Ohh.

Cool!

Thanks for the clarification

and, welcome abored, comrade.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: an even more frightening perspective

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:18 pm Ohh.

Cool!

Thanks for the clarification

and, welcome abored, comrade.
except i’ve been on this boat for the last 20 years or so
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Feral wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:52 pm
KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:18 pm
TDub wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:33 pm

here's an idea....how's bout we start living with nature/the universe instead of trying to change it?
impossible

i’ve long argued that the only way “out” is wholesale and fundamental change in behavior

at the risk of going all qousdahl, i think much of the change would have to be focused on the current model of capitalism - rather than incentivizing products produced the cheapest, we should be prioritizing products produced with the least impact

the problem, as i see it, is that it’s become too “politicized”, both directly and indirectly, to rely on enough individuals making the necessary changes
Sadly, color me skeptical*.

“When faced with a choice between confronting an unpleasant reality and defending a set of comforting and socially accepted beliefs, most people choose the latter course.”
James Bovard

*If the pandemic taught us anything, it's that if there's nothing, like consideration for the health of their fellow Americans or an effort to protect the members of the health system, to name only two, that will overcome the selfishness of the general public and motivate them to do something as simple as wear a mask, the idea that people are willing in sufficient numbers to inconvenience themselves to any extent in order to achieve a slowdown in the increasing temperature of the earth, strikes me as wishful thinking.
Actually just a conceited notion in my opinion. But giv’em an “A” or maybe a “B” for effort.
(You have to wonder about blocking those sun rays with high cirrus clouds). Climate colonialism…
Last edited by dolomite on Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Originally Imzcount (Why do politicians think “hope” is a plan ?)
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I cant read that graph but I'm going to assume its depressing
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:35 pm I cant read that graph but I'm going to assume its depressing
sorry if it’s pay-walled

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... -extremes/
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:53 pm
TDub wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:35 pm I cant read that graph but I'm going to assume its depressing
sorry if it’s pay-walled

I mean obviously none of that is good.

But why'd they leave out 2017,18,20 and 21? Makes it seem like they're cherry picking data... I think the data is good enough (bad enough?) that they don't need to exclude years to make the argument....but leaving them out gives wiggle room to those who want to argue what is the equivalent of semantics or something equally arbitrary.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:39 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:53 pm
sorry if it’s pay-walled

I mean obviously none of that is good.

But why'd they leave out 2017,18,20 and 21? Makes it seem like they're cherry picking data... I think the data is good enough (bad enough?) that they don't need to exclude years to make the argument....but leaving them out gives wiggle room to those who want to argue what is the equivalent of semantics or something equally arbitrary.
did they leave them out entirely or just not highlight them?

2016 was highlighted because of the abnormally strong El Niño that year

for some reason, the graph doesn’t show up in the “reader” mode now

here’s another version:

and the original source: https://climate.copernicus.eu/copernicu ... 150c-limit
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... oo-217345/

… “This is no different from the smoking issue. The tobacco industry knew for years and years and years and decades, that smoking would kill people, would harm people and create cancer, and were hiding that fact from the people and denied it. Then eventually they were taken to court and had to pay hundreds of millions of dollars because of that,” Schwarzenegger said. “The oil companies knew from 1959 on, they did their own study that there would be global warming happening because of fossil fuels, and on top of it that it would be risky for people’s lives, that it would kill.”

“We’re going to go after them, and we’re going to be in there like an Alabama tick. Because to me it’s absolutely irresponsible to know that your product is killing people and not have a warning label on it, like tobacco,” he said. “Every gas station on it, every car should have a warning label on it, every product that has fossil fuels should have a warning label on it.”…
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

warning label? that's the big move? ok
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the governator comes off bit cuckoo, admittedly

but, he seems like he’s at his wit’s end…as am i most days
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

So, you’re a nervous wreck about this global warming? My God man, you know there’s a saying, “only worry about things that you have control over”. If the temperature of our earth is gonna rise then it will. Humankind hasn’t had any success so far.
Originally Imzcount (Why do politicians think “hope” is a plan ?)
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Because we haven't tried?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

maybe if we had an ACTUAL progressive vision among our leaders, instead of this "who cares if we're breaking one hottest-day-ever record after another while the incumbent potus remains all cozy with big oil, cuz the important thing is, vote blue no matter who!"
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Progressives aren't blue?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I don't have any kids or a wife or anything that I might leave behind upon my death. Why should I care?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

defixione wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:03 am Progressives aren't blue?
he was poking fun at the fact that regardless of your political 'color' (dare I say proclivities), your color isn't really trying to get meaningful change done.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Yet?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

dolomite wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:30 am So, you’re a nervous wreck about this global warming? My God man, you know there’s a saying, “only worry about things that you have control over”. If the temperature of our earth is gonna rise then it will. Humankind hasn’t had any success so far.
kindly fuck off, thanks

the “oh well” attitude is a large part of what got us here, and your posting history on this subject through the years leaves little doubt that you’ve been more part of the problem than the solution