2023 Transfer Portal and NBA Declarations

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: 2023 Transfer Portal and NBA Declarations

Post by ousdahl »

lol

yea, I dunno if those two quotes are as contradictory or whatever, nor am I sure they're the "got ya" moment he wants them to be.

to me, the only real difference now is that the money is on the table, rather than under it.

I'm not sure whether the Purity Of Amateurism crowd is upset that players can get paid NIL deals now; or that they're just upset they have to hear about it, and can no longer pretend players have been getting paid all along.

and, again, in some bigger picture, of all the different ways one could fuss about the monetization of absolutely everything, I dunno if student ath-o-letes of all things are really the pearls to be clutching, to the exclusion of so many other matters.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If I woke up tomorrow and I was 18 and got to go to school for free, living in nice state of art dorms, with people publicizing me, people training me, with a stipend, I’d be pretty psyched.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I can’t believe someone can’t look at both those quotes and say, oh, ok, well, yea, he never said there was pretty much no value, but ok, welcome to crazy town.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The only stance you can take now is that there was value in indentured servitude and slavery for the servants and slaves.

Otherwise, at some point, JFish DID say that what the college athletes got besides cash was valueless.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

It's off-season, huh
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Totes.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:17 pm The only stance you can take now is that there was value in indentured servitude and slavery for the servants and slaves.

Otherwise, at some point, JFish DID say that what the college athletes got besides cash was valueless.
No, I’ve never said that. Not one time.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:06 pm If I woke up tomorrow and I was 18 and got to go to school for free, living in nice state of art dorms, with people publicizing me, people training me, with a stipend, I’d be pretty psyched.
Ok. Even if you knew what you know about the economics of the game?

If you say yes, I don’t at all doubt your genuineness. You’ve been very consistent (which I respect, even where I disagree).

But the issue is one of choice - I personally don’t think it makes any sense for a player to be forced to choose cash OR college basketball.

What’s the point of that? Who benefits from players having to make that choice? Who is harmed by players having the same agency you have?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:08 pm I can’t believe someone can’t look at both those quotes and say, oh, ok, well, yea, he never said there was pretty much no value, but ok, welcome to crazy town.
But…me saying there was value is right there. In both quotes!

I know you strongly disagree with me on this issue, but mischaracterizing my arguments really weakens yours.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:24 pm
pdub wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:06 pm If I woke up tomorrow and I was 18 and got to go to school for free, living in nice state of art dorms, with people publicizing me, people training me, with a stipend, I’d be pretty psyched.

If you say yes, I don’t at all doubt your genuineness. You’ve been very consistent (which I respect, even where I disagree).
Yea.
I’m in college.
Even in college, I understood, hey, enjoy this, it’s college, you got an entire life time ahead to be worried about the plight of “disenfranchised peoples” while doing nothing actually but still making a top one percent salary in the USA.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:26 pm
pdub wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:08 pm I can’t believe someone can’t look at both those quotes and say, oh, ok, well, yea, he never said there was pretty much no value, but ok, welcome to crazy town.
But…me saying there was value is right there. In both quotes!

I know you strongly disagree with me on this issue, but mischaracterizing my arguments really weakens yours.
I can’t.
This feels like trying to explain something to randy.

viewtopic.php?p=332080#p332080
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:57 pm

Yea.
I’m in college.
Even in college, I understood, hey, enjoy this, it’s college, you got an entire life time ahead to be worried about the plight of “disenfranchised peoples” while doing nothing actually but still making a top one percent salary in the USA.
Ok. A lot of the guys who play high major college basketball don’t have the luxury of that perspective. I prefer a world where they don’t have to choose between cash and college basketball, because I (selfishly) want them playing college basketball.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Harrison Ingram committed to UNC...I think we all saw this coming after he "postponed" his visit to KU.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:46 pm

Yea.
I’m in college.
Ok. A lot of the guys who play high major college basketball don’t have the luxury of that perspective. I prefer a world where they don’t have to choose between cash and college basketball, because I (selfishly) want them playing college basketball.
Lol.
Here comes the guy who earns a top one percent salary talking about the disenfranchised while actually doing nothing about it.

If you just stuck to "i'm fine with college basketball having less and less to do with college and more about the best players outside of the NBA playing for 1-5 years" then that'd be something that I could ( and have ) understand that we just agree to disagree on. And I get that angle too. It's just definitely not for me.

It's the whole "save the poor college athlete, they don't have the luxury...blah my god you have no idea...", coming from you, that just eye rolls my eyes straight out of my skull.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

InfiniteJ wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:56 pm Harrison Ingram committed to UNC...I think we all saw this coming after he "postponed" his visit to KU.
UNC is a demonstrated good place for a big, can’t-shoot wing named Harrison.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:09 pm
jfish26 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:46 pm

Yea.
I’m in college.
Lol.
Here comes the guy who earns a top one percent salary talking about the disenfranchised while actually doing nothing about it.
This is just so confusing.

What makes you think I don’t put my money (whatever it is) where my mouth is, on subjects like this? Is being aware of my own privilege…somehow an indication of me having a cartoon mustache and cackling as kids go down into the mines?

I came from very little. Grew up in a very blue collar neighborhood, relied on the generosity of others for pretty much everything I did as a kid (baseball gloves, amusement parks, etc.). I can empathize, not just sympathize, with kids who (until now) faced a pretty jacked up choice, cash or college hoops.

I’d much rather our guys not have to make that choice. It’s good for them, and it’s good for me (because I love KU basketball, and want cool dudes to want to play college basketball at KU).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You don't.
But you can make grandiose and ambiguous comments like that to deflect as if you do.
And god the whole I came from nothing too.

Eyes rocketing out of my skull.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ingram to carolina
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:26 pm You don't.
But you can make grandiose and ambiguous comments like that to deflect as if you do.
And god the whole I came from nothing too.

Eyes rocketing out of my skull.
Learn something new (about myself) every day, I guess. Good talk.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Ingram, though a talented wing, felt like a horrible fit for next year's roster

Would love to get mccullar back. Or bring in a forward that can shoot