2022-2023 Lineup

Kansas Basketball.
Mjl

Re: 2022-2023 Lineup

Post by Mjl »

randylahey wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:34 am
Mjl wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:52 am Zuby has a lot of Thomas Robinson in him.

Interesting that Clemence was a factor in the last Champion's Classic and didn't get off the bench in this one despite younger competition. I think his Kansas career ended last game when they ran that set play to Iso for him, clearing out an entire side of the floor to get him 1 on 1 at top of key against their slow-ass big dude. He made a jab step and launched (and clanked) a three. His value is supposed to be his ability to stretch the defense and score. If he can't do that against NDSU, he can't do it against better opposition.
People keep comparing zuby to jamari. I like the trob comparison more
I stole that comparison from Norm Roberts
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:31 am
KUTradition wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:21 amBobby didn’t do a lot last night, but he’s been head and shoulders above Yes so far when it comes to getting his teammates involved and getting them the ball in positions to score
Well, again, they're not playing the same position and we're asking different things from them. If Pettiford couldn't play PG, they'd both be in jeopardy of being benchwarmers behind Rice. Thankfully, one of them can be Dajuan's spell.
i get that, but that doesn’t seem to be the way the discussion is going

i don’t think Yes has much of a role once MJ gets healthy precisely because he isn’t directly competing with Bobby for minutes
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Yesefus defense has been a lot better this year tho. Hustling for loose balls diving on the floor. Getting a few steals.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:34 am I am not seeing all these mistakes with him any more than I do with any of our other bigs or any of their deficiencies.

What I do see is legit size that covers a lot of ground and can help to bridge the gap while he learns to hedge/rotate/ball screen defense.
I also see the latter, but the former is way obvious and I'm hardly the only fan to notice. Wouldn't be shocked to start hearing it from Norm/Bill. The circumstantial evidence was going with Zuby last night--whom other than Wilson, is probably the best defensive rebounder on the team.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:30 am +/- is the most useless stat in basketball.
Maybe the most useless stat of all sports.
It's like randys ancient civilization show.
Udeh's +/- wasn't helped by the fact he checked in for the first time with KU up 9 points.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't think it's "way" obvious in your somewhat weird campaign against big men.
He definitely got lost a couple times out there.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:45 am
pdub wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:30 am +/- is the most useless stat in basketball.
Maybe the most useless stat of all sports.
It's like randys ancient civilization show.
Udeh's +/- wasn't helped by the fact he checked in for the first time with KU up 9 points.
Nor was it helped by the fact a large part of it came with Pettiford and Yesufu in.
It's a terrible stat.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

around the 9 minute mark of the first half. things got a little sloppy and discombobulated. but we were up 9 or 10 at the time. it was good time to get the starters a breather.

for a youth hockey defenseman, +/- is a big stat.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That said, KJ, at the moment, is still the better defender at the 5, despite his limitations ( you could see his limitations when the unathletic Northwestern transfer scored over him one on one - not to mention the complete poster in the 2nd half ).

He makes up for that in knowing the system and stickiness to his man.
Had a great play where he caught up to his man and dove for a steal and kept the ball in.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I wonder how much we'll see KJ be anywhere besides the "5" spot going forward.

Yea we could play him on the wing some/alongside a more proper big, but that also means a less offensive lineup, especially if KJ's spelling Jalen and/or Gradey.

But more likely, we'll get Yes/Bobby/Rice as perimeter reserves, as all those doods prob bring more offensive potential than KJ, unless there's some situational lineup that KJ might work better?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Feels like pettiford and yesefu play together midway through the 1st half. And we get noticeably quicker. But yesefu has got to hit shots for that duo to work. Cause pettiford isn't even gonna take any shots from outside
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea, Yes seems to have a red-headed stepchild feel, especially if/when his shots aren't falling.

We've seen hardly any MJ rice, but it already seems like he'll compete for the minutes awarded to the wing off the bench role.

Unless it's some similarly super small lineup, I just dunno how much good can come from playing multiple small guards at once, especially if none of those small guards are hitting shots.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:10 am That said, KJ, at the moment, is still the better defender at the 5, despite his limitations
Agree. For now.

Although I'd maybe argue, especially with Zuby possibly starting to emerge as a 3rd playable big, that for rotational continuity that maybe starting Udeh helps with creating more options from the bench. KJ can come in for any of the 2-5 starters (KM and/or JW slide down if KJ is the 4). Udeh can only come in for KJ.

We need Rice to be another playable wing.

I am encouraged that we don't look awful with DH and BP in there together. Because that combo makes me uncomfortable due to lack of shooting (especially if KM is also in).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm all in on Udeh being our starting 5 come February.
I think our team is at its best if that happens.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

^^^
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:38 am I'm all in on Udeh being our starting 5 come February.
I think our team is at its best if that happens.
Goal of the season is to get udeh ready by then. We need it
Deleted User 863

Either way, KJ (and Zuby at times) will be needed at the 5 also.

I don't really have any desire to see KJ at the 4 due to his lack of shooting, but his defense is an asset that makes him playable.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

And ill take that a step further and say the goal is to get udeh and zuby ready to play all the minutes at the 5. Except rare situational lineups with KJ
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I'm OK with keeping KJ as starting 5, unless/until we find ourselves constantly getting burned because of it otherwise.

but we just went toe-to-toe with one of the biggest teams in the country and still came out on top.

but yea, our ceiling is getting Udeh up to speed. Does Udeh have OAD potential? I mean, he's big...

And yea, not much was expected of Zuby coming in this year, but he's 6'9" with a body, and seems stronger and more comfortable than your average freshy. If we can't not give him minutes, that's not a bad problem to have.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:44 am I'm OK with keeping KJ as starting 5, unless/until we find ourselves constantly getting burned because of it otherwise.

but we just went toe-to-toe with one of the biggest teams in the country and still came out on top.

but yea, our ceiling is getting Udeh up to speed. Does Udeh have OAD potential? I mean, he's big...

And yea, not much was expected of Zuby coming in this year, but he's 6'9" with a body, and seems stronger and more comfortable than your average freshy. If we can't not give him minutes, that's not a bad problem to have.
I'm hoping udeh lack of skills bring him back to college next year. He's big.. but not my NBA standards. Just another athletic body.

Zuby is quietly becoming one of my favorites. Hes got tools. He makes a lot of mistakes right now. But he hustles and is big and athletic. Hopefully he continues to play a little and keep learning as a freshman. Cause he's gonna be a beasttt further down the road