Let’s have a war!

Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Let’s have a war!

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:49 am
Feral wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:47 am Dark Brandon, baller:

It is the first time in modern history that a U.S. president has entered a war zone where there is not an active American military presence.

Biden makes surprise visit to Ukraine nearly one year after Russia's invasion

The clandestine journey into the war-ravaged country comes as Biden also heads to Poland to demonstrate U.S. solidarity...
speaking of warzones, Shirley.....this thread.....you've been warned now. Just sneaking in to drop you a note, ill slip out the back door now.
I appreciate the concern, TDub. I admit I haven't read back to see how deep this mud puddle is, and I'm not sure how I'll take it if I'm accused of being wokened.

The market is closed today.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the good folks from the greatest country on earth. have been very generous this last calendar year. we rock.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:36 am the good folks from the greatest country on earth. have been very generous this last calendar year. we rock.
Indeed.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Feral wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:35 am
TDub wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:49 am
Feral wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:47 am Dark Brandon, baller:

It is the first time in modern history that a U.S. president has entered a war zone where there is not an active American military presence.

Biden makes surprise visit to Ukraine nearly one year after Russia's invasion

The clandestine journey into the war-ravaged country comes as Biden also heads to Poland to demonstrate U.S. solidarity...
speaking of warzones, Shirley.....this thread.....you've been warned now. Just sneaking in to drop you a note, ill slip out the back door now.
I appreciate the concern, TDub. I admit I haven't read back to see how deep this mud puddle is, and I'm not sure how I'll take it if I'm accused of being wokened.

The market is closed today.
you might need your muckboots.

anyway....I like to think of this thread as a real-time case study on the impact of algorithms.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea, this thread sucks.

but maybe it just needs some fresh new talent.

Shirley, I'd be pleased to hear your takes, if you're so inclined.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

we should welcome vlad with open arms… наш спаситель и освободитель

https://www.vice.com/en/article/epzja7/ ... a-lawrence
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

“based on a report from the anti-fascist research group known as the Anonymous Comrades Collective.“

Remember to thank your friendly neighborhood Qusdahl
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

aaaand in today’s edition of “the best foreign policy is do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do…

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-to-exp ... t-62198a83
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:54 am aaaand in today’s edition of “the best foreign policy is do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do…

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-to-exp ... t-62198a83
so, then, by this logic, a thief breaking into your house and stealing some shit is the same as a neighbor coming over to your house to help you put together Ikea furniture.

got it.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Huh?

Not sure that analogy works.

A better one is likely something along the lines of, if China tried to establish and grow a military presence in the Caribbean
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Are we threatening to invade the Caribbean?

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

…yes?

(I previously posted in this thread about US meddling in Haiti btw)

And, doesn’t China consider Taiwan part of China? So the better analogy may be Puerto Rico.

How would we feel if China started fucking around there?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:15 pm …yes?

(I previously posted in this thread about US meddling in Haiti btw)

And, doesn’t China consider Taiwan part of China? So the better analogy may be Puerto Rico.

How would we feel if China started fucking around there?
But...We don't have an adversarial relationship with Puerto Rico, China doesn't have strong economic and technological ties to PR. And you're proposed scenario would make China an aggressor not someone trying to maintain peace.

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

and the majority of puerto ricans want statehood, not independence
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Didn’t the House recently pass something that would allow Puerto Rico to vote on just that? Either statehood, independence, or “free association.” Pretty sure it didn’t pass the Senate tho.

Regarding “strong economic and technological ties,” that almost makes Taiwan sound even more valuable to the U.S. than Puerto Rico.

Re: “proposed scenario would make China an aggressor not someone trying to maintain peace,” exactly!

Is that to suggest the US expanding its military presence in Taiwan is not an aggressor act, but a U.S. attempt to maintain peace?

Couldn’t one just as easily perceive an increased US military presence as saber rattling, right?

(Especially when it’s, once again, on the other side of the globe in some other foreign country most Mercians couldn’t even find on a map)
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

you’re all about giving the citizens of a country the right to choose, right?

does Taiwan and it’s citizenry want the US there? do they want our economic and military ties?

why shouldn’t they get to choose their own path going forward, rather than bending the knee to china?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

He just can't help himself. How can he be so bad at understanding this?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:19 pm you’re all about giving the citizens of a country the right to choose, right?

does Taiwan and it’s citizenry want the US there? do they want our economic and military ties?

why shouldn’t they get to choose their own path going forward, rather than bending the knee to china?
Perhaps you’re better versed on Taiwan than me…do they?

What knee-bending has China done?

And is this to assume an increased US military presence is not indicative of saber rattling, but of freedom and democracy?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:35 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:19 pm you’re all about giving the citizens of a country the right to choose, right?

Perhaps you’re better versed on Taiwan than me…do they?

What knee-bending has China done?

And is this to assume an increased US military presence is not indicative of saber rattling, but of freedom and democracy?
1) if Taiwan genuinely invited the US’s military presence, then no, i don’t consider it sabre rattling

2) maybe you misread, but it would be Taiwan that would be bending the knee to china if they indeed want the US there but weren’t to allow it out of fear of pissing china off

3) why are you even bringing these things up if you don’t actually know what Taiwan’s position in all of this is?