Another mass shooting

Ugh.
Mjl

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by Mjl »

randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:45 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:42 am i don't believe anybody wants to disarm the good folks.
I wish that were true but I've seen hundreds of posts of people saying "everyone should turn in their guns so we can do something"
A lot of people are naive enough to think we can magically make guns disappear
Are you both children?
The "good guys and bad guys" argument is one an adult should not be making.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:58 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:49 am i do believe that no person outside the active military should be allowed to own one of those guns that can shoot a hundred rounds in a minute.
A person could just as easily mow down a crowd with a runaway vehicle and kill hundreds too. Guns are a tool, not a root cause of the evil
And yet, people keep choosing guns. Over and over and over.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:01 am
randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:36 am Humans are violent, always have been and always will be. I know you guys mean well, but disarming yourselves is NOT the way to protect yourself from violence. So naive
It's a way to protect myself (and others) from getting shot. Is it not?
Broken record time......
I saw my best friend laying dead with his body bullet ridden. I promise you if the person who shot him didn't have a gun, he wouldn't have been shot. Do I think the person who shot him may have tried to use a different weapon to kill him? Perhaps but my being naive or not, I probably would have liked his chances of survival better if that person didn't have a gun.
I'm sorry about your friend.

But if guns were illegal, that person still has a gun. Murder is illegal, yet that person still committed murder
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:10 am
randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:07 am So jfish can't answer the question everybody
What in the world are you talking about? My god, culture war issues converging is causing your brain cells to play bumper cars or something.
I'm asking you to give me one example of a right a trans person doesn't have that other people have. And you are not able to do so. Ill give you another chance. Name one right that a transperson does not have, that others have. Just one
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:52 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:46 am
randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:41 am I also feel that the endless attention these shooters get actually adds to the problem. It unintentionally glorifies them. A lot of these shooters are kids that slipped through the cracks of society and feel lost and forgotten. This is their way of reminding us that they are still here
Are you...saying that if we ignore the problem, it'll go away? That one day - it's like a miracle - it will disappear?
I think we should try identifying the problem first. Guns have always been around in this country... mass shootings became a more prevalent thing around the turn of the century. What changes were happening in our society that has suddenly started creating all these psychopathic desires
You're getting there...
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Mjl wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:13 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:46 am

Are you...saying that if we ignore the problem, it'll go away? That one day - it's like a miracle - it will disappear?
I think we should try identifying the problem first. Guns have always been around in this country... mass shootings became a more prevalent thing around the turn of the century. What changes were happening in our society that has suddenly started creating all these psychopathic desires
You're getting there...
Whats your theory for why they've increased? Honest question

I know we all agree that shootings are a bad thing and a problem. Let's change the discussion to what is causing the increase in them
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:13 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:10 am
randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:07 am So jfish can't answer the question everybody
What in the world are you talking about? My god, culture war issues converging is causing your brain cells to play bumper cars or something.
I'm asking you to give me one example of a right a trans person doesn't have that other people have. And you are not able to do so. Ill give you another chance. Name one right that a transperson does not have, that others have. Just one
I'm not sure you have even a middle-school-level understanding of what rights are, or where they come from.

But there are myriad examples of legislation and policies advanced by Republicans that seek to tell trans people which bathroom they can use, how other people (including their employers and government agencies) address them, which sports teams they can be on, what can be taught about them in schools, whether they are eligible for certain benefits and programs, what medical treatments are available to them, and on and on and on.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:12 am
randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:36 am Humans are violent, always have been and always will be. I know you guys mean well, but disarming yourselves is NOT the way to protect yourself from violence. So naive
Broken record time......
I saw my best friend laying dead with his body bullet ridden. I promise you if the person who shot him didn't have a gun, he wouldn't have been shot. Do I think the person who shot him may have tried to use a different weapon to kill him? Perhaps but my being naive or not, I probably would have liked his chances of survival better if that person didn't have a gun.

But if guns were illegal, that person still has a gun. Murder is illegal, yet that person still committed murder
You and I don't know if THAT person still has a gun if guns were illegal.
I 100% agree others would still have guns if they were illegal.
In a fantasy world no one would have guns.
What would be nice is if we had a better system in this country in which we could make it more difficult for people to obtain and own guns but more importantly, a way to stop "bad" people from using them against "good" people. I don't have the answers as to how we do that easily but I do know that not doing anything isn't going to solve that problem.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Ok I am a biological male. I do not have the right to participate in whichever gender of sports I chose, or use whichever bathroom I choose, or get just any medical treatment I chose either
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:32 am
randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:12 am

Broken record time......

You and I don't know if THAT person still has a gun if guns were illegal.
I 100% agree others would still have guns if they were illegal.
In a fantasy world no one would have guns.
What would be nice is if we had a better system in this country in which we could make it more difficult for people to obtain and own guns but more importantly, a way to stop "bad" people from using them against "good" people. I don't have the answers as to how we do that easily but I do know that not doing anything isn't going to solve that problem.
Yes. But if the only way to obtain guns were illegally, there would be ZERO background checks, compared to now there are some
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

If someone is willing to overlook murder laws and commit murder, its reasonable to saw they will be willing to overlook gun laws and still commit murder
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:45 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:42 am i don't believe anybody wants to disarm the good folks.
I wish that were true but I've seen hundreds of posts of people saying "everyone should turn in their guns so we can do something"
A lot of people are naive enough to think we can magically make guns disappear
There are hundreds of members of NAMBLA who feel there should be no age limits and that adults should be allowed to have sex with chosen, too. The existence of hundreds of people with a thought in a country of more than 331 million doesn't make it a valid argument.

There are not "a lot" of people who want all guns turned in so stop with the BS.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:21 am

You're getting there...

I know we all agree that shootings are a bad thing and a problem. Let's change the discussion to what is causing the increase in them
The increase in mass shootings correlate to the lifting of the assault weapon ban.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:38 am If someone is willing to overlook murder laws and commit murder, its reasonable to saw they will be willing to overlook gun laws and still commit murder
This whole "if anyone can get around a law then there is no point to the law" shtick is old and tired and serves no purpose in a legitimate discussion. It is not helpful at all. We have to try to put up more checks, deterrents and barriers to try to keep unstable people with ill intent from getting weapons that will be used for mass attacks like these.

It would be massive progress if the high volume of mass shootings that were done using legally obtained firearms was reduced. We agree there? It's a good start that would result in lives saved.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:45 am
randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:38 am If someone is willing to overlook murder laws and commit murder, its reasonable to saw they will be willing to overlook gun laws and still commit murder
This whole "if anyone can get around a law then there is no point to the law" shtick is old and tired and serves no purpose in a legitimate discussion. It is not helpful at all. We have to try to put up more checks, deterrents and barriers to try to keep unstable people with ill intent from getting weapons that will be used for mass attacks like these.

It would be massive progress if the high volume of mass shootings that were done using legally obtained firearms was reduced. We agree there? It's a good start that would result in lives saved.
It's also a settled question; just look at EVERY OTHER advanced nation. Sensible gun laws simply do work. And there is absolutely no vital interest that is served by our country continuing to pretend otherwise.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Mjl wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:42 am
randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:21 am

You're getting there...

The increase in mass shootings correlate to the lifting of the assault weapon ban.
There were mass shootings in the 80s and early 90s too tho. And many other ways to commit mass homicide. Including some bombings shortly after that which were far deadlier
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

The Oklahoma city bombing killed 168 people and injured many more. It was the deadliest case of domestic terrorism in US history. It happened in 1995...
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:00 am The Oklahoma city bombing killed 168 people and injured many more. It was the deadliest case of domestic terrorism in US history. It happened in 1995...
And now there are bollards in front of federal buildings and courthouses!

Because that's what sane, reasonable people do: they learn.

The rest of the entire fucking advanced world does better on this issue than we do. And it's because of the poison you gobble up like it's the antidote to something.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

hey, hey…look over there!!
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:08 am
randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:00 am The Oklahoma city bombing killed 168 people and injured many more. It was the deadliest case of domestic terrorism in US history. It happened in 1995...
And now there are bollards in front of federal buildings and courthouses!

Because that's what sane, reasonable people do: they learn.

The rest of the entire fucking advanced world does better on this issue than we do. And it's because of the poison you gobble up like it's the antidote to something.
Signed, sealed, delivered
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG