2022-23 CBB Season

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: 2022-23 CBB Season

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:54 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:41 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:15 am Apparently their lack of conference challenges doesn't really matter come NCAA Tournament time.
If I am not mistaken, I believe they may have won more NCAA Tournament games (collectively) in the past 7 or 8 tournaments than KU has. Am I right or wrong? I honestly don't know.
1 seeds in the west are fun.
I'd be curious to see if there is anything to this. Do they tend to put weaker 2-8 seeds in the West, making it easier for a #1 seed to advance?
Kansas was a #3 seed in the West in 2021 and got boat raced by USC 85-51. Gonzaga was the #1 seed in the West and beat that same USC team 85-66 to advance to the Final Four. The #2, #3 and #4 seeds in the West that year all failed to even make it out of the 2nd round.
It's just been easier to get the 1 seed in the West over any other region in the past decade or so.

There is also something to Gonzaga blowing out teams at a high efficiency level which increases their advanced metrics. Pomeroy has alluded to his model rating Gonzaga higher than they've performed in the tournaments over the last decade-ish. So they get an easy path to a 1 seed in the west, and then the advanced metrics have them as a high 1 seed, meaning they get a low 2 seed based on S-Curve.

I firmly believe if Gonzaga was in a P5 conference, a lot of those 1 seeds are 2's, 3's, 4's and they'd have years, like this one, where they'd be more of a 5 or 6. No way do they finish 2nd to KU in total tourney wins in that scenario where they're properly seeded. The lack of Final Fours kind of supports that.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

WVU, near the bottom of the league, is a 1 point favorite against 7th-nationally ranked Texas.
This league is nuts.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Mjl wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:29 am WVU, near the bottom of the league, is a 1 point favorite against 7th-nationally ranked Texas.
This league is nuts.
Yep, and to a lesser somewhat surprising (at least to me) degree....

#13 and 5-1 in the league KSU is only favored by 3 at home against 0-6 in the league Texas Tech.
#12 and 5-1 in the league ISU is a pick em (yes - on the road) against 2-4 in the league OSU.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:36 am
Mjl wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:29 am WVU, near the bottom of the league, is a 1 point favorite against 7th-nationally ranked Texas.
This league is nuts.
Yep, and to a lesser somewhat surprising (at least to me) degree....

#13 and 5-1 in the league KSU is only favored by 3 at home against 0-6 in the league Texas Tech.
#12 and 5-1 in the league ISU is a pick em (yes - on the road) against 2-4 in the league OSU.
I'd take that KSU line if I knew how to securely bet on games.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

top-ranked Houston looses at home to unranked Temple
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

poor duke

:lol:
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Really wanted va tech to hit freethrows and avoid overtime

But they steal the inbounds to win it anyway…sweet!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:34 pm
Allegedly someone in the stands actually ordered McDonalds through UberEats.
so many questions!
If he is/was in fact a food delivery guy - how did he get in the arena without a ticket?
How/why did security/ushers not stop him from getting close to and then on the floor?
Who was he delivering the food to and how would he know how to find what seat they were in?
Was this a publicity stunt?
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Yes, apparently that Uber Eats fiasco was a "prank". Job well done?

On another note. Imagine you bet on WSU +5.5. The person in charge of posting the score on the broadcast made a major error. Obviously they thought the UA player converted the dunk at around the 7 second mark. If you weren't paying attention you thought you lost your bet. You didn't. You were a winner chicken dinner. Obviously the opposite is true if you bet on UA to cover the -5.5

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Borzello: When Kansas was humming offensively for the first two months of the season, it was its smaller lineup causing fits for opponents, spreading the floor, making 3s, winning the turnover battle. That hasn't happened during this losing streak. The Jayhawks are shooting 26% from 3 during that stretch, while turning it over 32 times in the past two games. Throw in Jalen Wilson not getting enough help offensively and a defense that has fallen off dramatically in the past couple of games, and Kansas needs to right the ship at both ends of the floor. Kentucky has also gone smaller during its winning streak, getting better spacing and allowing Oscar Tshiebwe more room to operate inside. Which group wins out on Saturday? I think Kansas can't shoot this poorly forever and gets back on the right track. Predicted score: Kansas 72, Kentucky 70

Gasaway: Since Kentucky's victory at Tennessee, the Wildcats have won three games they're "supposed" to win, which is an essential skill. UK's defense has improved dramatically and Tshiebwe has 67 rebounds across the four wins. Kentucky could be back. Good thing for KU that the Wildcats don't force many turnovers. I expect Gradey Dick to shake off a perimeter cold spell (5 of his last 21) in a game that goes down to the wire. Predicted score: Kansas 74, Kentucky 71

Lunardi: Could this be the reverse of last season, when Kentucky waltzed into Allen Field House and blitzed the future national champions? Kansas is the better team, I think, and has to be smarting a bit heading to Rupp Arena. I doubt this will be a blowout in either direction, as both teams really need a win (albeit for different reasons). But I like the Jayhawks in a close one on the road. Predicted score: Kansas 78, Kentucky 74

Medcalf: Bill Self's three-game losing streak says a lot about the strength of the Big 12 -- the Jayhawks lost to three top-30 KenPom teams -- but it doesn't change my view of Kansas as a contender. Now, Saturday might do that. But Self has always been strong in tight games. His team is 4-1 this season in games decided by three points or less, and was 6-2 last season in the same scenario, including the national title game. But this is a hot Kentucky team. The starting lineup of Chris Livingston, Cason Wallace, CJ Fredrick, Jacob Toppin and Tshiebwe has held opponents to just 85 points per 100 possessions and snatched 42% of its missed shots during this four-game run, per hooplens.com. Predicted score: Kentucky 74, Kansas 72
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nca ... prtryph7wd

… As they were winning 16 of their first 17 games, the Jayhawks were able to use their tremendous strengths to disguise some problematic weaknesses. But league competition has a way of picking toward those things a team does not want to do and discouraging those things it does.

That might never be more true than in this particular Big 12, which may be as dominant as any league ever has been relative to its season. In nonconference play, in advance of the SEC challenge, the Big 12 still has not lost even 20 games. Its winning percentage of .840 is unrivaled by rival conferences. The Big Ten and ACC are the only other leagues above 75 percent, and the Pac-12, Big East and the ACC are well short of the 70 percent mark...

it’s really pretty historical, just how good the conference is this year
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

And yet, only 1 maybe 2 national title contenders?

Didn't some of the Big12 conference teams play weak ass non conference schedules?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

at this moment, right now, i would say the BIG 12 has 5 national title contenders.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

In the NCAA’s NET rankings, the Big 12 has all 10 teams in the top 80, seven in the top 20 and three in the top 10. There could be six teams from the conference earn protected seeds in the 2023 NCAA Tournament – that’s the top four seed lines in each region – and that’s never happened before. The 1991 Big East (seven of nine members selected), the 2011 Big East (a record 11 entrants) or the 2021 Big Ten (nine of 14) were plenty deep but not quite as successful at the top.
Deleted User 863

No Big12 teams in top 8 of Kenpom currently.

Texas and KU are 9 and 10.

Lots inside top 25 of kenpom though. Just feels like every other year around this time. None of these teams are THAT good. But all the big 12 teams are good, so no nights off. Lots of opportunities for good wins, no opportunities for bad losses. Helps everyone stay ranked.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deleted User 863

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:53 am at this moment, right now, i would say the BIG 12 has 5 national title contenders.
KU and maybe Texas is all I can come up with.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Texas with Beard and TCU.

So, just TCU.
Deleted User 863

LOL

TCU hasn't beaten anyone other than big12 teams. They played a weak non con.

You're trying too hard to be down on KU this year. KU is the best team in the big 12. Top 5 in the country.

Some are WAY overreacting to the last 3 games. And totally ignoring the rest of the season and what our players have done.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

KU, tejass, ksu, isu, baylor