Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: Southern TX vs KU game thread

Post by ousdahl »

damn.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Love ya ous. Agree with you in scratching my head abbot Bill Self’s pets being guys that can’t shoot. They almost always are. It’s weird.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:53 am Post first, then take cocaine.
🤣🤣🤣
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:06 am Love ya ous. Agree with you in scratching my head abbot Bill Self’s pets being guys that can’t shoot. They almost always are. It’s weird.
lol thanks. Love you too bro. Almost as much as Self loves a guard who can’t shoot.

At the risk of sounding like a tabloid headline, I wonder would the PG minutes distributor would have looked like had Remy stayed healthy all last year
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:06 am Love ya ous. Agree with you in scratching my head abbot Bill Self’s pets being guys that can’t shoot. They almost always are. It’s weird.
Are we considering DH a pet, but not counting Sherron Frank Devonte? Those 3 were "pets" and all could shoot.

This is silly. Whenever someone doesn't like the skillset someone brings who plays more minutes than they (incorrectly) think they should they get called a Self pet. DH, Mitch, the list goes on. The real Self pets have been Frank Sherron and Devonte moreso than DH.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:10 am
lol thanks. Love you too bro. Almost as much as Self loves a guard who can’t shoot.

At the risk of sounding like a tabloid headline, I wonder would the PG minutes distributor would have looked like had Remy stayed healthy all last year
Not much different imo. Remy would have played more alongside him, maybe, though.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:11 am
Are we considering DH a pet, but not counting Sherron Frank Devonte? Those 3 were "pets" and all could shoot.

This is silly. Whenever someone doesn't like the skillset someone brings who plays more minutes than they (incorrectly) think they should they get called a Self pet. DH, Mitch, the list goes on. The real Self pets have been Frank Sherron and Devonte moreso than DH.
There’s definitely some truth to that and I almost mentioned mason and graham.

We’ve just had guys like Russ, Brady, Garrett, and Dajuan that received so much more run and a longer leash than the skillset probably deserved. At times to our detriment.

It’s absolutely Bill’s coaching style. A lot of other coaches have different philosophies when handling their more talented but more mistake-prone players. Neither right nor wrong. Look like a genius when it works and an idiot when it doesn’t.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

maybe it was cuz I was at KU at the time or something, but I never remember feeling like Russ made our ceiling any lower. Dude never passed up shots, and was at least a serviceable scorer, even on rosters that didn't need scoring as much as we do now. He never looked physically overwhelmed, either. Dude had a good 30+ pounds of solid muscle on Dajuan.

Garrett, I dunno. I always liked him, and he was such a defensive weapon and X factor off the ball, but prob left a less-than-savory taste in a lot of fan's mouths after how 21 went with him in the driver seat. I still can't help but wonder if his problem was chicken and egg; if he woulda looked like a better PG with a more consistent lineup surrounding him, but all moot.

But didn't Garrett at least show some improvement with his jumper by his 4th year here? It still kinda looked weird, but I remember feeling like he at least got good enough he wouldn't hesitate to shoot if left open.

That's what I'm hoping for outta Dajuan.

And while I'm optimistic for Bobby, so far he also just kinda looks like Dajuan 2.0. Maybe a touch quicker and stronger, but less wingspan. Either way, it'd be great if he could exhibit a knack for buckets (and for staying healthy in the first place)

Now, the other side of that coin - guys with gobs of talent, but got the short leash treatment despite...
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Deleted User 863

RussRob gets remembered for being senior RussRob. And that's okay. He was a crowd favorite and is certainly one of mine. But there were 3 years of RussRob before senior RussRob.

Champions get remembered differently. As they should.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

oh shoot, I thought I added it, but yea, Face Ass is the archetypal guy for this discussion.

so much more run and longer leash than the skillset deserved.

And to our detriment, too. Heck, rumor has it that Shaka still calls Brady and thanks him for his coaching career lasting this long.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:40 am But didn't Garrett at least show some improvement with his jumper by his 4th year here? It still kinda looked weird, but I remember feeling like he at least got good enough he wouldn't hesitate to shoot if left open.

Garrett shot 23/66 (34.8%) from 3pt his senior year.

DH shot 20/62 (32.3%) from 3pt last year. His sophomore year. He's 4/11 (36.4%) from 3pt this year.

Dajuan Harris is a 37.9% 3pt shooter for his career at KU.

Marcus Garrett was a 30.2% 3pt shooter for his career at KU.

Your bias is showing.
Deleted User 863

And RussRob was a career 32.4% 3pt shooter at KU.

My goodness. Do actual stats not matter?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

illy, just a friendly PSA, but there's no use in you bothering to quote me.

it almost sucks, cuz at least on the hoops bored, I really do wanna give you the benefit of the doubt that you're just talking hoops.

But you loose the benefit of the doubt, cuz even if you're talking hoops, I don't think you're JUST talking hoops, and not also douching it up to boot, are ya?
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:55 am illy, just a friendly PSA, but there's no use in you bothering to quote me.

it almost sucks, cuz at least on the hoops bored, I really do wanna give you the benefit of the doubt that you're just talking hoops.

But you loose the benefit of the doubt, cuz even if you're talking hoops, I don't think you're JUST talking hoops, and not also douching it up to boot, are ya?
Those posts weren't too douchey, but I can't make any promises.
Deleted User 863

Oh, and friendly PSA Q: I'll quote whatever I want as long as I am able to do so.

All while tearing your ridiculous made up narratives apart with actual stats.

Most of your basketball takes are even worse than your global current events takes.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:40 am maybe it was cuz I was at KU at the time or something, but I never remember feeling like Russ made our ceiling any lower. Dude never passed up shots, and was at least a serviceable scorer, even on rosters that didn't need scoring as much as we do now. He never looked physically overwhelmed, either. Dude had a good 30+ pounds of solid muscle on Dajuan.

Garrett, I dunno. I always liked him, and he was such a defensive weapon and X factor off the ball, but prob left a less-than-savory taste in a lot of fan's mouths after how 21 went with him in the driver seat. I still can't help but wonder if his problem was chicken and egg; if he woulda looked like a better PG with a more consistent lineup surrounding him, but all moot.

But didn't Garrett at least show some improvement with his jumper by his 4th year here? It still kinda looked weird, but I remember feeling like he at least got good enough he wouldn't hesitate to shoot if left open.

And while I'm optimistic for Bobby, so far he also just kinda looks like Dajuan 2.0. Maybe a touch quicker and stronger, but less wingspan. Either way, it'd be great if he could exhibit a knack for buckets (and for staying healthy in the first place)

Now, the other side of that coin - guys with gobs of talent, but got the short leash treatment despite...
2008 was a different era of ball and Self was also different, so agree that Russ's limitations probably weren't as noticeable or as big of a factor back then. Nearly every team, including us, played for the 2 pointer. But, there were many KU fans that screamed for Sherron to start over him the second Sherron got on campus. And we did go with Sherron down the stretch in 2008, kind of like when Remy got healthy.

Russ, Garrett, Dotson, Dajuan, Bobby - none of those guys were/are anywhere close to 3 point threats. Defenses played them way differently than Frank and Devonte for a reason. There's no way to mental gymnastic around it.
Deleted User 863

Dotson shot 128 3s his sophomore year (that got cut a handful of games short) and was a consensus AA.

Grouping him in with RussRob Garrett DH and BP is wild to me. He averaged 18pts a game.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yeah, probably a little unfair to Dotson. Was definitely not a good 3 point shooter, but Self was in his ear about taking them when he had any look. Needed it from him to balance out the heavy paint scoring influence in the half court offense that season.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea, you kinda need to shoot to be elite (AA) material.

Devon was unique among all those other guys tho, in that he might have legit been the fastest dood in the country.

there's other metrics we could consider tho too. For example, playing for the 2 pointer. Pretty much all our starting PGs could get to the rim. Maybe not Garrett so much, but I think I'd still have more confidence in Garrett getting a bucket off the bounce than Dajuan.

orrr...free throws! (it may be better to break down individual season numbers but let's just go with career for now)

Dotson: 4.8 FTA
Garrett: 2.3
Russ: 2.8
BIFM: 4.4
Graham: 3.2
Sherron: 3.0
Tyshawn 3.5

Dajuan: 0.6