to do this?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

take it from me. people ain't lining up to impersonate you. you have nothing to worry aboiut.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

zsn wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:52 am
TDub wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:54 am the problem isn't twitter. The problem is Twitter users and people who trust Twitter.

this is easily solvable without the government.

don't use Twitter, dont trust Twitter. assume Twitter is a hilarously unfunny joke and a meme market....because...it is.
I don’t disagree. I don’t have a Twitter account, never had, never will. Haven’t used my Facebook account in nearly two years. However, what is my recourse when someone impersonates me on Twitter and posts untrue or slanderous messages? The government stepped in and has regulated the financial markets from ignoring identity theft. Why shouldn’t they require social media platforms to do this?
if we, the collective we, quit trusting dumbass social media content providers and attention seeking miscreants, we wouldn't have to worry about it at all. That isn't the governments realm or problem.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

The changes to blue check mark haven't made it any easier for us regular folks to be impersonated.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

impersonation is the sincerest form of flattery.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

did Elon just invent verification badges?

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

hows that changing the world going?
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

is there naked chicks on tweeter. cause that's the only way i am tuning in.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

oh jeez mich, what next, naked chicks on the rest of the internet too?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Twitter employees quit in droves after Elon Musk's ultimatum passes

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

whoa, so the link to npr dot org will embiid, but not a tweet.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Extremely hardcore. What a complete buffoon.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Going to be very interesting to see what happens here. Everyone is acting like Twitter is just going to break. I really don't think that's going to happen.

Twitter was a growth company. As such most of their people were working on future initiatives. It doesn't take much effort to keep working things working. The pain of not maintaining something isn't felt until a couple years down the road when you want to change something and realize you haven't touched the code or infrastructure in a long time and everything has been deprecated.

My guess on what happens:
Twitter keeps running fine.
Twitter becomes profitable. They don't do anything really new, they just are making money because they cut payroll so much.
Everyone misinterprets this to mean all tech companies are bloated and start cutting staff in half.
Tech growth in the whole country (maybe world?) slows considerably because everyone is just going for instant profitability over growth.

Earnings rise, innovation stagnates... And my job security goes away.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

That's really stupid
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

More evidence that people don't have a clue about how shit works. "Libertarian." LOL
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

apparently, the entire payroll team is included in those who just resigned

:lol:
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
StayCurious

Post by StayCurious »

I would rejoice if there were no more Twitter, but we aren't that lucky. Sure, it will take a while to get things organized, but it was a mess well before Elon took over.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I also saw an unverified account from a newly former Twitter employee that the biggest reason they were jumping ship was the overall lack of vision or direction being exhibited. They’re being given these ultimatums and blind loyalty tests and stuff, without even making plans or articulating to employees what to actually expect going forward.

And, short of going full Randy about it, mjl’s post made me wonder just how many positions at how many companies are the result of being “bloated,” the laying off of which results in mostly just becoming “profitable.”

But mjl also suggests such layoffs are more about short-term profits than long-term growth, and may stagnate innovation.
Last edited by ousdahl on Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.