Bill Self w/ 2

Kansas Basketball.
bigB

Re: Bill Self w/ 2

Post by bigB »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:51 pm Of course illy’s gotta give his two stents’ worth

It’s better than giving three stents worth.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

bigB wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:30 pm
ousdahl wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:51 pm Of course illy’s gotta give his two stents’ worth

It’s better than giving three stents worth.
^^^
So, he had a heart catheterization and 2 stents placed.

That was at the top of the (my) list of "procedures" he was most likely to have, based on his age.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

pdub wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:56 pm They just said he will be coaching us come 1 v 16.
If his doc/s say ok, fantastic. Like I basically said a few days ago, he's fortunate to have had a non dire wake up call and will hopefully take good care of himself.
Big heart miracle to me is Bob Huggins. Figured he was done 21 years ago. Glad I was wrong and the guy is still going strong.
randylahey wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:33 pm
Rainbows I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than to go digging stuff up on a message board.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

"KU Coach Bill Self was discharged from The University of Kansas Health System today in good condition," the University of Kansas Health System said in a statement released via Kansas Athletics. "He arrived at the emergency department Wednesday evening March 8, complaining of chest tightness and balance concerns. Clinical Service Chief for Cardiovascular Medicine and Interventional cardiologist Dr. Mark Wiley said Coach Self underwent a standard heart catheterization and had two stents placed for the treatment of blocked arteries. Coach Self responded well to the procedure and is expected to make a full recovery."
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Consider me among the conservative approach-takers when it comes to Self taking all the time he needs to get healthy again, whether it’s an extra week or two, or an entire off-season.

Re: “take good care of himself,” I wonder if we’ll see him loose a few pounds or go public with diet changes or anything
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:09 pm Consider me among the conservative approach-takers when it comes to Self taking all the time he needs to get healthy again, whether it’s an extra week or two, or an entire off-season.

Re: “take good care of himself,” I wonder if we’ll see him loose a few pounds or go public with diet changes or anything
Too many coaches meetings at Jefferson's, I guess. Self is at that age and in a profession where he needs to start paying attention to his diet and fitness levels or he might not get another chance like this. I am glad he listened to his body and went in when he did. We should all file that away for a later date.
Psychhawk

Post by Psychhawk »

I really thought Self did not look right a week ago Saturday in Austin during a couple of bench shots during the game. Was sitting rather quietly a couple of times I expected him to be fired up. I remember thinking he was strangely calm for being behind. Hopefully this will be what he needs to stay healthy for a long time.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I would, even if he was told he could come back, prefer he take at the very least another week, if not rest of the season off.

Long game.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Yes. He should do what is best for him.

I am sure he wants to send Jalen off the right way though.

What is the Over/Under on how many more seasons Self goes?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Just saw that in Self's 19 seasons, we've been a 1 seed 10 times.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

My guess is he will do everything but be there in game where stress on his heart would significantly increase.

This might even mean watching the game at the arena and being there in the locker room at halftime.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:38 am My guess is he will do everything but be there in game where stress on his heart would significantly increase.

This might even mean watching the game at the arena and being there in the locker room at halftime.
Not a doctor, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but: if his condition is such that too much excitement is problematic, then he should just sit the whole thing out. In that case, he's not helping anyone - not the team, the staff or himself - by being around.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:31 am Just saw that in Self's 19 seasons, we've been a 1 seed 10 times.
And never lower than a 4 here (and that, just once).

Every year for 20 years we have been in the top 16 at this time of year. 11 out of 20 years, we've been top 4. Madness.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:38 am My guess is he will do everything but be there in game where stress on his heart would significantly increase.

I'm thinking the very same.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:25 am
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:31 am Just saw that in Self's 19 seasons, we've been a 1 seed 10 times.

Every year for 20 years we have been in the top 16 at this time of year. 11 out of 20 years, we've been top 4. Madness.
And I hate to bring this up, but one of those years there was not a tournament and KU was surely going to be a 1.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DrPepper wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:36 am

And I hate to bring this up, but one of those years there was not a tournament and KU was surely going to be a 1.
To be fair, I assumed (for my post) that we woulda been a 1. Which is a pretty safe assumption...
Deleted User 863

Close friend of mine, about 10 years younger than Self just had a stent put in. He was back golfing within 2 weeks.

I don't think there is a ton of added risk coaching. It has to be nearly as anxiety filled for a coach to watch in the locker room.

Personally, I think he should play it safe for rd 1. Game 2, against Ark or UofI, I think he'd want to be on the bench.

If coaching is a significant health risk then he will have a decision to make after this year about how much longer he wants to do this. But I'd imagine he'd want to finish what he has started with this group that he clearly has enjoyed a ton this year.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:39 am

To be fair, I assumed (for my post) that we woulda been a 1. Which is a pretty safe assumption...
Personally, I'd go so far as to let 'em hang a banner.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:53 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:39 am
Personally, I'd go so far as to let 'em hang a banner.
I would have two rows on the North end. A top row, with the NCAA title banners. And then a bottom row, with the Helms years (1922 and 1923?) and 2020 on them (just the years, no text).
Deleted User 863

Gross. Just hanging banners for woulda been a 1 seed now?

Being a 1 seed doesn't = national champion.

Being the best team on paper doesn't = national champion.

Should Baylor hang a banner too? They were going to be a 1 seed and were definitely one of the best teams.

Personal preference obviously, but seems silly to me. There was no national champion that year because no tournament was held. That's okay with me. I think canceling it was the right move at the time.