an even more frightening perspective

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: an even more frightening perspective

Post by ousdahl »

Now the gummint wants to block sunlight to slow climate change…isnt this the plot to a Simpson’s episode?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

eh…not quite

there has been approval to look into it
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i bet justin trudeau is behind this.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:30 pm eh…not quite

here's an idea....how's bout we start living with nature/the universe instead of trying to change it?
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:33 pm

here's an idea....how's bout we start living with nature/the universe instead of trying to change it?
See comment in other thread (not directed at YOUR thought process there, or here) about denying reality until reality sits on one's face and wiggles.

We (collectively) have blown well past the point of preventing climatological (and, relatedly, ecological and humanitarian) disaster with small changes in behavior.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:45 pm

See comment in other thread (not directed at YOUR thought process there, or here) about denying reality until reality sits on one's face and wiggles.

We (collectively) have blown well past the point of preventing climatological (and, relatedly, ecological and humanitarian) disaster with small changes in behavior.
sure, I think thats true. I guess its just crazy to me that it exploded to this point. I mean, I get it. The industrial revolution and all the technology advancements that came with it and allowed our civilizations to flourish in more comfort with less effort are all direct results and we are all guilty to some extent of contributing to that process.

But...for thousands and thousands of years we lived with nature and within the confines of nature for the most part....and then at some point we said we don't need to live with the land...we own the land....fuck it...we shall plunder it dry.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

although I mean....i mean....when I think sits on a face and wiggles.....climate change isn't at the top of my brain....
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:08 pm although I mean....i mean....when I think sits on a face and wiggles.....climate change isn't at the top of my brain....
Dunno where (geographically or otherwise) you were for this...

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

impossible

i’ve long argued that the only way “out” is wholesale and fundamental change in behavior

at the risk of going all qousdahl, i think much of the change would have to be focused on the current model of capitalism - rather than incentivizing products produced the cheapest, we should be prioritizing products produced with the least impact

the problem, as i see it, is that it’s become too “politicized”, both directly and indirectly, to rely on enough individuals making the necessary changes
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I suppose that’s what separates trad from Q…

The latter is at least coming around to the idea that maybe products produced with the least impact is simply incompatible with capitalism.

Capitalism is always gonna incentivize products produced the cheapest. It’s a defining feature of capitalism

or rather, if you have any insight into how to get capitalism to prioritize anything besides keeping costs low and profits high, please do enlighten me.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

except you’re wrong

that doesn’t separate us…it’s something we agree on

that’s why i chastise folks that eat nutella
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

How am I wrong?

If the free market* had a better idea to curb this thread, when’s it gonna start?

*besides ideas a ridiculous as trying to literally block the sun, and other ideas that are still just sidestepping the actual issue of systemic change…
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:18 pm

impossible

i’ve long argued that the only way “out” is wholesale and fundamental change in behavior

at the risk of going all qousdahl, i think much of the change would have to be focused on the current model of capitalism - rather than incentivizing products produced the cheapest, we should be prioritizing products produced with the least impact

the problem, as i see it, is that it’s become too “politicized”, both directly and indirectly, to rely on enough individuals making the necessary changes
Sadly, color me skeptical*.

“When faced with a choice between confronting an unpleasant reality and defending a set of comforting and socially accepted beliefs, most people choose the latter course.”
James Bovard

*If the pandemic taught us anything, it's that if there's nothing, like consideration for the health of their fellow Americans or an effort to protect the members of the health system, to name only two, that will overcome the selfishness of the general public and motivate them to do something as simple as wear a mask, the idea that people are willing in sufficient numbers to inconvenience themselves to any extent in order to achieve a slowdown in the increasing temperature of the earth, strikes me as wishful thinking.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

sooo

Monday, July 3 was the hottest day on earth ever recorded.

That record was subsequently broken, when Tuesday, July 4, said, "hold my fossil fuels and watch THIS!"
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

in 1923 detroit recorded 8 straight days of above 100 degrees temp. if those bastards would have dealt with it back then i wouldn't have to listen to you whiners.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

goddamn you’re dumb
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

it's nbd tho...Mr. Burns always did have a heart of gold.

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:44 pm How am I wrong?

If the free market* had a better idea to curb this thread, when’s it gonna start?

*besides ideas a ridiculous as trying to literally block the sun, and other ideas that are still just sidestepping the actual issue of systemic change…
you were wrong in that my view and Q’s are generally the same, not different

our economic system incentivizes the wrong thing/s