Re: No One Cares Because Nothing Matters Anymore

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Another "that doesn't even make sense".
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

defixione wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:27 am
TDub wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:59 am that doesnr even make sense....

if they're subletting then the others aren't on the actual lease with the owner. So...he would just have to re-up the lease with the owner as the only signee.....then re-sign his sublettors with new contracts to reflect whatever the new price is....

If they are sublettors they don't need to see the original lease with the tenant as they arent bound by that lease, only by the lease with the tenant they are leasing rooms from.
I hope the head tenant has read his contract with the leaser and has the legal right to sublet. I did that in a loft space in San Francisco and it only lasted about 6 months till I found out I couldn't sublease.
yes.

And that's the issue with it, NOT that he's "overcharging" his sublettors.

IF he is allowed to sublet (which nothing in this cacophony of bullshit gives us any indication either way)....then he is allowed to subketit for whatever price is agreed upon between himself and the others....

bigger point being....the subleasers need never to see his contract with the owner so the knowledge of the total rent is unrelated to his subcontracts and thus the entire premise of the post is moot.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

The person has enough money to be the sole person on the lease for a 5 bedroom house so I think it's a bit of a stretch to say they were "born in a generation that was locked out of the housing market". Having enough money to qualify for a lease so large that you can sublet it to so many people that it covers your own expense is pretty high dollar. I could barely cover my sub-$300 rent at times when I was younger. THAT is what "being locked out of a housing market" actually looks like, not this nonsense.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Moving right along!

So apparently shit’s going down in Atlanta?

Something about cops killing a dood protesting some deforestation down there to make room for a cop training facility. And other protestors arrested on domestic terrorism charges
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:39 pm Moving right along!
Of course.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:55 pm
ousdahl wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:39 pm Moving right along!
Of course.
Par.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Do you guys have a point here orrrr…?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

did you?
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

Please chill

🤣
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:25 pmdid you?
yea, I did. But then I wondered out loud if I should even bother. Guess not.

either way, I really would like to get along. Or, if getting along just isn't an option, at least try to be more civil.

and before anyone shoots back with something like how maybe I've said things that weren't conducive to getting along in the past - I'm trying to move past that, and encourage everyone else to too!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:06 am
TDub wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:25 pmdid you?
yea, I did. But then I wondered out loud if I should even bother. Guess not.

either way, I really would like to get along. Or, if getting along just isn't an option, at least try to be more civil.

and before anyone shoots back with something like how maybe I've said things that weren't conducive to getting along in the past - I'm trying to move past that, and encourage everyone else to too!
honestly asking...."what was it?"

you provided a screenshot of somebody else's post. That post didn't make any sense. A couple people provide reasoning as to why that scenario didn't make any sense. You ignored that and attempted to make some other point which also didn't make sense.

You find these posts that "support" your predetermined position, push them, ignore any evidence to the contrary and ignore any discussion that doesn't align with your predetermined mission snd anyone who speaks to the errors within you consider an asshole.

That style of arriving at a predetermined destination through "research" (or , unvetted memes) is why you are being compared to lobster and randy.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

my point was that the "head tenant" antics are a microcosm for what many landlords do to housing markets in the first place: they squeeze themselves between the housing supply and the housing demand, and manipulate the rates for their own unilateral benefit, without necessarily providing anything of additional market value in doing so.

They're also preventing folks who might be able to just afford as much on their own if there weren't such characters squeezing in between...wouldn't the other tenants prob be better off to just deal directly with the landlord, in this case?

as you and defix pointed out, yea there's some issue of whether he's allowed to sublet. Absent some mention, I got the impression he isn't.

to your point about "subleasers need never to see his contract with the owner so the knowledge of the total rent is unrelated," what if we could apply that principle to the landlord/tenant dynamic as well? What might such transparency do for markets? "well if your mortgage is only $1k a month, then why are you asking $2k in rent?"

twocoach had an interesting point about how if a "head tenant" can qualify for the lease by himself, which again, works as part of the landlord analogy...why do we leave things like the housing market up to those who are already well enough off, but are also the types to expect to get a taste of their own?

And bear in mind, housing isn't some luxury commodity. It's a basic necessity.

those were my points.

but, like I said, I prob shouldn't even bother.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

im not gonna step into that because....theres no reason to.

If you think there should be a cap on rent based on the mortgage being paid on the property then......we aren't going to get there.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:38 am im not gonna step into that because....theres no reason to.

......we aren't going to get there.
TDub wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:19 am

ignore any evidence to the contrary and ignore any discussion that doesn't align with your predetermined mission
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:45 am
TDub wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:38 am im not gonna step into that because....theres no reason to.

......we aren't going to get there.
TDub wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:19 am

ignore any evidence to the contrary and ignore any discussion that doesn't align with your predetermined mission
huh?

I said evidence....

because I disagree with your utopian unrealistic fantasy world doesn't mean I'm ignoring evidence.

lc
As I said.

if your idea is that rent should be capped based on the mortgage paid.....we are never going to agree.

Nothing you cited was anything close to "evidence"
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I suppose we’re once again to the point I knew we were at all along: that I shouldn’t even bother. That’s why I tried to move right along.

Any thoughts on the police shooting and terrorism charges over “cop city” in Goergia?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:32 am my point was that the "head tenant" antics are a microcosm for what many landlords do to housing markets in the first place: they squeeze themselves between the housing supply and the housing demand, and manipulate the rates for their own unilateral benefit, without necessarily providing anything of additional market value in doing so.

They're also preventing folks who might be able to just afford as much on their own if there weren't such characters squeezing in between...wouldn't the other tenants prob be better off to just deal directly with the landlord, in this case?

to your point about "subleasers need never to see his contract with the owner so the knowledge of the total rent is unrelated," what if we could apply that principle to the landlord/tenant dynamic as well? What might such transparency do for markets? "well if your mortgage is only $1k a month, then why are you asking $2k in rent?"

So if you had ever been a landlord you would know one thing. Of the applications I have seen, we have turned down over 50% because we do a credit check and know they are most likely going to not pay rent at some point and move out leaving the place in shambles. Their credit check says so. The person who is signing the lease and subleasing is responsible when his sublessee flakes out and walk on them. So in this instance, they provide a necessary service for the sublessee. They posted credit check bail for them.

With regards to making rent a function of mortgage.....how often do you correct for the balance? Annually, monthly? How do you even get that info and who verifies it? My banker knows me and sees all of my money. They give me a loan for 5% down so as to help me qualify for higher rent charges. A couple of years later I pay the loan off, but I have qualified for higher rent until someone checks again and updates the status.

"prob shouldn't even bother"? Dude, you should "bother" to think about the actual mechanisms/implications of what you propose before you bother to write the thought out.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:32 am my point was that the "head tenant" antics are a microcosm for what many landlords do to housing markets in the first place: they squeeze themselves between the housing supply and the housing demand, and manipulate the rates for their own unilateral benefit, without necessarily providing anything of additional market value in doing so.

as you and defix pointed out, yea there's some issue of whether he's allowed to sublet. Absent some mention, I got the impression he isn't.

twocoach had an interesting point about how if a "head tenant" can qualify for the lease by himself, which again, works as part of the landlord analogy...why do we leave things like the housing market up to those who are already well enough off, but are also the types to expect to get a taste of their own?

And bear in mind, housing isn't some luxury commodity. It's a basic necessity.

those were my points.

I have no idea what sort of legal document the "subleasers" have but do they have any sort of real legal liability when it comes to damage or any sort of legal requirements to provide any sort of notification of termination of the agreement? Being the owner or primary tenant in this particular arrangement seems to have all sorts of liabilities and damage repercussions.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

those poor, oppressed, landlords.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

japhy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:17 am

So if you had ever been a landlord you would know one thing. Of the applications I have seen, we have turned down over 50% because we do a credit check and know they are most likely going to not pay rent at some point and move out leaving the place in shambles. Their credit check says so. The person who is signing the lease and subleasing is responsible when his sublessee flakes out and walk on them. So in this instance, they provide a necessary service for the sublessee. They posted credit check bail for them.

With regards to making rent a function of mortgage.....how often do you correct for the balance? Annually, monthly? How do you even get that info and who verifies it? My banker knows me and sees all of my money. They give me a loan for 5% down so as to help me qualify for higher rent charges. A couple of years later I pay the loan off, but I have qualified for higher rent until someone checks again and updates the status.

"prob shouldn't even bother"? Dude, you should "bother" to think about the actual mechanisms/implications of what you propose before you bother to write the thought out.
OK well if being a landlord is soooo tough, then maybe you prob shouldn't even bother...just sell off your surplus real estate and let somebody else worry about it, then.