2022-2023 Lineup

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: 2022-2023 Lineup

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:05 pm I mean, in what world did anyone think Remy Martin was going to come in and score 19 PPG?

McCullar's production was never going to be a worry, here. And his efficiency will improve even more once he gets more reps with this system and these teammates.

We've had a lot of successful transfers.
McCullar can potentially return for next season too, right?

I don't see the NBA potential for him to leave for anything other than overseas or G league. NIL compensation has to be similar to those two options I'd imagine.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:08 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:05 pm I mean, in what world did anyone think Remy Martin was going to come in and score 19 PPG?

McCullar's production was never going to be a worry, here. And his efficiency will improve even more once he gets more reps with this system and these teammates.

The people that voted him Preseason Big 12 POY
Gah, that was always a bad vote. Self's comments all summer were about trying to turn him into a little bit of a different player. Still, 19 PPG should have been way higher than even their expectations. Didn't make sense with the personnel on the team.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:09 pm

McCullar can potentially return for next season too, right?

I don't see the NBA potential for him to leave for anything other than overseas or G league. NIL compensation has to be similar to those two options I'd imagine.
He's still projected 2nd round by both Draft Express and The Athletic. If he's anywhere close to that, he probably leaves. I'd be ecstatic if just one of he or Jalen return (along with Dick, of course).
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Remy went from 19ppg to 8
Yes went from 12ppg to 3
JCL went from 14ppg to 3
Moss went from 9.2 and 1.8 assists to 7.9 and .6

So to see Mc so far pretty much picking up where he left off, even increasing defensive/rebound numbers, seems like a good thing. For a split second I thought he'd show up and look like he needed a learning curve, and/or borderline unplayable, like other recent transfers.

Mc, like Moss (for much of the year), gets the benefit of starter minutes too.

Are there other transfers worth mentioning? Whether they had to sit out a year has some bearing too. Guys like Newman and Dedric showed consistent/improved numbers upon arrival, but also had the benefit of getting to know the system as a redshirt.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:10 pm

Gah, that was always a bad vote. Self's comments all summer were about trying to turn him into a little bit of a different player. Still, 19 PPG should have been way higher than even their expectations. Didn't make sense with the personnel on the team.
yea 19 seems high, but that's all preseason stuff. Voters then didn't necessarily realize CB and Och would suddenly combine for 10+ more ppg than the previous year. And that was when no one anticipated Remy being out for so much of the year. Last November no one was really expecting Dajuan to play the majority of the minutes at the 1 yet either way.

But yea, this time last year I was commenting "turning Remy into a PG could be Self's magnum opus." But, turns out we didn't even need him to be a PG, so much as we just needed him to just go get us buckets.

and even if Remy wasn't or isn't a pure PG, he was still one of the more dynamic options we've ever had at the 1. and I know coaches tend to value the pure PG types more than the scorers, but to that all I have to say is, thank the lord our championship ambitions didn't come down to hoping Dajuan Harris could hit a bunch of step back 3s in April.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:27 pm Remy was still one of the more dynamic options we've ever had at the 1.
In no order I'd put him behind all of:

Frank
Devonte
Sherron
Dotson

And maybe even Tyshawn.

So, when you think about Remy, and who we have had at the 1 at KU under Self, he isn't more dynamic than those guys. Which covers most of the Self era.

This is also part of the reason why DH makes a lot of people uncomfortable. We are used to having AA guys at PG.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I don't know what "dynamic" means in this context, but if I need a bucket in the halfcourt, then Remy over Dotson and Tyshawn pretty easily. Finishing in transition, give me the other 2 pretty easily.

What made Remy such a great pickup is that he provided something the team desperately needed and didn't have. It's also one of several things that this 2023 team needs.
Deleted User 863

Remy was/is a unqiue player. I don't think he's good enough to be the 1st or 2nd best player on a final 4 caliber team. But he was awesome in streches as our 5th or 6th best player.

We definitely need him this year.

And Dave.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:05 pm Gah, that was always a bad vote.
Eye roll here.
You were early on board with Remy being our best guy ( Remy szn ).
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Older transfers having their numbers drop off is a feature, not a bug. It's because they're surrounded by better talent at Kansas than wherever they were.

Younger transfers, like Withey and Newman, are different.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:34 pm Older transfers having their numbers drop off is a feature, not a bug. It's because they're surrounded by better talent at Kansas than wherever they were.

Correct. They almost always take a step or two or three down in role. And pretty much all of ours have with the exception of maybe Dedric.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:49 pm
Mjl wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:34 pm Older transfers having their numbers drop off is a feature, not a bug. It's because they're surrounded by better talent at Kansas than wherever they were.

Correct. They almost always take a step or two or three down in role. And pretty much all of ours have with the exception of maybe Dedric.
Right, and that wasn't necessarily a good thing, it says something about our offense that season.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:01 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:49 pm

Right, and that wasn't necessarily a good thing, it says something about our offense that season.
I used "maybe" only because of the caveats of the Udoka injury and Vick disaster, but I agree with you.

It just seems very unlikely that Kansas will ever get a major contributor transfer from an equal or better program. There are so few of those type of programs anyway.

McCullar would be the closest. Tech finished KenPom 7 with #12 SOS last season. We're not going to get a lot of transfers from those type of teams/programs. He's plug and play because he's been asked to play the same role after playing on a Top 10 team, playing against a monster schedule.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

paywall article in KC star seems to indicate that Cam has been injured, but will be available shortly

edit: not paywall

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... 59132.html

… “(He could) possibly play against Missouri (on Dec. 10 in Columbia),” Self said. “That would be a goal. Indiana would probably be more a definite if he does not have a setback,” Self added.

“He (doctor) said it’s one of those situations you can’t put a timetable (on it). Everybody reacts differently; it could be three to four weeks, could be six to eight. I hope my body reacts to it well and hopefully am ready to go soon,” Martin said at the KU players’ Ladies Night Out NIL event on Oct. 26.

Martin at that time said he was hurt when he fell on his shoulder after trying to block a shot by freshman forward Ernest Udeh with both hands during some 1-on-1 time…

other injury updates also included
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Anyone else think we could be in for a dogfight tomorrow night?

McCullar hopefully playing.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I could see it. First to 60 or whatever.

Have we ever dealt with this mang injuries this early, or all at once?

Cam, Bobby, MJ, Mc, Zach all been affected.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Get them out of the way right now, hopefully.

Haven't seen them play yet, but the Hall on paper don't look much worse than Wisconsin. I think Holloway could become a pretty damn good coach.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I would love to see a forum where at the end of the season, preseason voters are asked to review their selections. Make it a panel that all sits around and makes fun of each other for their bad takes.

Preseason voting for most everything in college hoops sucks pretty bad.
digitalkookie

Post by digitalkookie »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:37 am Anyone else think we could be in for a dogfight tomorrow night?
They lost to Sienna 60-55 the other night...for whatever that's worth
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

digitalkookie wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:10 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:37 am Anyone else think we could be in for a dogfight tomorrow night?
They lost to Sienna 60-55 the other night...for whatever that's worth
And then, on top of that, MIZZOU looks to be pretty good, and we gotta go Colombia for our first road game?