Facebook, Google, et al

Coffee talk.
Mjl

Re: Facebook, Google, et al

Post by Mjl »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:41 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:22 pm
Mjl wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:21 am I usually think of IT as more networks and hardware and infrastructure, not so much code.
Same.
Just depends on the team structure I suppose. I work in an org with nearly 400 people in the IT department. Some places only have a handful so you aren't really separated as IT. Who knows.
:) Like I said, I think that's an Omaha thing
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Mjl wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:53 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:41 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:22 pm

Same.
Just depends on the team structure I suppose. I work in an org with nearly 400 people in the IT department. Some places only have a handful so you aren't really separated as IT. Who knows.
:) Like I said, I think that's an Omaha thing
Right on cue. My wife interviewed with an Omaha-based company today. She mentioned in the interview that her husband is a software engineer, and the interviewer says "Oh, well we're hiring IT people too."
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I was slow on this. Just learned it now.
Shame he doesn't post on here. If we had another douche contest/tournament I think he might be the odds on favorite.

https://www.platformer.news/p/elon-musk ... r-engineer
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Quick note related to another thread—you see the illustration up top is done by Stable Diffusion.

An illustrator down a job.
It’s happening a lot.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i wish, just for like a week, that linking to twitter, instagram et al. would be disabled here
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:31 am i wish, just for like a forever, that twitter, instagram et al. would vanish...everywhere.
fyp
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:54 am
KUTradition wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:31 am i wish, just for like a forever, that twitter, instagram et al. would vanish...everywhere.
fyp
well, yeah

baby steps tho
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

You gotta think social media has some net benefits.

It otherwise seems like saying the printing press made people dumber than smarter. In a sense, don’t blame the medium, blame stoopid people in the first place.

That’s where digital social media might be unique tho: the algorithm. If lobster watches one QAnon video, then YouTube auto plays a bunch of anti-vax shit for him, who’s to blame?

Pretty sure that’s what scotus is considering.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The Federal government should have as little say as possible regarding social media, no matter how shittastic it may be.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:36 am The Federal government should have as little say as possible regarding social media, no matter how shittastic it may be.
This.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, I think the scotus issue is whether some pro-tech/tech-installed law from the 90s that protects tech from liability for dumb shit folks do on social media, should extend to algorithms too

So if YouTube keeps auto-playing anti vax shit for lobster, at what point might YouTube be liable? Never at all? What if YouTube starts prompting ISIS recruiting vids? Or how to build a some sorta weapon or something?

I think I’ve shared the opinion that, if a social media site’s feed is just a direct 1:1 curation of what users are sharing, and all this content goes viral organically based entirely on user input, that’s one thing.

But once algorithms are deciding who sees what or whether lobster’s gonna go down a rabbit hole or whether a particular post is gonna go viral, that’s when maybe they should be liable

Or, what about AI? If an AI bot says or does something dumb, or even something criminal, should the programmer be liable? There might be already another thread about this
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Is You Tube creating the anti-vax shit? No, their creators are.
Is there already moderation in place to prevent some of the things you're talking about ( Isis recruiting videos )? Yes.
Can massive automated companies prevent all of that content from being published? No.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Can massive automated companies prevent all of that content from being suggested and auto-played by their own platform?

If not, what not?

If so, when’s liability apply?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

if the simpletons are too simple. they should just stay away. the social medias cannot get their claws into you if you just stay away. or if you cannot stay away altogether. cut back from all day. to half day. for starters.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:50 am Can massive automated companies prevent all of that content from being suggested and auto-played by their own platform?

If not, what not?

If so, when’s liability apply?
It shouldn't really in my opinion.
I believe that the web should be just as free as talking in a public space and I think suing people in this country is out of control ( related to liability ) and the law should be exponentially simplified and accessible to the average joe.

If someone watches a movie and looses their shit, the liability falls on the person who just lost their shit, not the distributor of the movie.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It’s sorta chicken and egg, but which comes first:

All the lobsters making some “SHOCKING: Fauci admits the anti-vaxxers are right!” kinda vid go viral, or YouTube making them go viral by prompting those kinda vids as the next to play for all the lobsters anyway?

To extend your “free as talking in a public space” thought, the algorithm is basically if the owner of the public space is walking around telling each guest at each table, “why don’t you guys talk about this next?”

Then, after the fact, once everybody ends up talking about this, the owner just sits back like “well don’t point that finger at me, it’s not like I told them to talk about anything”

Again, I think the algorithm getting so much influence into what goes viral and what people click on, should be treatwd as such, and at some point there’s some liability.

If tech companies don’t like it, they can change/omit their algorithm to reflect more organic user search and consumption, rather than what they program the algorithm to suggest.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

you are the classic example of what too much social medias can do to a person.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I was waiting for that one.

Fuckin’ Qusdahl!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »