We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

While the dunks are fun highlight videos, there’s definitely a downside (in that legislators put chasing highlight dunks over playing a sound floor game).
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Gerry Connelly - floor game and dunk. Jordan, Taibbi and Schellenberger are all incapable of shame.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

We've talked a lot in this space about how fond the right is of shooting itself square in the dick. This remains the case (noting that, when it comes to national elections, the Republicans are already very nearly drawing dead).

A GOP war on 'woke'? Most Americans view the term as a positive, USA TODAY/Ipsos Poll finds

By 56%-39%, Americans say 'woke' means being aware of social injustice, not being overly politically correct.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 417394002/
Republican presidential hopefuls are vowing to wage a war on "woke," but a new USA TODAY/Ipsos Poll finds a majority of Americans are inclined to see the word as a positive attribute, not a negative one.

Fifty-six percent of those surveyed say the term means "to be informed, educated on, and aware of social injustices." That includes not only three-fourths of Democrats but also more than a third of Republicans.

Overall, 39% say instead that the word reflects what has become the GOP political definition, "to be overly politically correct and police others' words." That's the view of 56% of Republicans.

The findings raise questions about whether Republican campaign promises to ban policies at schools and workplaces they denounce as "woke" could boost a contender in the party's primaries but put them at odds with broader public opinion in the general election.

[...]

Americans by close to 3-1, 72%-26%, support teaching "the ongoing effects of slavery and racism in the United States" in public schools, a question asked of half the sample. That includes overwhelming numbers of Democrats and independents and close to half of Republicans (46%).

[...]

Americans overwhelmingly oppose, by 76%-21%, efforts by state governments to ban certain books from school classrooms and libraries. Last year the nonprofit group PEN America reported that school districts in 26 states had moved to ban some books, often ones that relate to race or gender identity.

The opposition to state bans crosses party lines, including 86% of Democrats, 78% of independents and 66% of Republicans.
The people relentlessly shoveling the culture war bullshit on the rubes - who eagerly gobble it up and shit it out, undigested - are not idiots. They do not peddle this nonsense because they expect it will lead to victory at the polls. The dumbassery is clearly unpopular, and growing moreso by the cycle.

But, the rubes just keep right on buying MyPillows and Trump .jpgs and doomsday prepper kits and any manner of As-Seen-on-TV plastic.

As is being made ABUNDANTLY clear in all of the Fox stuff...the rubes are being taken advantage of left and right.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

zsn wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:02 am Gerry Connelly - floor game and dunk. Jordan, Taibbi and Schellenberger are all incapable of shame.
When, as a leftist, Matt Taibbi is your antagonist, you've totally lost the thread.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i just got back from the mall. i asked 10 people what the word "woke" meant to them:

9 said my alarm clock goes off i stop sleeping

1 said all white people are rascist

there you have it. conclusive evidence.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:22 am i just got back from the mall. i asked 10 people what the word "woke" meant to them:

9 said my alarm clock goes off i stop sleeping

1 said all white people are rascist

there you have it. conclusive evidence.
The typo here is just chef's-kiss stuff.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:16 am
zsn wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:02 am Gerry Connelly - floor game and dunk. Jordan, Taibbi and Schellenberger are all incapable of shame.
When, as a leftist, Matt Taibbi is your antagonist, you've totally lost the thread.
maybe...I dunno...cuz maybe Gerry Connolly isn't a leftist?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I was referring to zsn, but sure, Connolly is your standard corporatist.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:16 am
Who knows what Taibbi is anymore. Who knows which of his persona is the real Taibbi.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I'd say Taibbi is more consistent about things like freedom of speech and opposition to collusive corporatism than the Democratic Party (or the Republican Party, for that matter) is.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:49 am We've talked a lot in this space about how fond the right is of shooting itself square in the dick. This remains the case (noting that, when it comes to national elections, the Republicans are already very nearly drawing dead).

A GOP war on 'woke'? Most Americans view the term as a positive, USA TODAY/Ipsos Poll finds

By 56%-39%, Americans say 'woke' means being aware of social injustice, not being overly politically correct.

[...]

The people relentlessly shoveling the culture war bullshit on the rubes - who eagerly gobble it up and shit it out, undigested - are not idiots. They do not peddle this nonsense because they expect it will lead to victory at the polls. The dumbassery is clearly unpopular, and growing moreso by the cycle.

But, the rubes just keep right on buying MyPillows and Trump .jpgs and doomsday prepper kits and any manner of As-Seen-on-TV plastic.

As is being made ABUNDANTLY clear in all of the Fox stuff...the rubes are being taken advantage of left and right.
Confirmation bias. Trump hates all the same people they do and gave them permission to act on it, so they'll eat almost anything he says or does, up.

Speaking of "woke", you should live in Florida where our governor is the Emir of "antiwokeness", whatever TF "woke" means.

If there is currently a word in use that is more trite than woke, I can't think of it.

trite
/trīt/
adjective
adjective: trite; comparative adjective: triter; superlative adjective: tritest
(of a remark, opinion, or idea) overused and consequently of little import; lacking originality or freshness.
"this point may now seem obvious and trite"
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Feral wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:06 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:49 am We've talked a lot in this space about how fond the right is of shooting itself square in the dick. This remains the case (noting that, when it comes to national elections, the Republicans are already very nearly drawing dead).

[...]

Confirmation bias. Trump hates all the same people they do and gave them permission to act on it, so they'll eat almost anything he says or does, up.

Speaking of "woke", you should live in Florida where our governor is the Emir of "antiwokeness", whatever TF "woke" means.

If there is currently a word in use that is more trite than woke, I can't think of it.

trite
/trīt/
adjective
adjective: trite; comparative adjective: triter; superlative adjective: tritest
(of a remark, opinion, or idea) overused and consequently of little import; lacking originality or freshness.
"this point may now seem obvious and trite"
The industrial complex organized around bilking rubes has - quite brilliantly, really - made very very very scary coding around "woke", "CRT" and so on. Not only is it not important that the rubes really understand any of it, in fact that opacity and ignorance is vital.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Thanks to Boebert, I know her 17 year old knocked up "his girlfriend".
What I don't know and what is rumored is that she is 15 years old.
I also don't know, does that mean he committed a crime? My guess is no because I figure we would have heard about that by now.
Regardless of all that, Boebert introduced a Bill to defund Planned Parenthood.
You can't make this shit up.
She has to know Planned Parenthood does other things than perform (or help people get) abortions. Right?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Didn’t she pop out that kid when she was a teenager?
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Overlander wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:55 pm Didn’t she pop out that kid when she was a teenager?
Yes, she was 18 or 19 it looks like.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:10 am Thanks to Boebert, I know her 17 year old knocked up "his girlfriend".
I also don't know, does that mean he committed a crime? My guess is no because I figure we would have heard about that by now.
She has to know Planned Parenthood does other things than perform (or help people get) abortions. Right?
The Republicans are pretty reliable: the things they get outwardly angriest about are things they are guilty of doing.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:17 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:10 am Thanks to Boebert, I know her 17 year old knocked up "his girlfriend".
The Republicans are pretty reliable: the things they get outwardly angriest about are things they are guilty of doing.
Some people say every accusation by a republican is a confession.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

...in this week's edition of, "Republican Profiles In Courage"