Facebook, Google, et al

Coffee talk.
Mjl

Re: Facebook, Google, et al

Post by Mjl »

Silicon Valley Bank topic go here?

16th largest bank in US failed.
A shit-ton of startups had much more than $250k deposited.

I don't think anyone here would say the bank itself should be bailed out.

What about the depositors though?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

My worthless opinion, yes - I feel people should be "bailed" out for up to 250K.

BJ (Illi) deleted his post before I could respond to it.

Yes, supposedly people who deposited money with/into SVB were "insured" for up to 250k by FDIC.

That being said, allegedly 90% of the money with/in the bank was uninsured.

That also being said, if someone doesn't/didn't comprehend the risks involved then I question if I should feel less or more sorry for them.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

More than anything it’s the employees of the companies and the knock on effect. My daughter’s former employer runs payroll through a company which banks with them and has several millions of dollars there. Her friends don’t know if they will be paid on Wednesday. Very scary!!!
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

zsn wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:52 am More than anything it’s the employees of the companies and the knock on effect. My daughter’s former employer runs payroll through a company which banks with them and has several millions of dollars there. Her friends don’t know if they will be paid on Wednesday. Very scary!!!
Exactly
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

zsn wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:52 am More than anything it’s the employees of the companies and the knock on effect. My daughter’s former employer runs payroll through a company which banks with them and has several millions of dollars there. Her friends don’t know if they will be paid on Wednesday. Very scary!!!
I'm clueless in regards to payroll but supposedly the FDIC claims those insured up to 250K will have available funds on Monday.
There are valid reasons why people keep cash at home. This being one of them?
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:43 am My worthless opinion, yes - I feel people should be "bailed" out for up to 250K.

Yes, supposedly people who deposited money with/into SVB were "insured" for up to 250k by FDIC.

That also being said, if someone doesn't/didn't comprehend the risks involved then I question if I should feel less or more sorry for them.
Obviously they should be "bailed out" up to 250k. The question is beyond that. 250k isn't much for a company trying to make payroll
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:43 am My worthless opinion, yes - I feel people should be "bailed" out for up to 250K.

Sorry. Made the post and then figured I'd just read about it before asking a question.
Deleted User 863

Mjl wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:00 pm

Obviously they should be "bailed out" up to 250k. The question is beyond that. 250k isn't much for a company trying to make payroll
I don't think they should be bailed out unfortunately.

Bank financials are public. Concentrating all your money into 1 bank is a risk. If you're going to do that I'd made damn sure that bank has significant reserves to survive the bad times or a large loan loss.

It sucks. Terrible for those businesses that will lose money. But there is risk involved in doing business.
Deleted User 863

I am assuming this is a reason many businesses have operating lines to cover expenses and payroll during each fiscal year so that those types of things are not being paid out of a deposit account with balances over the insurable limit.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

There is supposed to be risk in business.
I don't generally think of putting money in a bank account as one of those risks
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I guess it also sucks to be an employee? Is it your suggestion that before accepting a job you look at the financials of the bank which holds the money of the company which runs payroll for your employer?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Mjl wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:00 pm

It's a sore subject that I have mixed feelings about. Companies know the risk/s. Unfortunately it's the employees who suffer - for doing nothing wrong.
Deleted User 863

Mjl wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:11 pm There is supposed to be risk in business.
I don't generally think of putting money in a bank account as one of those risks
It shouldn't be.
If all of the people who keep money in banks went to all the banks tomorrow morning and tried to withdraw our entire balances not a single bank would have enough to cover their balances on the books.
Deleted User 863

zsn wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:13 pm I guess it also sucks to be an employee? Is it your suggestion that before accepting a job you look at the financials of the bank which holds the money of the company which runs payroll for your employer?
We doing this just for banks or for any business that fails to be able to meet their payroll obligations?
Deleted User 863

I just don't know what the fix is. The government covering all the money doesn't make sense to me. It's not sustainable practice.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:19 pm
zsn wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:13 pm I guess it also sucks to be an employee? Is it your suggestion that before accepting a job you look at the financials of the bank which holds the money of the company which runs payroll for your employer?
We doing this just for banks or for any business that fails to be able to meet their payroll obligations?
The company has the money to make payroll, it’s just that the company that processes the checks can’t access theirs
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:18 pm
It shouldn't be.
If all of the people who keep money in banks went to all the banks tomorrow morning and tried to withdraw our entire balances not a single bank would have enough to cover their balances on the books.
Exactly, that's the issue. If I'm a business owner with my cash in a non-gigantic bank, I'm pulling it out Monday.

Everyone does that and every small bank goes down, no matter how responsible they are or aren't. But not just them, but everyone who wasn't quick enough to get it out before the run is also fucked. The economic repercussions are devastating.
Deleted User 863

zsn wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:33 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:19 pm
The company has the money to make payroll, it’s just that the company that processes the checks can’t access theirs
It's unfortunate. Mistakes were clearly made on both sides of the equation.

Like I said, this is why operating lines of credit exist. This is why companies have CFOs to manage the money and mitigate risk. There are better options and products than sitting money over the insurable limit in a deposit account for long periods of time. Most well run businesses would be moving money into and out of that type of account if that's how they paid their payroll.
Deleted User 863

Mjl wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:36 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:18 pm
It shouldn't be.
Exactly, that's the issue. If I'm a business owner with my cash in a non-gigantic bank, I'm pulling it out Monday.

Everyone does that and every small bank goes down, no matter how responsible they are or aren't. But not just them, but everyone who wasn't quick enough to get it out before the run is also fucked. The economic repercussions are devastating.
That's because our banking industry, both large and small banks, is a lot of smoke and mirrors. They aren't money holders. They are money sellers. They are lenders.

The big banks can't cover their balances either.

As someone who has worked at a financial institution that was close to a billion dollars in total assets, so a large community bank, we did not have very many business customers with over the 250k insurable limit sitting in a deposit account. There are better products offered and ways to store that money.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I get that... but are we willing to risk a massive depression?