Southern TX vs KU game thread

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: Southern TX vs KU game thread

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:12 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:10 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:06 am Love ya ous. Agree with you in scratching my head abbot Bill Self’s pets being guys that can’t shoot. They almost always are. It’s weird.
lol thanks. Love you too bro. Almost as much as Self loves a guard who can’t shoot.

At the risk of sounding like a tabloid headline, I wonder would the PG minutes distributor would have looked like had Remy stayed healthy all last year
Not much different imo. Remy would have played more alongside him, maybe, though.
is that an argument that Remy was more of a 2-guard?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:50 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:40 am But didn't Garrett at least show some improvement with his jumper by his 4th year here? It still kinda looked weird, but I remember feeling like he at least got good enough he wouldn't hesitate to shoot if left open.

That's what I'm hoping for outta Dajuan.
Garrett shot 23/66 (34.8%) from 3pt his senior year.

DH shot 20/62 (32.3%) from 3pt last year. His sophomore year. He's 4/11 (36.4%) from 3pt this year.

Dajuan Harris is a 37.9% 3pt shooter for his career at KU.

Marcus Garrett was a 30.2% 3pt shooter for his career at KU.

Your bias is showing.
Garrett also averaged 11ppg his senior/4th year in the program.

If we got double digit averages outta Dajuan this year, I'd be thrilled.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:51 am And RussRob was a career 32.4% 3pt shooter at KU.

My goodness. Do actual stats not matter?
yea, 32.4%...on 296 attempts.

If we got that outta Dajuan, again, be thrilled.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:45 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:12 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:10 am

lol thanks. Love you too bro. Almost as much as Self loves a guard who can’t shoot.

At the risk of sounding like a tabloid headline, I wonder would the PG minutes distributor would have looked like had Remy stayed healthy all last year
Not much different imo. Remy would have played more alongside him, maybe, though.
is that an argument that Remy was more of a 2-guard?
No.

That's an argument that he'd have played more alongside DH if he was healthy. Our rotation was very defined. An increase in his minutes wouldn't have necessarily resulted in a mirror reduction of DHs.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:49 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:51 am And RussRob was a career 32.4% 3pt shooter at KU.

My goodness. Do actual stats not matter?
yea, 32.4%...on 296 attempts.

If we got that outta Dajuan, again, be thrilled.
So we "need" volume out of DH?

My goodness it is windy in here, these goalposts are swaying all over the place.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:46 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:50 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:40 am But didn't Garrett at least show some improvement with his jumper by his 4th year here? It still kinda looked weird, but I remember feeling like he at least got good enough he wouldn't hesitate to shoot if left open.

That's what I'm hoping for outta Dajuan.
Garrett shot 23/66 (34.8%) from 3pt his senior year.

DH shot 20/62 (32.3%) from 3pt last year. His sophomore year. He's 4/11 (36.4%) from 3pt this year.

Dajuan Harris is a 37.9% 3pt shooter for his career at KU.

Marcus Garrett was a 30.2% 3pt shooter for his career at KU.

Your bias is showing.
Garrett also averaged 11ppg his senior/4th year in the program.

If we got double digit averages outta Dajuan this year, I'd be thrilled.
It depends, but most likely I would not be thrilled at all.

Dajuan's a way better lead/point guard than Garrett. He makes the offense way more efficient than Garrett could on the ball. His job is to get the rest of the team easy baskets, something Garrett could never do and a big reason why the offense was so bad in 21. If this particular team needs Dajuan to score double digits, then something has gone really wrong with Jalen and Gradey, and then we are truly fucked.
Deleted User 863

Everyone wants a senior Frank Mason every single year. Unfortunately, senior Frank Masons are rare.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:06 am Love ya ous. Agree with you in scratching my head abbot Bill Self’s pets being guys that can’t shoot. They almost always are. It’s weird.
I'm sure self wishes they could shoot also.

Maybe the common theme is guys that take care of the ball, can run a team, play high level defense AND shoot dont stay in college

So self gets stuck with the floor generals that can't shoot. Cause they get stuck in college for 4 years. Long enough to learn to excel in his system. And self needs/values all the other things
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

hold on...is Ous suggesting he'd rather have Garrett at point than Dajuan?

my goodness.
Just Ledoux it
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:59 am Everyone wants a senior Frank Mason every single year. Unfortunately, senior Frank Masons are rare.
It's what everyone here wants Bobby to be. They want Bobby to be a senior Frank Mason when he gets to there. He won't be close.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:17 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:59 am Everyone wants a senior Frank Mason every single year. Unfortunately, senior Frank Masons are rare.
It's what everyone here wants Bobby to be. They want Bobby to be a senior Frank Mason when he gets to there. He won't be close.
I actually don't think Bobby was that far behind Frank as a freshman. Frank later tremendously improved his jumper, particularly off the bounce. Both better in transition than half court as frosh and played that "bulldog" style.

But, Bobby has the health issues and in year 2, he's definitely not trending to being anywhere close to where Frank was as a shooter. Frank was also a little more of a gamer at the same age and then obviously turned into an all-timer in that aspect.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Bobby is never gonna be frank. Frank came on strong as a sophomore. Frank could shoot

Self never should've called Bobby the "next great guard" before his freshman year
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:20 pm
I actually don't think Bobby was that far behind Frank as a freshman. Frank later tremendously improved his jumper, particularly off the bounce. Both better in transition than half court as frosh and played that "bulldog" style.

But, Bobby has the health issues and in year 2, he's definitely not trending to being anywhere close to where Frank was as a shooter. Frank was also a little more of a gamer at the same age and then obviously turned into an all-timer in that aspect.
Bobby was unplayable as a freshman. He had some injury set backs and stuff. But he literally wasn't in the rotation at the end of the year

The pettiford/frank Mason comparisons should stop now
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

maybe that's it.

All stats aside, maybe I just wish Dajuan at least carried himself like he's some kind of alpha.

And while we don't necessarily need Dajuan specifically to shoot or to score, we need shooting and scoring one way or another regardless.

And Dajuan at least being some kinda threat to shoot, or score, or get to the rim, or draw fouls, or any sort of offense of his own, would open things up for Jalen and Gradey and everybody else.

Otherwise, Jalen and Gradey gotta deal with being over-guarded cuz opposing Ds can sag off Dajuan.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

randylahey wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:10 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:20 pm

Bobby was unplayable as a freshman. He had some injury set backs and stuff. But he literally wasn't in the rotation at the end of the year

The pettiford/frank Mason comparisons should stop now
Bobby was unplayable only after he got hurt and couldn't move. Before the injury, he was more playable than your boy Yes. Take away one or both of Frank's wheels his frosh season and he also would have been unplayable.

There are also zero Bobby/Frank comparisons. They have a couple similar characteristics, but that's it.
Deleted User 863

So far, things Q doesn't like about DH:
-his appearance (whatever that means)
-not an alpha (whatever that means)

Q: how much time have you spent with DH and the rest of the team? Enough to determine whether someone is an "alpha"? Because, to me, that seems like it's awfully hard to determine by occasionally watching Kansas games on TV.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I never said anything about his appearance. That was just you and somebody else arguing with the boogeyman in yer heads.

and, go figure illy doesn't know what it means to be an alpha.

I've watched this team enough to know Dajuan is objectively a career 4 ppg guy, and subjectively just struggles to score, or to be much more than a "defense and passing" kinda guy, and may have strength and conditioning issues too.

It's tough criticism, and high expectations, I know. But the thing is, we're an elite program! I want guys who we can cheer for cuz they're high-production alpha studs, not guys who we have to sit back and make resigned excuses like, "...but at least he takes care of the ball..."

I'm concerned that, as CnB put it, Dajuan may end up "another one of those players who received so much more run and a longer leash than the skillset probably deserved. At times to our detriment."

Of course, at this rate, hopefully my criticism will turn into some reverse juju effect like it did with Haunkey Taunk, and Dajuan will go off, be all-conference, and end up declaring unexpectedly early to go first round to the Denver Nuggets, in which case I'll gladly eat more Crauw.
Deleted User 863

I know what it means to be an alpha.

What I don't know, is how you've determined whether or not DH is an alpha solely by watching him (play basketball) on TV.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 863

DH has won national championships in 50% of his seasons as a starting guard at KU so far (and I am being generous by calling him a starting guard his 1st year where he only started 2 games).
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

this whole thing where people like to use the term alpha...in reference to themselves or others is just so fucking odd. Everytime I hear someone say that I assume they're wearing TapOut gear and beer bonging Monsters and thinking they're gonna get ripped because they're eating whey protein everyday while standing around their home gym but actually doing nothing.

By the way its also rooted in myth...at least in reference to wolves and how they operate.
Just Ledoux it