Another mass shooting

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by jfish26 »

Red States = Higher Murder Rates

https://www.axios.com/2023/01/27/murder ... can-states

BUT, do these statistics read out people who were going to die anyway?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:33 am Red States = Higher Murder Rates

are pubs more violent?

higher rates of mental health issues?

dissolution of social/cultural norms?

i wonder what it could possibly be?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Ask Vivek.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

What's the January 6 200 Yard Dash champ have to say about it?

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 47110.html
Hawley, who served as the state’s attorney general before his election to the Senate, said he’s glad the prosecutor brought charges in the case. But he tied the crime to a larger problem with violence across the country. “The violence in Kansas City, and really all over the state, and St. Louis and Springfield, I mean, it’s bad and it’s getting worse,” Hawley said. “But this is just horrific. People should be able to go to a door, or go to a bus stop, or whatever, and not fear for their lives.'
(Narrator voice: this has nothing to do with "violence in Kansas City, and really all over the state, and St. Louis and Springfield.")
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:23 am Ell. Oh. Ell.

Is Yarl home? If so, great.

You can't (shouldn't?) judge a book by its cover - but sometimes can you get a pretty good idea of what it's all about?

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

it’s a day of the week ending in “y”
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

20-year-old Kaylin Gillis was shot and killed Saturday night in upstate New York when the car she was in accidentally pulled into the wrong driveway. The suspect is in custody and is charged with murder.

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Do we know enough yet about the shooter (of the gun(s)), the people shot (by the shooter of the gun(s), with the gun(s)), or the shooting (of the people shot (by the shooter of the gun(s), with the gun(s))) to identify which particular “it was the shooter, not the gun(s)” excuse applies here?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Ironic that I posted this one week ago.........

by RainbowsandUnicorns » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:16 am

I am 56 years of age. To the best of my knowledge, I have had just one attempted "home intruder" in my lifetime. That person didn't have "ill intent" unless her being drunk and thinking she was going in to her own apartment was "ill intent".
Now if I had a gun and mistakenly thought she was trying to harm me and I shot her and killed her.....
Do you think that would have been a better outcome for both her and I than what happened?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:38 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:23 am Ell. Oh. Ell.

Is Yarl home? If so, great.

You can't (shouldn't?) judge a book by its cover - but sometimes can you get a pretty good idea of what it's all about?

Dracula?
Eating Spaghetti-Os?
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

How come we cannot look at states individual numbers? And which states were included or excludes in this data lol
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

And also. Total number of murders
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Very similar percentages compared against very different population sizes is skewed data
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

#notverysmart
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:48 am Very similar percentages compared against very different population sizes is skewed data
Wut? The whole point of percentages is to smooth out problems caused by comparing different sample sizes.

Per cent.

One part of every hundred.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:45 am

How come we cannot look at states individual numbers? And which states were included or excludes in this data lol
The underlying study and data are linked. But here, let me do it for you:

https://www.thirdway.org/report/the-two ... er-problem

https://wonder.cdc.gov/ucd-icd10.html

Of note (because I'm quite aware of what your stupid playbook says to do next):
Even when large cities are removed from red states, murder rates are still higher.

Some on the right argue that murder rates in red states are higher because of the blue cities in those red states. Of course, blue states have more blue urban areas than red states. That is what makes most states blue. The fact is that murder rates have increased in urban, suburban, and rural areas.

But to answer these critics, we performed an exercise to give red states a special boost. For this exercise, we removed all of the murders in the county with the largest city for 19 of 25 red states. In six rural red states home to no cities with large numbers of murders, this calculation was not possible based on available CDC data.2 Blue states would get no such advantage. But even with the largest city removed from red states, the Red State murder gap persisted.

Over the course of the full 21 years between 2000 and 2020, the Red State murder rate was still 12% higher than the Blue State murder rate, even when murders in the largest cities in those red states were removed. And the murder rate was still higher in 18 of 21 years.

Between 2010 and 2020, even after removing New Orleans and Jackson, Louisiana and Mississippi continued to hold the number one and two spots for highest murder rates. Alabama, Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina, and Tennessee were still consistently in the top 10 after removing their largest city.

In 2020, the states with the highest murder rates stayed roughly the same after making this change: Mississippi in first, then Louisiana, Alabama, South Carolina, Missouri, Illinois, Maryland, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Georgia.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:55 am another good guy with a gun?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/te ... -rcna80366
Here, the "it wasn't the gun" excuse is fairly easy to see developing...
The suspect, Pedro Tello Rodriguez Jr., 25, has been charged with deadly conduct, a third-degree felony, police said.
Oh also:
One of the girls accidentally tried to get into the wrong car, Shearer said. That's when, she said, a "guy got out and they saw that he had a gun. And so they tried to speed off and he shot his gun, like five times or so into the car." Woodlands Elite did not immediately respond to an overnight request for comment. The Elgin Police Department also did not immediately respond to an overnight request from NBC News seeking to confirm these details.

According to ABC News, Heather Roth, a cheerleader with the Woodlands Elite, said in an Instagram Live post that she was the one who got out of her friend's car and opened the door of another vehicle she thought was her own, only to notice a man was in the passenger seat. She said she got out of the car and back into her friend's vehicle, the report said.

Roth reportedly said the man approached their vehicle and she rolled down a window to apologize. That's when the man started shooting, she said, according to ABC News. The Instagram Live post was no longer available early Wednesday, but Roth shared a number of posts that appeared to be related to the incident. She did not immediately respond to overnight request for comment.
The gun culture the right has promoted has people just actively looking for opportunities to shoot other people. You can miss me with the "the murder rate would be exactly where it is, guns or no guns" bullshit. This dude wasn't going to stab a bunch of people in a fleeing car.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:59 am
randylahey wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:48 am Very similar percentages compared against very different population sizes is skewed data
Wut? The whole point of percentages is to smooth out problems caused by comparing different sample sizes.

Per cent.

One part of every hundred.
Thats odd. You guys told me the exact opposite when it came to covid percentages and overall deaths. For 3 years you told me to focus on the overall deaths, not low percentage numbers