2023 Transfer Portal and NBA Declarations

Kansas Basketball.
TDub
Contributor

Re: 2023 Transfer Portal and NBA Declarations

Post by TDub »

if we're talking $100 tips from a shift at the wheel...we're not having this conversation at all.

How much is the room.and board alone worth?

youre inability to even acknowledge the other side of the argument is the reason people have such a hard time with your stance.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:17 pm if we're talking $100 tips from a shift at the wheel...we're not having this conversation at all.

youre inability to even acknowledge the other side of the argument is the reason people have such a hard time with your stance.
I have ALWAYS acknowledged the other side. I’ve NEVER said what they’re getting besides cash is valueless. It’s just obviously not full value…otherwise there wouldn’t be a market for something more than that!

And no, the amount of money is not relevant at all, to anyone not in the market. No one cares whether a comms major tends bar or acts in major studio movies. There is nothing different about sports.
surly

Post by surly »

TDub wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:32 pm
Feral wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:32 pm
TDub wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:04 am rumor is we offered $2 mil to hunter Dickinson...
So, you're inclined to think it is or have reason to think that it's true?

(Not counting the things we've allegedly done before.)

I just used the Google machine to search for it, and came up empty.
https://www.mgoblog.com/mgoboard/chris- ... -dickinson

per the Michigan Sports senior reporter.

Ive seen it 2 othe replaces now, 1 said 2 mil 1 year, the other two said 4 mil 2 years.

Either way, its absurd and I greatly dislike this new era.
it's absurd to me that anyone would be willing to give millions for a college basketball star to play a year or two. perhaps money came so hard to me that it's crazy to think this is actually happening, if it is?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:14 pm
jfish26 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:34 am
TDub wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:40 am Plus, its just crazy to hold down the basketball players while the other communications majors are out there getting PAID
Where there’s a market for it, students get paid while they’re students.

The amount of money is irrelevant; a communications major who bartends gets paid what bartenders make. A communications major who is a Hollywood actress makes what Hollywood actresses make. They’re both communications majors, and both getting paid. And the world spins.

It’s not complicated.
my god. the amount of money is absolutely relevant.

Its not complicated.
Of course it is.
And no, it's not.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:45 pm
I have ALWAYS acknowledged the other side. I’ve NEVER said what they’re getting besides cash is valueless.
"Seems like there's some sort of historical precedent for this system, vis a vis passage to America, or payment of debts."

Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

TDub wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:17 pm if we're talking $100 tips from a shift at the wheel...we're not having this conversation at all.

There is nothing different about sports.
But there is....to a degree. Although Athletics departments aren't the same entity as the university, per se....they are still using university facilities, for housing and to play. It's not as simple as 'it's not different'. I have no problem with NIL, transfer portal, both as needed...but, we are in the wild west era of both, and it feels pretty dirty, even as an ardent college sports fan.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The assumption that NIL is face value, getting paid for what value you bring to the person/company your likeness is being used for, is as ludicrous as thinking KU didn't know anything about the payments to Preston or SDS.

NIL is a thinly disguised funnel for paying for players to play at your school.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:09 pm
I have ALWAYS acknowledged the other side. I’ve NEVER said what they’re getting besides cash is valueless.
"Seems like there's some sort of historical precedent for this system, vis a vis passage to America, or payment of debts."

I am not sure what you’re trying to achieve here. Don’t get all huffy about the comparison when it’s made…and then also bring it up unprompted.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"I’ve NEVER said what they’re getting besides cash is valueless."

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Just to clarify here, if we're stumped.

You were, at one point, saying the value of what college athletes got playing basketball was so low, that you compared it to slavery and indentured servitude.

I suppose, technically, that's not valueless, if we're being all semantic lawyery, yes.
But, I mean.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:39 pm The assumption that NIL is face value, getting paid for what value you bring to the person/company your likeness is being used for, is as ludicrous as thinking KU didn't know anything about the payments to Preston or SDS.

NIL is a thinly disguised funnel for paying for players to play at your school.
The market speaks for itself. I do agree that NIL is what you say it is (and on Preston, and so on). But the theatrics exist because of those on the “don’t pay players” side.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"The market speaks for itself" is one of the biggest arguments I have against what you want which is professional basketball for younger players borrowing from the brand of universities.

There are things more precious than money.
Money should not rule everything.
I know it's difficult for you.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:59 pm Just to clarify here, if we're stumped.

You were, at one point, saying the value of what college athletes got playing basketball was so low, that you compared it to slavery and indentured servitude.

I suppose, technically, that's not valueless, if we're being all semantic lawyery, yes.
But, I mean.
You’re purposefully mischaracterizing the comparison.

I wouldn’t have the first clue whether what indentured servants got, as compared with their value, is more or less than what college athletes’ non-cash compensation is (in comparison with their value).

But that’s not the point of the comparison!

The point of the comparison is that a system for compensating workers “in kind,” on a basis that can appropriately be described as “here’s what you get, you should be grateful,” has precedent.

Blows my mind that this is such a touchy subject.

If your employer or whoever hires you said, “dub, we’re not going to pay you cash. But we have decided that the work you do is worth room, board, training and fringe benefits,” you might very reasonably respond that that’s bullshit! And find someone who will pay you cash that, to you, is worth more than the value of those other things, to you.

Or maybe you wouldn’t. Who knows! But you have a choice - you have agency. Until recently, a basketball player’s only other choice was to not play college basketball at all.

And, as a college basketball fan, I think that it would be lame if cool players didn’t play college basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:03 pm "The market speaks for itself" is one of the biggest arguments I have against what you want which is professional basketball for younger players borrowing from the brand of universities.

There are things more precious than money.
Money should not rule everything.
I know it's difficult for you.
I’m not saying money should rule everything! I’m saying players should have choices just like everyone else!

Lots and lots and lots of people choose non-money things over money. Choose.

What’s stupid is forcing kids to choose cash OR college basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That’s not stupid at all.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:11 pm

But, I mean.

I wouldn’t have the first clue whether what indentured servants got, as compared with their value, is more or less than what college athletes’ non-cash compensation is (in comparison with their value).

The point of the comparison is that a system for compensating workers “in kind,” on a basis that can appropriately be described as “here’s what you get, you should be grateful,” has precedent.

If your employer or whoever hires you said, “dub, we’re not going to pay you cash. But we have decided that the work you do is worth room, board, training and fringe benefits,” you might very reasonably respond that that’s bullshit! And find someone who will pay you cash that, to you, is worth more than the value of those other things, to you.

Or maybe you wouldn’t. Who knows! But you have a choice - you have agency. Until recently, a basketball player’s only other choice was to not play college basketball at all.

And, as a college basketball fan, I think that it would be lame if cool players didn’t play college basketball.
Lotta words to try and argue out of a clear got ya moment.

See below:
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:56 pm "I’ve NEVER said what they’re getting besides cash is valueless."

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:23 pm
jfish26 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:11 pm

But, I mean.

Lotta words to try and argue out of a clear got ya moment.
Lol the rent is so, so free.

You brought up the historical comparisons, unprompted. And then you tell me the purpose of my own comparisons.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:27 pm
pdub wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:56 pm "I’ve NEVER said what they’re getting besides cash is valueless."

What point do you think you’re making here?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:21 pm That’s not stupid at all.
Ok. So if you woke up tomorrow and your pay was in room/board/fringe benefits, no cash…your reaction would be…what?