Charges

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Charges

Post by jfish26 »

Feral wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:44 am

Can we just give MAGA and its assorted loons Florida (granting PR statehood to keep us at 50) and call it a century?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Let me put my house on the market, first.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:28 pm He'll just pay with campaign finance funds.
Nothing like paying your fine for felonious behavior by committing a different felony.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Feral wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:51 am Let me put my house on the market, first.
Best not to wait too long. I have another friend who is looking at moving to the Empire. We will be closing the gates to the valley before you know it.

Except for migrant workers, they can come as many as they like and stay for as long as they want. They are Alpha workers. You can never have too many Alphas liberals around.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Good job, Trump:

The amended lawsuit, seeking at least $10 million in damages, was filed in Manhattan fed court by lawyers for E. Jean Carroll, who says remarks by Trump after she made rape allegations against him so spoiled her rep, she lost her longtime job as an Elle magazine advice columnist.

Here are the details:

Attorneys for Carroll say that
Trump’s repeated denials that he sexually abused Ms. Carroll ‘show the depth of his malice’ and merit heavy damages.

Ms. Carroll’s filing Monday in Manhattan federal court seeks to intensify the financial pain for Donald Trump who was already ordered to pay Carroll $2 million for the sexual abuse and $3 million for the defamation.

Monday’s filing came in a separate defamation lawsuit that Ms. Carroll had filed in 2019 against Mr. Trump, 76, which is before the same judge who presided in the civil trial but had been sidetracked by appeals.

During Trump’s Town Hall, he AGAIN denied assaulting Carroll and called her a “wack job.”

Punitive damages, or exemplary damages, are damages assessed in order to punish the defendant for outrageous conduct and/or to reform or deter the defendant and others from engaging in conduct similar to that which formed the basis of the lawsuit.

Derek Cressman
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Feral wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:29 pm Good job, Trump:

The amended lawsuit, seeking at least $10 million in damages, was filed in Manhattan fed court by lawyers for E. Jean Carroll, who says remarks by Trump after she made rape allegations against him so spoiled her rep, she lost her longtime job as an Elle magazine advice columnist.

Here are the details:

Attorneys for Carroll say that
Trump’s repeated denials that he sexually abused Ms. Carroll ‘show the depth of his malice’ and merit heavy damages.

Ms. Carroll’s filing Monday in Manhattan federal court seeks to intensify the financial pain for Donald Trump who was already ordered to pay Carroll $2 million for the sexual abuse and $3 million for the defamation.

Monday’s filing came in a separate defamation lawsuit that Ms. Carroll had filed in 2019 against Mr. Trump, 76, which is before the same judge who presided in the civil trial but had been sidetracked by appeals.

During Trump’s Town Hall, he AGAIN denied assaulting Carroll and called her a “wack job.”

Punitive damages, or exemplary damages, are damages assessed in order to punish the defendant for outrageous conduct and/or to reform or deter the defendant and others from engaging in conduct similar to that which formed the basis of the lawsuit.

I don't think the second defamation suit will really have legs...but it may well (by design) result in a judge tossing it out saying that it's not possible she suffered additional damages here because everyone already KNOWS Trump is an assualty scumbag.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I think Claire McCaskill and some other lawyers thought it might be a stretch too, but I think she also noted, and it's why I added the part about Punitive damages, because they're also meant to ...deter the defendant and others from engaging in conduct similar..., which the previous amount has obviously not sufficiently done.
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Karen would like to speak to the manager?

Derek Cressman
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Feral wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:12 pm I think Claire McCaskill and some other lawyers thought it might be a stretch too, but I think she also noted, and it's why I added the part about Punitive damages, because they're also meant to ...deter the defendant and others from engaging in conduct similar..., which the previous amount has obviously not sufficiently done.
Punitive is right here. He seems to have doubled down after losing.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Feral wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:37 pm Karen would like to speak to the manager?

I ain't no louyer but this seems very amateur to me.
Broham
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I’m very much not THIS kind of lawyer, but I gather this is actually pretty standard. And it will likely be standardly hand-waved away.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Now, the tone of the letter itself…yes, clowny.

HUNTER HUNTER HUNTER
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Sorry I was not clear. I was referring to the whining about Hunter Biden and then to go on whining about being investigating. I expect it from DDD, but thought his lawyers would be adults.
Broham
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If Trump’s lawyers were adults, they wouldn’t be Trump’s lawyers.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

This reminds me of a time I went to court. I called Leawood to get his recommendation for an attorney. He always had good advice, his recommendation was spot on. On the first trip to court, the other side's lawyer went on a 15 minute rant about all the various ways that divorce laws are different in KS than they are in MO and that we are right on the State line and all of the monetary extras would be afforded his client if we were in KS and how much money his client was "losing" and blah, blah, blah. As someone who hadn't been to court much this all sounded rather serious, he was making this plea to a judge who was listening. My attorney stood there quietly biding her time. She finally asked the other attorney if he was a finished. He affirmed that he was. She turned to the judge and asked him "Are we in Jackson County, Missouri?". He answered "yes" with a slight smirk on his face. "This will be adjudicated using Missouri law", was the next thing out of his mouth. My attorney just nodded in the affirmative and said "Thank you, your honor." A swipe of the hand and we moved along.

The tendency to make outlandish claims and complaints in a court or to a court has been pretty shocking to me when I see them in action as the engineering profession operates under a different code it seems. One of the other things that come with these proceedings is that I would file a monthly record of expenses with the court and they get shared between parties. I got a nasty email complaining at one point about how my lawyer's fees were half of what the other parties were. The implication being "that's not fair!". The context being that the other party was also doing the paralegal work for their attorney in an attempt to keep costs low. But it seems that all of the those frivolous rantings and requests and demands which were dismissed with a swipe of the hand were time consuming (time = money) to write up and file in spite of their lack of success. Attorneys bill by the hour, we have that in common.

My attorney said something to me once that makes me laugh every time I hear the phrase, "pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered."
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:49 am If Trump’s lawyers were adults, they wouldn’t be Trump’s lawyers.
Lots of adults choose money over morals and principles. And even more lawyers do the necessary mental logic of "it's principled to represent scumbags because even scumbags deserve representation in the court of law" when said scumbag has a ton of money.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

japhy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:58 am This reminds me of a time I went to court. I called Leawood to get his recommendation for an attorney. He always had good advice, his recommendation was spot on. On the first trip to court, the other side's lawyer went on a 15 minute rant about all the various ways that divorce laws are different in KS than they are in MO and that we are right on the State line and all of the monetary extras would be afforded his client if we were in KS and how much money his client was "losing" and blah, blah, blah. As someone who hadn't been to court much this all sounded rather serious, he was making this plea to a judge who was listening. My attorney stood there quietly biding her time. She finally asked the other attorney if he was a finished. He affirmed that he was. She turned to the judge and asked him "Are we in Jackson County, Missouri?". He answered "yes" with a slight smirk on his face. "This will be adjudicated using Missouri law", was the next thing out of his mouth. My attorney just nodded in the affirmative and said "Thank you, your honor." A swipe of the hand and we moved along.

The tendency to make outlandish claims and complaints in a court or to a court has been pretty shocking to me when I see them in action as the engineering profession operates under a different code it seems. One of the other things that come with these proceedings is that I would file a monthly record of expenses with the court and they get shared between parties. I got a nasty email complaining at one point about how my lawyer's fees were half of what the other parties were. The implication being "that's not fair!". The context being that the other party was also doing the paralegal work for their attorney in an attempt to keep costs low. But it seems that all of the those frivolous rantings and requests and demands which were dismissed with a swipe of the hand were time consuming (time = money) to write up and file in spite of their lack of success. Attorneys bill by the hour, we have that in common.

My attorney said something to me once that makes me laugh every time I hear the phrase, "pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered."
Huh, I always thought it was “pigs get fat.”

Anyway.

The other old legal saw that comes to mind in your story is, when the facts are on your side, pound the facts. When the law is on your side, pound the law. When neither the facts nor the law are on your side…pound the table.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://wbur.org/onpoint/2023/05/24/hun ... -biden-son

an interesting conversation about Hunter Biden
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I lost some immature grapes to squirrels this year. And I thought deeply about why Hunter Biden let that happen. I mean they were seedless white grapes. What did he have against them? Why did he have to let them take it all?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Derek Cressman